Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where to pick up some gears for the Elsd front axle?? does anyone have a spare ring in pinion to send of to a shop? Some gear companies said there could make the ring in pinion but need a set and maybe the front diff to make them. Any donors?

·
Registered
314 Posts
The ring and pinion are the same as what is used in the front open differential.

I have an used open front differential I'm putting together with a 3.73 ring and pinion. They have about 12,000 on the set. If interested PM me.

Or if you are looking for new here is the Jeep part number for just a new 3.73 ring & pinion gear set #5135661AB

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I would love some gears to hit the market right about now. With my long trips to NY City once a month now for the Army some 4.11 gears would do wonders. Even a set of 4.56's would be great. Then I would have no problems when going with larger tires in the near future.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I would love some gears to hit the market right about now. With my long trips to NY City once a month now for the Army some 4.11 gears would do wonders. Even a set of 4.56's would be great. Then I would have no problems when going with larger tires in the near future.
Yukon Gear has some gear sets 3.90, 4.11, and 4.56 for a Chrysler 8.0 front differential.
However I emailed Yukon Gear and was told, it is not the same differential as our Chrysler 7.9.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Yeah I think we came to that conclusion several years ago when Getlost4x4 stated they were the same. I took a picture of my buddies chrysler 8.0 front differential and it looks nothing like ours. Hense why we have a 7.9

The XK and WK are the only two vehicles that I know of with these differentials up front. Unless someone specifically ripped apart one of our front differentials and had gears built, then no one on the market will have anything for us. Someone who has lots of extra money needs to get a front differential and drop it of with Yukon or someone to have gears made!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yeah I think we came to that conclusion several years ago when Getlost4x4 stated they were the same. I took a picture of my buddies chrysler 8.0 front differential and it looks nothing like ours. Hense why we have a 7.9

The XK and WK are the only two vehicles that I know of with these differentials up front. Unless someone specifically ripped apart one of our front differentials and had gears built, then no one on the market will have anything for us. Someone who has lots of extra money needs to get a front differential and drop it of with Yukon or someone to have gears made!
Can we say $$$$$$$$$

Plus you have to deal with the gear ratio in the electrical modules and if it ain't stock, your jeep dealer can't help you. And the after-market speed calibrators don't work for gear changes. That was proven on the "Jeep Forum" site.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Has anyone on the Jeep forum tried using the Superchips Flashpaq to fix the computer after the gearing change? I remember we had talked specifically about this in the past and how I was messing around with my Flashpaq and changed the gear ratio to 4.10 and it put my XK in limp home mode since the computer recognized that I wasnt running 4.10 and still had the stock gears.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Has anyone on the Jeep forum tried using the Superchips Flashpaq to fix the computer after the gearing change? I remember we had talked specifically about this in the past and how I was messing around with my Flashpaq and changed the gear ratio to 4.10 and it put my XK in limp home mode since the computer recognized that I wasnt running 4.10 and still had the stock gears.
I have been looking for that same answer and have found no one that has changed gearing and used the Superchips or the Hypertech successfully. The only examples are the CRD 3.21 change on the Jeep Forum site, bad results. And you changing to 4.10 with the limp mode condition. Which really isn't a real good indicator of what would happen if gears were truly changed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a diablo sport programmer, I love it, I adjusted the transmission shift points to compensate for the slight bog I get with 285/75 R17s on. and it will do gears up to 5.13.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I have a diablo sport programmer, I love it, I adjusted the transmission shift points to compensate for the slight bog I get with 285/75 R17s on. and it will do gears up to 5.13.
I think what he is refering to is that individual who did a gear swap from a numerically lower gear.....for example 3.07's and swapped out to either 3.55's or 3.73's and is having trouble getting the computer to compensate for the new gears. As in the dealer is having trouble trying to program it and other programers that say they will adjust for gear ratios arent working like they say they will. This is very common. I ended up buying my buddy's Flashpaq off of him because he was under the assumption that he could change his tire size on his 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee but for some reason it wouldnt work. I took it off his hands and had no problems adjusting for my larger tires on my 07 Commander.

So basically because the tuner says it will adjust for gears, doesnt mean it actually works.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
314 Posts
Ask Diablosport directly. Do you have any customers that have a Jeep XK or WK that has changed their Ring & Pinion? And ask for references.

I have sent an email into HyperTech two separate times with no response. My response on the phone is yeah it will work, with a money back guaranty. I'm not willing to gamble all the money required to change to a gear ratio and find out these tuners can't do it. Sure I get my $200+ back for the tuner, but I'm out all the time and money on the gear change.

The problem so far, is no one makes gear sets for our Jeeps, so no one has tested these aftermarket tuner for a gear change.
And the only example so far is the 2wd CRD on the other website.

Just my thoughts on gear swaps.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can tell you the speedo is dead accurate on a tire change of almost 5", so I trust them on the gear part, your right though, no one will touch this market, if only jeep work as close with aftermarket as Ford.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I can tell you the speedo is dead accurate on a tire change of almost 5", so I trust them on the gear part, your right though, no one will touch this market, if only jeep work as close with aftermarket as Ford.
I think the tuners do a great job on engine, transmission shift points, tire size changes, but the gear change affects a lot of the electrical modules in our Jeeps, and I think there it the problem.
Also for the aftermarket companies to make gearing for us they have to see a market, and their aren't many of us out here changing these XKs and WKs for them to jump in. Of all of us that say we want a product, only a small percentage of those will truly buy it.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Ask Diablosport directly. Do you have any customers that have a Jeep XK or WK that has changed their Ring & Pinion? And ask for references.

I have sent an email into HyperTech two separate times with no response. My response on the phone is yeah it will work, with a money back guaranty. I'm not willing to gamble all the money required to change to a gear ratio and find out these tuners can't do it. Sure I get my $200+ back for the tuner, but I'm out all the time and money on the gear change.

The problem so far, is no one makes gear sets for our Jeeps, so no one has tested these aftermarket tuner for a gear change.
And the only example so far is the 2wd CRD on the other website.

Just my thoughts on gear swaps.

Do you happen to know how to get to that thread with the 2WD CRD gear swap?

Well changing the tire size is one thing. People have done it and proved that it works. Like stated above from cmdr jim.....how do these companys know that their product will work for a gear swaps on our vehicles if no one even makes gears for us. I think it will work with the flashpaq, but no one will ever know till they have gears installed.

·
Registered
314 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Wait so he was able to solve the issue with the electronics and gear ratio swap?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Wait so he was able to solve the issue with the electronics and gear ratio swap?
Yes he did. After the Hypertech calibrator failed, if you read through the whole post, you can get an understanding of what he had to do. Blown7 has the software and a wiring harness set up that allows him to go in and reprogram perimeters of the electronic modules. So yes it's possible.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts