Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Posted a pic of the front tubes when I made them (in my introduction post). Here's the back set on. Absolutely love them. Have guys tracking me down for several miles just to talk to me about them. Taking the doors off is a mother.. but man is it worth it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Look Neat

They are cool but since it is my Wifes car and our trip car, I think they are a bit airy, as at least this year it has been raining a lot here and they better be quick disconnect.
Nice job on them anyway just not practical for me.

Swanny

·
Registered
20 Posts
Posted a pic of the front tubes when I made them (in my introduction post). Here's the back set on. Absolutely love them. Have guys tracking me down for several miles just to talk to me about them. Taking the doors off is a mother.. but man is it worth it.

That looks sick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are cool but since it is my Wifes car and our trip car, I think they are a bit airy, as at least this year it has been raining a lot here and they better be quick disconnect.
Nice job on them anyway just not practical for me.

Swanny
Thanks Swanny! They are quite windy, but my commute is minimal. They come with a quick disconnect from the factory. That was the only reason I made them. That and to boost my fab skills. As for the rain, I have a 200" SUV cover that stays in the back. If it's going to rain for several days in a row, I throw the big doors back on (about an hour). They are a ton of fun, but in all honesty, not very practical. I was going to buy and build an XJ, but my wife had the Commander. I decided to buy her a new family car and build the XK. Thanks for your comment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They'd look great - on a Wrangler.

On a Commander - not so much.

You get an "A" for originality though.
No worries! To each their own. I hated the look of it with only the front ones on.. but after I made the back ones I really liked it. I get guys that come up to me almost every day that love them and most of them want to pay me to make some for them. I always find people taking pictures of it and get the thumbs up. On the flip side, sometimes when I'm rolling down the road I see people "usually in Mercedes or BMW's" and they have WTF written all over their face.. haha. I don't mind. My taste / my build. Most of my parts come off my welding table, not in the mail.

Cheers

·
Administrator
6,290 Posts
No worries! To each their own. I hated the look of it with only the front ones on.. but after I made the back ones I really liked it. I get guys that come up to me almost every day that love them and most of them want to pay me to make some for them. I always find people taking pictures of it and get the thumbs up. On the flip side, sometimes when I'm rolling down the road I see people "usually in Mercedes or BMW's" and they have WTF written all over their face.. haha. I don't mind. My taste / my build. Most of my parts come off my welding table, not in the mail.

Cheers
I guess it really comes down to how you plan on using your Commander - and how many vehicles you own.

If you have your XK as a 2nd "play" vehicle, I can see doing a mod like that with the doors - because you are using it with a few very specific purposes in mind; going out in the woods to hunt, camp, fish or just trail riding, you're not using it as your daily driver.

But if your XK is your ONLY vehicle and your daily driver, doing a mod like that with the doors and having the interior get all weather beaten and mucked up, and having no protection from the elements, really doesn't make much sense.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I absolutely love it. I am just getting into this XK after daily driving an old TJ for the last ten years. Not being able to have the top and doors off is going to bother me when the weather really gets hot next month.

I do agree w Blue about the interior because my TJ's was always a mess. But I feel like it would be well worth it. And if it only takes an hour to throw the full doors back on, it's not that bad. You just tend to watch the weather a little more intensely than the normal person.

Bowhunter- any issues with local law enforcement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
XKbowhunterXK, Hey dude! I shared your pic on Jeep Commander Nation facebook group, it got 100+likes and many people asking who made them and that they wanted ones. If you feel like showing more pics of your Commander join the group :).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayum! Looks great!

If I didn't play in the snow or hate all the wind at highway speeds I'd probably be one of those cats asking you how.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Still have these? Any tips on how I could make my own?

·
Registered
150 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts