Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys...well its time for another oil change and i was thinking of doing Ams oil. but should i go with Full synthetic, Semi, or non-Synthetic. would Synthetic hurt my motor?. My commander has just over 41,000 kms (26,000 miles roughly) any recomendations? obviously ill stick with the recomended 5w-30.

·
Super Moderator
14,915 Posts
Synthetic will not hurt your engine and will give you a little better protection than dino oil. Many of the members here are running full synthetic, including me. I am using Castrol Syntec full synthetic. What engine do you have ?

·
Super Moderator
14,915 Posts

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
hey guys...well its time for another oil change and i was thinking of doing Ams oil. but should i go with Full synthetic, Semi, or non-Synthetic. would Synthetic hurt my motor?. My commander has just over 41,000 kms (26,000 miles roughly) any recomendations? obviously ill stick with the recomended 5w-30.
What you'll really pick up on in the way cold north is how much faster it will crank at cold start.
Synthetics don't thicken till about -60.
Because of this easier cranking, starters tend to last longer as well.
Final benifit, beyond almost no measurable wear, is almost instant oil pressure at cold start.
Conventional oil will not achieve full pressure at -20 and lower for almost 30 seconds!

Run with it, your engine and related components will thank you.

Rob

·
Super Moderator
14,915 Posts
CanadianCommander, you may also want to consider a Fumoto oil drain valve as discussed in this thread: Fumoto

·
Super Moderator
14,915 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
the bailout

thats why America needs a bailout. u all buying these japaneese made drains plugs and hids.. etc.

get a wrench....

:O)

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey im Canadian i had no part in you "american "Bail out""....hahaha its funny cuz in The U.S.A. the government bails you out......in Canada the Oil field and oil sands companies bail out the government....hahaha:stickpoke:

·
Registered
266 Posts
I was looking at changing all the oils (including the diffs) to Royal Purple. I too was curious to how many people run Synth oil. My mentor who sold me my Commander says first thing to do is an oil change to get rid of the Dino oil to Synth

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I found a six pack of mobile one at Costco yesterday and almost made the switch, I am still running Dino oil with just over 9,000 miles on my XK. Considering switching over at the 12,000 mile oil change

·
Registered
953 Posts
I've been running Mobil 1 in my vehicles for a few years now (engine and gear oils). The reason for Mobil 1 is that it's great quality and readily available in places like Walmart. Unfortunately, during my last trip to Walmart, they were out of Mobil 1 engine oil so I went with Castrol since it was the only one there in 5W-20 which the Hemi requires. I can't say I've noticed any difference and it was $1 - $2 less expensive.

·
2,248 Posts
It is after you break in the engine. Synthetic is not as good for use in seating close tolerances in a new engine. The real benefits of synthetic are most helpful after the initial wear has taken place. Probably after the second oil change, or third if you change the initial oil early like some do.

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
when you think about it as well, you can go 6000+ miles on synthetic. you should only go about 3000 miles with dino.

you will save money and time by not having to change your oil all the time. and your engine will last twice as long. i've seen many of these 4.7 V8's run on synthetic with over 200K miles on them.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts