Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Acquired a 2009 Jeep Commander Limited from my father in law. It was a decision primarily based around having a capable tug to pull our caravan with enough excess torque.

Since then I've realised that I can have a bit of fun with this vehicle and want to start making it a bit more custom.

Anyway, may the fun times begin. First I think I will make a roof rack to hold an awning and some lights. Have seen some made with Unistrut/Superstrut. I have access to some 'free' Unistrut so I'll think I'll head down that path.

Any ideas or advice welcome.

Cheers.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Welcome to the Club!

·
Super Moderator
5,796 Posts
Acquired a 2009 Jeep Commander Limited from my father in law. It was a decision primarily based around having a capable tug to pull our caravan with enough excess torque.

Since then I've realised that I can have a bit of fun with this vehicle and want to start making it a bit more custom.

Anyway, may the fun times begin. First I think I will make a roof rack to hold an awning and some lights. Have seen some made with Unistrut/Superstrut. I have access to some 'free' Unistrut so I'll think I'll head down that path.

Cheers.
Welcome aboard @Crozza79; post some pics of your Commander when you can.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My rig is largely stock with the exception of a voltage sensitive relay and wiring to some 12 volt plugs at the rear. I also pulled out the rear seats and made a DIY box for storage and for placement of a battery box and a DIY fridge slide.

I also made some window screens or 'window socks/sox' so that if I want to sleep in the Jeep I can have privacy, keep the light out and also so I can have the windows down without all the mozzies getting in.

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts

Cheers.

i tried the unistrut idea for cross bars...more wind noise than stock cross bars and an annoying whistle on top of that. i taped of the holes and the whistling stopped.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the idea.

Was thinking of making mine into some kind or rack so I may end up putting a wind deflector at the front.

Cheers.

·
Registered
141 Posts

Cheers.
I don't have any ideas or advice,at this time. My Jeep is 2-wheel drive. I pretty much stay on the main highways. I've got a 4x4 Ram from my outdoor adventuring. But I do have a nice car built in Australia. Maybe you have seen a few of these running around in your neck of the woods.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy, using speech to text

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very nice wheels.

I guess you call it a Pontiac?

Is that a 5.7L?

My other car is a Holden VZ commodore and I’m guessing my rear tyres will last a whole lot longer than yours...😉

·
Registered
141 Posts
Very nice wheels.

I guess you call it a Pontiac?

Is that a 5.7L?

My other car is a Holden VZ commodore and I’m guessing my rear tyres will last a whole lot longer than yours...
That would be the now-defunct Pontiac. It has a 6.0 liter.6 speed. I've seen my body style in a four-door. Looks pretty unusual. But probably normal to you.I think I've seen some with a truck bed as well.
There are virtually no parts left for these cars the United States.GM sent 40,000 of these cars to the United States.Not many of those 40,000 left anymore. They've all crashed and burned and been parted out. So nobody really makes aftermarket parts for them either. Just not profitable.People have scrounged all the parts they can find from Australia. Luckily I've never crashed mine. But if I ever do. I'm going to be screwed.
These old Commanders are getting to be the same way. You never really know when something's going to be limited production.

·
Super Moderator
5,796 Posts
These old Commanders are getting to be the same way. You never really know when something's going to be limited production.

It's mostly the interior parts for Commanders that are starting to get hard to find; most of the exterior parts are still readily available; the only thing I know about that's hard to come by for the exterior are the end caps for the front the factory roof rails, I was going to order some new ones but have had a tough time finding them so far.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts