Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a strong odor of gas in my 2009 Jeep Commander cabin for about 2.5 weeks now. I had it towed and taken in for service to my dealer, they said that the canister was cracked and replaced it. After I picked it up, I realized that there still was a HEAVY gas smell. It is abnormally strong. The dealer even bombed it with a smell to cover it up, but it didn't really work. I am concerned. The smell never went away. I am going to take it in again for service tomorrow...any ideas on what could be wrong?

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
I had to take my snow blower (2 cycle) into the shop 3 weeks ago. The gasket on the gas cap failed, and gas/oil leaked out into the crack between the third row seats - into the fabric and carpet. Gas smell was extremely potent. I used a spray, "Super Oder Neutralizer Car Renew", by renuzit. I really soaked the area! I left one of the seats up for a week, and the smell is gone. Since your smell is coming from the out side, I'd look around the filler tube. Do you ever see gas on the ground? If the smell is that potent, it has to be coming from some place other than the cannister. If it is just a residual oder, try this stuff - just spray it around like Fabreeze. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
If there is a raw fuel oder this thing should be setting evap codes all over the place.
However, if there is fuel leakage under the hood, like a injector body seal, no code will set.
I think you should be looking in that area.......like when you get home, open the hood and see if the odor is fuel boiling off the intake manifold.....by the way, that would be a REAL fire hazard so I'd recommend leaving the vehicle outside till this is resolved.

Rob

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I recently had a raw fuel smell. It was a fuel line cracked under the hood near the engine. The dealer replaced the fuel line. Very dangerous. Don't hesitate to take it in to be checked again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts