Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a fun day at Jeep Rocks on July 31st. We tried everything there and enjoyed it. Here are a few pics for you to enjoy.

Here we are at the beginning of the Jeep Owner's Playground. There are a couple of shots of the minor casualty of the mud pit. By the time we ran in the pit, there was a decent sized hole at the exit end. The cheapo plastic skid had to go. I had to tie it up to keep from dragging on the ride home. Notice the lanyard from my wifes Jeep Rocks pass.

I think we wore the "Little Jeepers" out!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Glad you guys had a good time. I love the pics of the girls asleep. We have an album's worth of our girl asleep in the car. I wish I could sleep like that without waking up with paralysis of the neck.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Did you get to drive the 2011 Grand Cherokee ?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did drive the new 2011 Grand. They had a small on-pavement course set up for several 2011 models. The only one being driven was the Grand. I wanted to take the seat home with me. I could have slept it in easily. The ride was very car-like. I'm not sure if that is a good thing, but it turned in a very tight radius and was very smooth. Every course had to be driven with a staff member as co-pilot. Therefore, my wife and kids rode in the back of the Grand. It was roomy and comfortable for them. They are all 3 slight though.

·
Registered
954 Posts
We had a fun day at Jeep Rocks on July 31st. We tried everything there and enjoyed it. Here are a few pics for you to enjoy.

Here we are at the beginning of the Jeep Owner's Playground. There are a couple of shots of the minor casualty of the mud pit. By the time we ran in the pit, there was a decent sized hole at the exit end. The cheapo plastic skid had to go. I had to tie it up to keep from dragging on the ride home. Notice the lanyard from my wifes Jeep Rocks pass.

I think we wore the "Little Jeepers" out!
I think I saw your XK out there on the Playground. I was wondering why there was a Commander on the test course until a Jeep rep stated that was the playground. We were in line waiting to try out a Wrangler around 4ish; is that the time you were out there? The Airfest was a blast, glad they posted the info here about the Jeep Rocks Tour otherwise we would've never known about the Airfest.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was out on the playground at about 3:30pm. The playground track was very close to the same difficulty level as the off-road course. I was a little concerned that the XK did not have all the goodies that the Rubicons did on the off-road course. The hills on the playground were steep and I drug the trailer hitch a few times. One decent came into a sharp right turn and it was muddy from the morning rains. I was sure I would be sliding off course but, the XK stopped, I backed up, and made the turn fine.

I have only owned the XK since March but, am loving it more each day. This event was the first time it has been used for deliberate off-pavement driving. With no lift, factory tires(37,300 miles), and a low hanging hitch, I was pleasantly surprised a how well it handled.

Where I grew up, we had a large amount of unimproved roads. We had many places to play. Some of our county roads had no bridges and had water crossings in small creeks. Farmers made field roads to get machinery from a bluff down to a bottom and these pathways evolved with the weather. I have not done much wheelin' in the last few years but, I hope to take in events like this and go to the Badlands occasionally. I can't wait to get the RC 2" lift and new tires next year.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I was out on the playground at about 3:30pm. The playground track was very close to the same difficulty level as the off-road course. I was a little concerned that the XK did not have all the goodies that the Rubicons did on the off-road course. The hills on the playground were steep and I drug the trailer hitch a few times. One decent came into a sharp right turn and it was muddy from the morning rains. I was sure I would be sliding off course but, the XK stopped, I backed up, and made the turn fine.

I have only owned the XK since March but, am loving it more each day. This event was the first time it has been used for deliberate off-pavement driving. With no lift, factory tires(37,300 miles), and a low hanging hitch, I was pleasantly surprised a how well it handled.

Where I grew up, we had a large amount of unimproved roads. We had many places to play. Some of our county roads had no bridges and had water crossings in small creeks. Farmers made field roads to get machinery from a bluff down to a bottom and these pathways evolved with the weather. I have not done much wheelin' in the last few years but, I hope to take in events like this and go to the Badlands occasionally. I can't wait to get the RC 2" lift and new tires next year.
Cool so that was you that I saw out there on the playground. I wanted to take my XK too but by the time we got out of the test course it was late and the traffic of people leaving pushed us out and we couldn't turn back, it sounds like it was fun and glad to hear you made it through ok. Will you be joining us at the Badlands on the 21st?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Never heard of this event. Looks like a great time! Thanks for the pics! Hope to see you at the Badlands on the 21st!!

BTW, how do kids sleep like that? Mine do the same but I'm pretty sure if I slept like that I would need a chiro visit!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got hotel reservations for Danville, IL. on 8/20 & 8/21. We will be getting there late Friday night and getting up early Saturday to get in line. We will probably wheel a good part of Sat. and then head back to the hotel to clean up and eat.

I would like to come back to the campground and hang for a while to BS and get to know some fellow members. The kids may want to stay in the pool at the hotel though. Danville is about 30-40 minutes from Attica, so we'll have to see how everything times out. We are looking forward to meeting some other XKers. I will probably hang to the lower level trails and hopefully find some people to buddy with.

As far as sleeping like the pictures, I would never walk/talk/eat correctly again. I get a stiff neck just looking at the pictures!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts