Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I filled up the Commander the other day (my wife usually drives) and quite a bit of fuel squirted out on my hand and the body before the pump clicked off. My wife said it does this everytime she fills up completly. Is this a known issue? I searched found nothing related.

2006, 4x4 w/ 5.7

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
I would say that is either a pump or pumper problem not a problem with the Commander.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
I agree, it's a pump problem. It happens to me at times. :)

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Just watch the number of gallons on the pump and slow it down when it nears filling. If you listen closely, you can also hear it getting full, just like hearing the change in pitch when you fill a glass with liquid.

·
Registered
451 Posts
It happens to me once in a while. I like the idea of listening to it as you can hear it gurgle when it nears the top!

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Are you setting the pump to auto fill? If so, don't use the fastest setting. Try low or medium. Works for me!:eek:rangehat:

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
That's why I always use the lowest setting on the fuel nozzle, it allows the air to vent properly while filling the tank.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I live in NJ we are not allowed to pump our own gas because we are either not smart enough or not to be trusted. I think both are true. If you have had this happen at more than one gas station then it could be possible that your tank or filler is not venting properly some or most fuel nozzles use the pressure to sense when to shut off. My old YJ was a pain in the butt because I could not use the auto fill since it shut off every couple seconds.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I live in NJ we are not allowed to pump our own gas because we are either not smart enough or not to be trusted. I think both are true

Yeah, brother...:spineyes: :jester: :weed:

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Hmmm... only time I have that issue is when I am trying to top it off...

·
Registered
70 Posts
I get that problem if I try to round it up to an even number haha... Usually, I can just set it to the auto fill with no problems. If you are having that problem at multiple stations, you may want to take it in to make sure nothing is clogging the air vent.

·
Registered
61 Posts
This happens to every time if I am not careful. Only in the Commander, never in the the 4 Runner.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Im with you!!!

i dont own a jeep commander but i own a 2006 jeep wrangler unlimited and with in the past six months my gas take spits out about two cups of gas EVERY TIME I FILL UP. and as for all of you (REMOVED) that think we cant fill up a tank of gas....well ill just be nice and say that you should be happy that your P.O.S jeep hasnt had this defect. dont get me wrong, I LOVE JEEPS but i cant even explain how (removed) disapointed i am with the purchace of this suv...i have never had such an expensive car turn into such a piece of (removed) so fast...but any way...back to the discussion at hand. when it first happend i just assumed that i had the nossel too far down into the tank so i obviously tried to pull it back a bit...no luck. i even have attempted to crouch down and put my ear up to the nossel and listen for the noise of it reaching the top...i have stoped it from the second i have heard it to actually stoping it on a certian gallon count and it still does it. i have no doubt in my mind that it is some type of disfunctionate seal or saftey flaw with the tank....not operator error. again....one of the many wounderous things that make this $25,000 car the most expensive piece of crap that there is. Maby some one on here can help me with another problem i am having with my car...when i am driving and hit 45-50 MPH my rpm's drop from 2100 rpm to 1100 rpm. if i press the gas peddel there is no responce...i practically have to floor it for it to get gas. however when i do press the peddel more the speed does increase slightly but only if i am on a flat surface...if i am going up hill....no go. i ahve taken it to the dealership multipul times during my warrenty and they just cant seem to find anything wrong with it...now that my warrenty is up im a little hessitant to take it to them...im sure they will magically find something that is causing the problem that cost about as much as the car its self. if anyone can offer some advice that would be awsome.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
i dont own a jeep commander but i own a 2006 jeep wrangler unlimited and with in the past six months my gas take spits out about two cups of gas EVERY TIME I FILL UP. and as for all of you **** that think we cant fill up a tank of gas....well ill just be nice and say that you should be happy that your P.O.S jeep hasnt had this defect. dont get me wrong, I LOVE JEEPS but i cant even explain how **** disapointed i am with the purchace of this suv...i have never had such an expensive car turn into such a piece of *** so fast...but any way...back to the discussion at hand. when it first happend i just assumed that i had the nossel too far down into the tank so i obviously tried to pull it back a bit...no luck. i even have attempted to crouch down and put my ear up to the nossel and listen for the noise of it reaching the top...i have stoped it from the second i have heard it to actually stoping it on a certian gallon count and it still does it. i have no doubt in my mind that it is some type of disfunctionate seal or saftey flaw with the tank....not operator error. again....one of the many wounderous things that make this $25,000 car the most expensive piece of crap that there is. Maby some one on here can help me with another problem i am having with my car...when i am driving and hit 45-50 MPH my rpm's drop from 2100 rpm to 1100 rpm. if i press the gas peddel there is no responce...i practically have to floor it for it to get gas. however when i do press the peddel more the speed does increase slightly but only if i am on a flat surface...if i am going up hill....no go. i ahve taken it to the dealership multipul times during my warrenty and they just cant seem to find anything wrong with it...now that my warrenty is up im a little hessitant to take it to them...im sure they will magically find something that is causing the problem that cost about as much as the car its self. if anyone can offer some advice that would be awsome.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Hey chief when your a 1 time poster, does not own a commander and calls my vehicle a P.O.S. I'm offended. I would stick with putting your ear to gas tank or how bought this, SELL it. Big Baby!

·
Registered
7 Posts
awww poor little baby...did i hurt your feelings. by the way i wasnt calling your comander a P.O.S....i was calling jeep in general a P.O.S i am just really dissatisfied with my jeep. and im not just a one time poster...i was simply looking for an answer to why my car was spitting out gas and when i found a forum about it i decided to provide my experience and see what kind of advice was out there....but of course there always has to be some one like you who wants to make fun of everything and put people down... so unless you have something usefull to say...please talk your removed some where else.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts