Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After hearing so many people say that the 20.5 gal tank on the Commander is "too small", I'm terribly curious as to what vehicles you owned with larger tanks. My Grand Cherokee has a 21 gallon tank; my Sienna has a 25gal (I think). Granted, 200 miles is not grand on a tankful, but the math says that you're getting 9.75mpg (200/20.5). Even assuming that you fill up with a gallon and a half left in the tank (since most of us don't wait until we're on fumes), you're still getting only 10.5mpg (200/19). What are you folks doing to get mileage that low?

Even assuming the 14mpg average that people claim to be getting, you should be getting 287 miles per tank. 19mpg would yield 389 miles per tank. Of course, these figures are for the full 20.5 gallons; 19 gallons would equal 224 miles at 14mpg and 361 for 19mpg.

Incidentally, those last figures would jibe with what I am seeing on my Grand Cherokee right now, which does 14 city/19 hwy on average.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I got 14 mpg in the 4.7 WJ and that was still pretty short trips between fill ups. Jeeps have always been small tanks and bad MPG, just how it is. 25 gallons in a minivan is not the same as 20 gallons in a truck. I get 11-12mpg with the 5.7 Hemi

·
Registered
170 Posts
I lifted this from another thread that I posted..

Gas milage was as follows..recorded at every top off.
#1 15.7 mpg (driving 75 mph in the windy plains of Okla and Texas..high winds)
#2 16.8 mpg (driving 75 mph into New Mexico..late at night low wind)
#3 19.2 mpg (driving between 40 and 60 mph in the snow, no real wind)(maybe this Multi Displacement thing does work in some cases..LOL)
#4 16.6 mpg (driving 45 to 60 mph in the mountains..back and forth to town and the resort over 3 days)(tow/hual mode turned on..only 4 gears..shifted manually sometimes)
#5 18.2 mpg (driving 80mph with a slight tailwind, fairly flat terrain)
#6 17.80 mpg (driving 80mph in New Mexico...low winds)
#7 16.6 mpg (driving 75 mph in the windy plains of Texas and Oklahoma..higher winds)

From my calculations thats 17.3 mpg for the whole trip. Not that it matters much to me but that isnt too bad..its better than what my truck was getting on the last 4 trips we took to Durango.
Normally I dont pay this much attention to the above information and conditions but I wanted to for the sake of posting up on this site for owners and prospective owners to use.

Oh, I also wanted to note that I hear alot of complaints about the SMALL GAS TANK (20 gallons). I was wondering about how it would effect the number of my fill up stops. It turned out to be a non-issue....
My truck (F150) has a 24 gallon tank.....I filled up the Commander at the EXACT same locations and the exact same number of times as I did when I drove my truck in the past. Which also happens to be the same places we filled up at when we took my buddy's Suburban a few years ago. The Burb has an even bigger gas tank then my truck(30 gallon capacity from what I recall).....this tells me that the Commander was getting a LITTLE better milage than I was getting in my truck and a LOT better milage than we were getting in the Suburban.

So stop complaining people! LOL

·
Registered
195 Posts
My 10 year old Cherokee had the 20 gal. tank: I-6, stick shift, 4 wd, 175,000+ miles, consistently, to the end, 26 mpg. City & country combined.

·
Registered
128 Posts
i filled my commander yesterday and i was a total of 17.2 gallons. totally empty o miles left on fuel. i think they underrated it. and i got about 275 miles on it. all highway. not bad.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The maximum I could put into the tank is 18 gallons - that is what goes there when the indicator says you have 0 or close to 0 miles left and the light is ON. I kept a pretty good spreadsheet with all the fillups which averages 12.5 miles in city or highway. The most I've got on the highway per the indicator is 14 mpg, never even 14.1. I am out of gas in 200 gas in city and 240 miles on the highway. Conratulations to all the lucky people with 18 mpg!
And as far as "trading fluids" is concerned I can hold it more than 3 hours.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Reply for JOE TAMPA
I've had 92 Explorer, 95 Explorer and 01 Full Size Montero, all new. In either car I could do around 300 miles in the city, 350-370 miles on highway on Explorer and 380-400 miles on highway on Montero. Montero normal fill-up was was 20-21 gallons and I think it had 23 gallon tank - once I put in 22 gallons. No small tanks there. Hope it answers your query. My mileage in Montero was around 14 city and close to 20 on highway. But I don't care whole lot about the mileage here - it is the fact that my freedom to go places without fillup every 3 hours is violated. Luve the car otherwise - very nice and no zero problems so far. Drive safely and good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts