Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just came back from a family vacation. And i just had to see if anyone else had these type of results.
I live in ct and we went on vaca to florida and slight side track on the way back to myrtle beach and back home for a total of 2,963 miles round trip obviously 90% highway and the rest normal city driving. We used up a total of 128 gallons of fuel (87) elcheapo!! So if my math is ok that means we got almost 23mpg for this trip... I kept an eye on the dash with the mpg but i tought it was wrong but now adding up all my gas slips i see this is right on. I do have to say that i also added a flowmaster 50 series suv muffler and knn intake kit as the only mods besides the rc 2 inch kit. NEEDLESS TO SAY I AM VERY IMPRESSED WITH THE GAS MILEAGE. NOW THE TRUCK HAS 68K ON IT. AND I AM THINKING OF CHANGING THE PLUGS ...I KEEP HEARING GOOD THINGS ABOUT THE E3'S BUT MAYBE ILL STICK TO FACTORY REPLACEMENT SINCE THEY HAVE WOORKED THIS WELL... OH BY THE WAY BUG DEFLECTORS DO NOT WORK!!! YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN MY WINDSHIELD....DESTROYED!!!LOL
:bowdown::rofl::headbang2:

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Id hold off on the E3's. I ran them in my 4.7 liter XK and thought they were garbage. A freind of mine also tried them in his 4.7 liter Grand Cherokee and lets just say he swapped them out a few weeks later.

·
1,993 Posts
Not sure where you heard good things about the E3 besides maybe there commercials but there junk man. There is a lot of talk about plugs in this thread what type and what people are getting out of them check it out and run from those E3's I did some research on them not good.I reference the E3's in post #93
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6086

·
Registered
451 Posts
Thats great mileage! I am always impressed with my Hemi on the highway, I normally get 20-22 mpg with the 09' and around 13-15 in town.

I have found that 67mph is the "sweet spot" for the Commander, if you go past that the lack of aerodynamics catches up to you. I can run 80-90 all day long but I will only get 16-19 mpg.

When I need plugs for the Hemi I'm going with NGK, I run them in my XJ's and they last a good long time with little drop off in power and mileage.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Definitely listen to everyone else about E3's, I've heard they're crap some several mechanics. I bought Champion Double Platinums for my Hemi, so far everything is just fine.

Glad to see you got good mileage! I got about the same (averaged 23mpg) traveling from Charlotte, NC to Washington DC and back.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Are you keeping up on regular maintenance? I don't know if it matters but when I last performed maintenance I swapped to synthetic oil, double platinum's, and I tossed in a fresh air filter. Make sure your tires are properly inflated, I get mine filled with Nitrogen b/c its supposedly more efficient.

·
Registered
423 Posts
What kind of mileage are you getting? What kind of driving do you do? I'm only getting 20+ mpg on the highway. In town I get about 15-16 mpg but I am really easy on the peddle.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Stay away from the E3's I ran them in my Hemi, Garbage. It messed with my Computer. I would loose my heat and other functions and then I changed them out and no problem. They also made my radar freak out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have an 06 as well. Hemi. It will get almost 17 on the highway at around 75 mph. If I drop the speed a bit, it will get a bit more than 17 mpg.

The only way to get 20 mpg is if I set the cruise to 55 mph on a perfectly flat road. No a/c. If i turn on the a/c, it will drop to 18-19 mpg.

Around town, it will get 12 - 13 mpg.

Apparently the new hemi's get better gas mileage. But for those of us with the 06/07's, we are stuck with crap mileage.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
mine is an 06 and with my K&N CAI and a magnaflow muffler I get about 17 overall and when I'm on a flat highway I can eek out 23.5 or so. I haven't changed the plugs since I got it but I have a set of NGK iridiums that I'm excited to see results for. I didn't really notice a change in mpg's with my lift or grill guard either, which is better then i expected. anyone changed plugs in a 3.7? I'm wondering how to get to the one closest to the passenger side of the XK. PM me so I don't take over this thread.

·
Registered
451 Posts
The 09's have the MDS/VVT system which cuts back to 4 cylinders when the load is light on the engine. I have found 67mph on flat land and down hill hits the sweet spot.

My 09 is all stock, no mods, and I don't plan on any. I'm keeping at least one Jeep in the driveway stock.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Has anyone with a Hemi with MDS hacked the MDS as to be able to turn anytime? I have seen this on some of the other forums. Just curious.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a '06 Hemi XK and I average 16.5-17.5 mpg overall. But I have seen a high of 21.5 with A/C on a 90* F day on mostly level road (this by filling up and then refill to find real average after the EIC shown 22.5). This is with a K&N CAI,Magnaflow Muffler and Superchips Flashpaq (with trans tuning). This is also with stock replacement type Champion plugs. I have the performance tune installed but still playing with the trans options. As has been mentioned elsewhere in the forum the new trans tuning does allow MDS to function longer. Mine is a 2WD so I don't have the extra weight of the transfer case and front diff. This is in contrast to 2 FSJs (a '79 Cherokee Chief and '89 Grand Wagoneer) and the 12 mpg they did no matter what the circumstances.

And I agree about the bug shield as it's best function is a guard for the hood.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just thought i'd drop a line here. (First post...)

Just installed magnaflows in my Jeep XK Overland HEMI 5.7L and noticed a major improvement in MPG. Before, I was averaging at 14.2, now it averages at 16.5! Great improvement, IMO. FWIW, I also have a drop in K&N air filter, and just recently changed the oil with Mobil 1. (Great price for 5L at Walmart)

Also, I am installing the K&N CAI this evening, and am excited to see what improvements this will provide. I'll make another post later with my findings.

Also considering adding headers and a programmer in the future.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
For the '06 guys that's normal .. I have an early production '06 and the fastest I can drive and keep MDS working is 58MPH ... I routinely get 20 miles per US Gallon, and often a little more on the hi way.

Apparently the later production '06's can be a little run faster ... and the new ones much more so as we can see by these reports.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts