Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and technically do not own a commander yet! I'm looking at getting one within the next couple of weeks. But right now just looking at some mods etc.

So, I looked through many of the CAI threads and could not find exactly what I'm looking for. My commander will be my daily driver. I want the hemi only. I drive 55 miles a day to college and looking for best gas mileage. I also travel to silver lake and will pull a 3000 pound trailer 600 miles. At silver lake, it will be taken on the dunes. I want the best performance, with the best millage. Right now, K&N looks like the best choice. Trying to keep it the same price as the K&N,.

Not to offend anyone, I have seen several of custom made intakes on this website. However, I want a fully sealed system.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and technically do not own a commander yet! I'm looking at getting one within the next couple of weeks. But right now just looking at some mods etc.

So, I looked through many of the CAI threads and could not find exactly what I'm looking for. My commander will be my daily driver. I want the hemi only. I drive 55 miles a day to college and looking for best gas mileage. I also travel to silver lake and will pull a 3000 pound trailer 600 miles. At silver lake, it will be taken on the dunes. I want the best performance, with the best millage. Right now, K&N looks like the best choice. Trying to keep it the same price as the K&N,.

Not to offend anyone, I have seen several of custom made intakes on this website. However, I want a fully sealed system.

Hello RipTheSix,

The Overall Quality of Components, FIT & Finish, and Performance of the AIRAID are 2nd to None!

All AIRAID Intake are Made in the USA and Feature our Lifetime “No-Hassle” Warranty!

Thanks,
David

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
You will NOT find a "fully Sealed system", If you did you would more than likely be looking at a snorkel like I have. All CAI have open spots to allow air into the filter portion.

·
Registered
248 Posts
CAI is designed to suck in as much cold air as possible so like it was mentioned the filters are generally exposed to the air. If you want a more sealed system then simply keep the stock air filter setup but put a K&N filter into the stock airbox instead of the factory air filter. That will give it some more breathing power.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Im pretty sure when he says fully sealed he means sealed from the engine bay warm air. A sealed CAI draw only fresh air from outside the engine bay. Not water tight. No intake is literally sealed, otherwise its not an intake.

Ill be building a stainless sealed box within the next 2 weeks and a 4" intake, Ill post up pics when Im done.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I miss spoke, I met a system with a shield. Ive see several DIY intakes where the air filter just hangs in the engine bay.

I just purchased the AEM Brute Force Intake. Actually looking at it right now. Ill have my jeep next Friday, I'm going to wait about a week or so until I install this intake.

·
Registered
688 Posts
The K&N setup I had in my Commander had a shield exactly like the one pictured above on the Airaid. If the AEM is the same, you'll just need to fabricate a box around where the filter sits that conforms to the shape of the side of the engine compartment and has a bottom. You can work out whether it needs a top (removable so you can access the filter) or if a gasket around the top will suffice. I don't think the stock filter box is shaped right to be adapted to enclosing the cone filter.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
CAI is designed to suck in as much cold air as possible so like it was mentioned the filters are generally exposed to the air. If you want a more sealed system then simply keep the stock air filter setup but put a K&N filter into the stock airbox instead of the factory air filter. That will give it some more breathing power.
That is what I did, I bought the K&N filter. What I would like to do is replace the tube from the box to the throttle body.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts