Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Now that Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne is at the helm of the new Chrysler he is looking at making some changes. For starters, the Chrysler Sebring and Dodge Caliber, as well as the Jeep Patriot and Compass may get the axe.

Marchionne is looking at cutting under-performing models from the Chrysler lineup, with a particular focus on the models mentioned, while also examining how the company can become more cost effective by adjusting prices and tweaking the trim levels and equipment offered on the company's many vehicles.

The Caliber has the best chance of staying on but it is likely to receive major changes.

Fiat is also examining a plan that would see Alfa Romeo models rebadged as Dodges in North America, while some Dodge models that make it to Europe would wear the Alfa crest.

As for the Jeep brand, arguably the strongest name of the three, Fiat may look to make a push with it in emerging markets, something Chrysler never tried to do in the past.

More: Future Uncertain For Chrysler Sebring, Dodge Caliber, Jeep Patriot and Compass on AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
422 Posts
This will be interesting to watch...always like alfas not too much into fiats...but the patriot and compass were just market hopes anyway...to contend with other chrysler products like the caliber and the equinox....I almost bought a caliber before I found my dream (XK).

·
Registered
512 Posts
The Caliber and Patriot should stay, maybe some with some tweaking, the rest can go.-43

·
Registered
6 Posts
I still do not get why Jeep needed to create the Patriot and Compass when they are no different than the other vehicles in Chrysler's bloated line ups.

Now I heard the Commander is being axed because it failed at the rather pathetic attempt of jumping on the 3rd Row Seating bandwagon and its less than stellar mpg resulting in poor sales.

I like Commander regardless and plan on it in the near future, but I'm hoping that it somehow stays on.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
The patriot & Compass were created to help lower Chrysler's MPG standards for the CAFE regs. That enables them to build vehicles like the Commander since they even out the mileage numbers for the fleet of cars when they're all averaged together.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The patriot & Compass were created to help lower Chrysler's MPG standards for the CAFE regs. That enables them to build vehicles like the Commander since they even out the mileage numbers for the fleet of cars when they're all averaged together.
Ahhhhh, thanks for that reply. As soon as I read it, that made sense!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts