Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I've had an 06 Commander for a couple of years now and it's time to replace the rubber. I am looking to go with tires that are a slightly larger and have always thought my truck would look nicer with maybe a 2" lift.

I have a bunch of concerns. Can anyone tell me if the following concerns are valid?

1. Turns a great ride in a bad one.
2. Abnormal tire wear
3. I keep reading about "tires rubbing"..........??? I know tire size will play into this one too.

I don't want to end up with a bunch of hassle or regret for lifting my truck. Does anyone have any advice on products that are somewhat seamless? I plan on having a place do the work for me...........my mechanical skills are limited to snowmobiles and atv's.

Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
183 Posts
1. With a 2" lift the ride stays almost the same
2. No abnormal tire wear should appear
3. With a 2" lift you can go 255/65/17 with no rub

·
Registered
183 Posts
There are endless threads about this topic in the tires/lift forum...

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
What he said but use 255/70/17! I sent you a PM as well.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Computer / ESP issues with lift?

I called a couple of local 4x4 shops to inquire about lift kits and installation. Two of them claim that I may experience problems with the Electronic Stability Program (ESP) even with a 2" spacer lift. Has anyone had any experience with that problem?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I called a couple of local 4x4 shops to inquire about lift kits and installation. Two of them claim that I may experience problems with the Electronic Stability Program (ESP) even with a 2" spacer lift. Has anyone had any experience with that problem?
I have a 2 inch lift and 32 inch tires. No problems with the ESP. And I have not heard of anyone with a 2 inch lift having any problems with the ESP.

On a higher lift, like 4 inches, then, yes, you could experience problems with the ESP, if you didn't get some kind of module or programmer to recalibrate.

But you wont have ESP problems with 2 inches.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
In the two years I have been here, I have never seen any one raise an issue with the 2" lift and it's effect on the ESP.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
No issues with the ESP. You can run 255/70/17s on the stock rims, with or without wheel spacers, and you will not get any rubbing.

·
Registered
133 Posts

WHAT I HAVE FOUND IN CALLING SEVERAL 4X4 SHOPS TO INSTALL A LIFT, THEY ARE PRICED WAY, WAY TOO HIGH. I HAVE FOUND SEVERAL REGULAR ALIGNMENT/MECHANIC SHOPS THAT WILL DO THE INSTALL FOR AS MUCH AS $200 LESS THAN THE CHEAPEST 4X4 SHOP. :stickpoke:

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
You can fit a 255/70R17 with no rubbing and no spacers.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
OnATrail, where are you located? Don't forget to post some pics of your Commander.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts