Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time on the sand and i am addicted. Little nervous at first because I used the access 1/2 a block down from our rental and had no backup in case I got stuck. Found much better access at the end of route 12. Very nice area and we are already making plans to go back next year!

My little Sony point and shoot did not do very well with all the contrast...

Taken from the balcony of our rental.

Way down the beach at the end of route 12

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice Pics! How far did you get to drive on the sand?
Overall I put about 35 miles on the beach/dunes over 2 days. The first day I aired down but had trouble finding a place with a working air pump to fill back up. The second day I went @ 35 PSI and wile the traction was not as good I had very little issues. If you drive to the end of route 12 in Corolla the pavement literally ends and you can drive for ?? miles on the beach in either direction. There are literally dozens of very nice houses for rent with 4 x 4 only access miles away from any pavement!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Looks great. How was the weather and wind? Could you sit and relax on the balcony?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I would love to find a beach like that around here. :)

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One more from the balcony.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Nice pics. Definitely need to make it down there sometime.

·
Registered
70 Posts
That is awesome! I'm actually going to be in the OBX first week in May. Plan on doing some beach travel myself. Do you have any rub issues with your BFG'S? It's time for new tires and I don't have a lift yet and it looks like you don't so I was just wondering. You can PM me if you'd like (so I'm not whoring your thread). Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Very nice, planning on going down there once I do my relocation back to DC.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Overall I put about 35 miles on the beach/dunes over 2 days. The first day I aired down but had trouble finding a place with a working air pump to fill back up. The second day I went @ 35 PSI and wile the traction was not as good I had very little issues. If you drive to the end of route 12 in Corolla the pavement literally ends and you can drive for ?? miles on the beach in either direction. There are literally dozens of very nice houses for rent with 4 x 4 only access miles away from any pavement!
If you go farther south especially accross the Bonner Bridge, I highly recommend you air down. You may be able to make it without airing down but you put extra strain on the drive train. I have not been to Corolla since the 80s. but do go to Avon and Buxton at least once or twice a year for a week (06 XK). I air down when I get there and air up when I am ready to leave. I run 20 psi, no problems on the pavement. Also shut off your traction control.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts