Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! My wifes 07 commander sport (V6) has the select trac I with 3.07 gears. Since we live in the mountains of WV, it would help considerably if we had lower gears ie. 3.73's. We asked the Dealer shop techs about a swap and they said they were sure it could be done however they weren't sure how it would affect the ABS. or if there was a computer "fix" for the ABS. Has anyone done such a gear swap or have information to pass on in this area? Thanks.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I dont know the answer to your question, but since the V-8's come with 3:73 gearing I would think if there is a problem it would be easily solved. Wonder if you could somehow access Jeep for that info? john

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
i don't think it would be a problem. you are not changing anything with the brakes. and you should be able to have the differential ratio changed through the computer so your speedo is accurate.

i think your best and cheapest route to go on changing the gearing would be to find a wrecked grand cherokee or commander and get the front diff. and then get the rear axle. it would then be a bolt in affair.

ring gears usually cost about $400 for a set and then you have to add in the labor for the install and set up. which would probably cost you close to another couple hundred dollars.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I am sorry I really dont understand the mechanics of this project but would you then be able to have Low Range? Why do we have a different gear ratio in the 3.7 anyways?

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
ask the jeep engineers. it seems pretty stupid to me.

the low range is in the transfercase. the only way to get low range is to swap transfercases to the QT2 t-case.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I think your problem would be with the ESP programming, not the ABS brakes. ESP expects the wheels to turn at a certain RPM and with different gears it will be off and throw the Jeep into limp mode.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I wouldn't bet on that. They can't change gear ratios on the LX, so I'd bet they can't on the XK either.

I could be wrong, but that's what I see as being the obstacle. We won't know for sure one way or the other until someone does it.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I think you should just get a 4.7 if you want your 3.7 to be a 4.7 so bad. That would be a lot less screwing around. And what the heck is your wife doing that she needs that gearing anyways? I have lived in Lake tahoe (elevation 7,200ft) and Wisconsin (just damn cold and snowy) and the 3.7 has not failed me yet. Or an even easier fix; get some better tires than the stock garbage. I will agree when driving in deep snow and ice the tires aren't the greatest. Look at the Revos or the Silent armors.

·
Registered
456 Posts
RedCommander said:
He doesn't want his 3.7 to be a 4.7, he wants lower gears. Just because you feel the gearing is fine for you doesn't mean that everyone else will feel the same way.
It just sure sounds like a lot of screwing around when there are easier ways to get up a hill than gearing down a 3.7 by changing differentials, axles, and messing with the computer. Sounds to me like he wants a 4.7...Or better tires because hills or mountains dont slow down QT1.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What I wanted her to get was the Hemi Overland model...but that was "way to expensive for my needs" (wifes quote). So now we're stuck with the Sport as trading it for something "trail rated" is out of the question as we are now upside down in it's value. Hence it would be cheaper all around to just do a gear swap. By the way..we had our first snowfall this week, and the jeep did well. However it's still scares her a little, having to brake so much (even with it downshifted to 2nd or 1st) on the snow/ice due to it's taller gearing. Anyway, thanks everyone for your input...I guess I still have some research to do reference the electronic portion of the swap.

·
Registered
167 Posts
did they offer different gears in different models or is it "one gear fits all"?

Did they offer a 3.73 in a V6?

If they offer it then it can be done...............John, we can't do it in the LX's but these are more akin to the Didge trucks and they CAN change their gears.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts