Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if their is already a thread then whoops:SM127:
ok so is their an ability to upgrade gears on the XK ?
i have the 3.7 and i would like to do this but is it eaven possible ?
how much higher can i go and do i need to do the front also to mach the rear?
what is all needed for this and would it be cheeper to get another jeep and leave my XK alone.:bowdown:

·
Registered
338 Posts
If it is 4WD you will need to do the front and rear together or else stay out of 4WD... not sure if that's possible on most commanders they seem to have a mind of their own.

You can definitely go up to 3.73 as this is used stock, but 4.11's would probably be more worth the effort if they are available.

-Tom

·
Registered
338 Posts
I forgot to mention price - gears are usually relatively cheap, say $150 - 200 per axle. However, you will need to have them installed .... not sure what that will cost as I always do things myself (but have yet to attempt gears)

The speed gauge and sensors will also have to be adjusted unless you can live with the speedometer being 10-20% off. Larger tires will cause this as well. I assume you are looking for more power and therefore would want to stick with the current tire size. Otherwise, everything would balance out and be a wash.

-Tom

·
2,248 Posts
Installing gears is not a do it yourself project without lots of experience. They have to be shimmed and the mesh patterned adjusted. I had 373 gears installed on my Mustang bracket race car and the fellow who did it took his time and believe me it was not a novice type project.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I agree with that.... but it's not a real big job either (for a professional) and the parts are relatively cheap. Any 4WD shop could price it out real quick, they do this sort of thing all the time.

-Tom

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Currently there aren't any gear upgrades for the WK/XK except what comes from the factory. 3.73's the highest ratio available.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys

so are the 373's what is on my 3.7 lt. or is what comes on the hemi....and ya i will be going with 32's but i also want it not to do a burnout on the trail but actually crawl up it ....thanks again ....

i also asked if it wr possible to get a 4" lift and add it to my already 2" but i forgot where i placed that Q?

·
Registered
338 Posts
With 32 on a 3.7 Commander you'll be lucky to do a burnout on ice....

The 3.7 with 3.73 gears works well in my wife's Liberty with stock tires and even has some guts up to about 40mph. After 40mph the guts start to fade and by 60mph they are definitely gone.

Now consider that the Commander adds about 1000lbs and you are upping the tire size by a good 3 inches.... I think burnout's will be the least of your worries, but if you are still concerned keep the standard gears.

-Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts