Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alsmyles,

hey whats up people, i am a newbie, i purchased my 2007 commander on july 30th, i have the 3.7, any how
the manuel says to use 87 , has any one used a good fuel to get more milage or whats the best fuel to use

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welcome aboard.... I'm a newb to this particular board too.

I have the 5.7 and run 89 though it, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to give you a real answer.

·
Registered
192 Posts
If the owners manual says to use 87---USE IT. A higher octane will 1) be a waste of $ and 2) cause detonation problems as higher octanes detonate slower resulting in dieseling and piston damage.

·
Registered
225 Posts
He is right about the money, but it won't damage your engine. Your spark plugs can ignite 89 and 91 just fine. I know some say you get better mileage with it, but for most it is a waste if your vehicle is only supposed to run 87.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Higher octane gases ignite harder, not slower. Just about all cars can run 91 without problems, but cars that are suppost to run 91 have bad luck running 87 because the pressure and heat preignite it if the computer doesn't cut your power in time.

·
Registered
473 Posts
running the higher octane won't hurt your engine but it isn't needed. you won't see any benefits from it. it will not cause detonation or pre-ignition but will actually help to prevent it. for much the same reasons racing engines use high octane, to help prevent detonation.
we have the 3.7 and only run 87 in it and haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I think maybe his question is what brand of gas to use thats 87 octane. The answer is they are all basically the same but some may have more cleaners in them. Personally, my favorites are CHEVRON and SHELL. Though truth is I usually buy COSTCO gas when in the area as its quite a bit cheaper. john

1 - 10 of 10 Posts