Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
No, it is not like a Wrangler where it is in 2WD until you put it in 4Hi or 4Lo. Yours is Full-time 4WD and can be put in 4Lo with the little silver "t" lever on the console next to the shifter. Read your Owner's Manual for more info. If you do not have one you can download it here--->https://www.mopar.com/jeep/en-us/care/owners-manual.html?openGarage=true

·
Super Moderator
5,920 Posts
Hello,

I just pulled up my Build Sheet from: How to Get Your Factory Jeep Build Sheet - Jeepsies
It says that my 2007 Commander Limited has Quadra-Trac II Full-Time,Active 4WD. :crying:
I thought when its not manually put into 4 wheel drive its in 2 wheel drive. Is this not the case or am I reading this wrong?
@BLEE8282 ;

4 x 4 Commanders - regardless of which 4WD system you have, are in 4-HI all the time - unless you manually drop down into 4-LOW, they are not capable of switching from 4WD to 2WD.

Quadra-Trac II and Quadra-Drive II both are equipped with the NV245 two-speed transfer case which gives you the capability to shift down into 4-LOW using the silver T-Handle jeep5253 was talking about - which you can see in the photo below circled in blue;

·
Registered
338 Posts
Do not use that lever unless you are on a slippery surface and going less than 20mph! Using it on dry pavement at regular driving speeds can damage the system.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thx. I wondered about that cause it seemed to act like it was in 1st gear. I was thinking it worked like the 4 wheel drive button on my Tahoe. I appreciate the help.

·
Super Moderator
5,920 Posts
Do not use that lever unless you are on a slippery surface and going less than 20mph! Using it on dry pavement at regular driving speeds can damage the system.
Ideally, you want to be stopped - and in neutral, when switching into 4-LOW.

Being on a slippery surface is not as important as what I just mentioned - but it is recommended.

You can switch into 4-LOW on a hard surface without causing any damage to your 4WD system, as long as you are gentle & deliberate when you accelerate.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Mine will not go into 4L unless you are stopped. If you can move yours rolling, it's broke.

Ideally, you want to be stopped - and in neutral, when switching into 4-LOW.

Being on a slippery surface is not as important as what I just mentioned - but it is recommended.

You can switch into 4-LOW on a hard surface without causing any damage to your 4WD system, as long as you are gentle & deliberate when you accelerate.

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
From the Owner's Manual:

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
And unless you're rolling in a straight line you don't want to engage 4 LO since the driveshafts are all locked together - there's no differentiation from side to side or front to back in the driveline. I've watched guys snap a CV shaft when trying to turn on a hard surface when in 4 LO or Part Time in other Jeep models.

The 4 LO range is only for slippery surfaces or in situations - like when pulling a boat up a boat ramp - where you're going in a straight line.

FWIW...

Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts