Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, what are folks doing on this then? I'm just past 60K now, so need to look at this before too long. If I hadn't have had the trans cooler line problem, I'd just pull the pan, drain the oil, and re-fil with the same amount of fluid...

I just really dislike the idea of paying $80/hr for something I can do myself on a lazy saturday afternoon...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alrighty then,,,

I've been googling, and found a few links:

http://www.clubgwagen.com/gtech.php?sid=item&pageTitle=5-Speed (722.6) Automatic Transmission Fluid Change&tid=59

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38893

There is no way on earth, that I'm going to pay the $230 price I've just been quoted to do this oil change....

I've got a MaxQ data analyser that should show the trans oil temp - if it doesn't - then I'll use a heat-gun on the pan, or a bulb-type thermocouple which i'll fix to the dipstick before it goes in.

So, does anyone know the MOPAR part numbers for the gasket and filter?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
turbodave,
I like to use a 50k interval.....mostly cause it is easy to remember ie 50/100/150.

Not at all difficult as you have noted.....somewhat messy though.
Several members got some real low prices at various lube shops......that 200+ thing is insane and they probably are using one of those darn flushing machines to boot.....hence no filter.

Certainly not rocket science.....you'll be fine,

Rob

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Anyone done the DIY Home Flush? Where you disconnect the return line of the cooler and run it to a bucket, then idle the motor as you watch the fluid pour out, you poor in an equal amount as best you can, till you reach the quantity of the trapped fluid?

Did it all the time on my mini-van, worked fine.

Anyone tried AMSOIL Synthetic ATF, instead of ATF+4.

Its only a guess, but I "guess" from what I've read, the only thing better than ATF+4 may be AMSOIL Synthetic ATF. BUT, that is also assuming AMSOIL Synthetic ATF is properly formulated and meets/exceeds every single spec for the trans.

I never risked it with my Mini-Van trans, since ATF+4 was specifically designed and formulated for that trans, with special properties, its just that ATF+4 ended being so good, chrysler started using it in all their other trans and their PS systems for a while.

The fact that ASMOIL Synthetic ATF is multi-vehicle and meets/exceeds specs for multiple ATF fluids kinda turned me off. Some of those fluids have contradicting Specs, so how does AMSOIL meet/exceed specs for all those fluids, when some of specs contradict?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Im about to drop the pan and replace the filters and oil in the next week or so. Im a little late as im almost at 70,000 miles but better late then never.

·
Banned
246 Posts
You can look up any OEM part at MOPAR.com, it even gives prices.

$80 dollars a hour verse $1000+ transmission job, I have the 545rfe transmission and still pay $130 to hand the filters changed every 30,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
You can look up any OEM part at MOPAR.com, it even gives prices.

$80 dollars a hour verse $1000+ transmission job, I have the 545rfe transmission and still pay $130 to hand the filters changed every 30,000 miles.
Those filters dont need to be changed every 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm at 50k and am going to run AMS oil and filter since I already have it in both axles and t-case. That'll happen next month, after I take it in again for the front diff. leaking.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Amsoils the way to go, all my fluids are Amsoil. Been using there products in all my vehicles for years even yard equipment and quads. It's not the specs that contradict, ATF exceeds standards that are set by the different auto manufactures through the tests that are set by these car makers.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
It's not the specs that contradict, ATF exceeds standards that are set by the different auto manufactures through the tests that are set by these car makers.
That may be right, BUT, we really do NOT know, ATF+ was developed by Chrysler with greater Friction Modifers for faster clutch engagements. So if Dexron II specfices a certain friction property less than ATF+ how does one fluid met both specs for friction property?? One was specifically designed to be less than the other.

If the only properties for ATF was length of time before viscousity breakdown, oxidization, max temperature, etc. Then yes, I can see how one fluid could exceed the max time called for by all fluids and thus could state they exceed the specs for all fluids.

BUT, ATF also has specs for viscousity vs temperature, friction index for clutch engagement, etc, that is why there are different ATF's for different trans, in short, because for a trans, more is NOT always better, sometimes its less and sometimes it needs the exact right spec property to work best. How does one fluid have the exact right amount, when it replaces fluids that have different exact right amounts of a certain spec.

I considered using the AMSOIL Synthetic ATF for my Mini-Van 41TE/A604, but decided against it, because ATF+4 was specifically formulated for that transmission, its biggest problems came from people using the wrong fluid in it, Dexron instead of ATF+. I played it safe and stuck with ATF+4 over the AMSOIL, because of my suspicion that a "Multi-Vehicle" replaces multple ATF's might NOT meet every spec 100% and that might cause a problem in a trans that was so dependent on the fluid.

Now for my Commander, I'm NOT so convinced the NAG1 is so dependent on the exact fluid. I think I will try the AMSOIL Synthetic ATF.

Power Steering Fluid, I have NOT found anything stating it meets/exceeds MS-10383, the spec for the PS fluid for our Commanders.

If the Commander called for MS-9602 (ATF+4), I would have no problem using AMSOIL Synthetic ATF, but the Commander calls for an even newer spec PS fluid. And considering PS units are becoming progressively more demanding on their fluids, I think I'm going to play it safe and use the Mopar actual MS-10383 until someone actually publishes on their bottle or in their literature that their PS fluid meets/exceeds MS-10383.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Oh I see where your coming from. Should go to the contact us link on there website I believe there is a product and tech question link there I am very curious to see what they reply with.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I dropped the pan on my NAG1/W5A580 to install a Trans Temp Sender, so I changed the fluid and filter. I used 4 qts of AMSOIL Synthetic ATF to return it back to proper fluid level. The Capacity I've read for total fluid in the trans is 8.55 Qts, so right now I'm running roughly 50/50 New AMSOIL Synthetic ATF and 26k mi ATF+4. Trans shifts great, feels just like it did before.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Oh I see where your coming from. Should go to the contact us link on there website I believe there is a product and tech question link there I am very curious to see what they reply with.
I've done some additional Research;

AMSOIL is NOT licensed by Chrysler as an ATF+4 Labeled Product.
http://www.centerforqa.com/licensedatf4brands.html
Does that mean, using AMSOIL Synthetic ATF will void the warranty?

Here is a right up about ATF+4 at the Allpar Site:
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/fluids.html
Seems the real key is that Lubrizol came up with a new additive package that kept friction properties and reduced shearing viscosity loss for much, much longer than past ATF additive packages. Combined with Shell's new special synthetic base stock, they got ATF+4. Chrysler was also in a huge mess with the 41TE/A604 trans that kept eating themselves and improving the fluid kept them alive longer. Eitherway, and its proven for the troubled Chrysler Transmission, ATF+4 is NOT your average ATF, it is a much better ATF than most and specially formulated with lower friction for better friction operation in the trans and degrades much slower than other ATF's, maintaining it like new properties much longer.

Here AMSOIL admits that it can't meet every spec for all these different fluids:
http://syntheticperformanceoil.com/spo/products/amsoil_atf_automatic_transmission_fluid.php

Q. How can AMSOIL Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) with a viscosity of 6.8 cSt be recommended for DEXRON VI and MERCON SP with respective maximum viscosities of 6.5 and 6.0 and also be recommended for ATF+4 with a minimum viscosity of 7.3?

A. AMSOIL positioned the viscosity of the AMSOIL Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid in the middle of most of the specifications from many manufacturers.
They go on to argue that being slightly off on these Specs is NOT crtical, and does NOT change performance, the difference is how long the fluid resists degrading and falling well below the spec, which AMSOIL will degrade far slower and stay closer to the spec over time than the actual fluid will.

But does AMSOIL use the Lubrizol additive package that is required for ATF+4?
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/mobil-1-atf-now-recommended-atf-4-t95598.html?p=2778658
Don't know who the poster is, but boy does he sound knowledgeable. Basically saying, he can't confirm for a fact that AMSOIL uses the Lubrizol Package, but they do have a close relationship with Lubrizol and has Lubrizol do all their supplying and testing, for their blending. He basically recommends what I think is true and most people have found. If it calls for ATF+4, use only ATF+4 or the Mobil1/AMSOIL fluids that claim to be as good as ATF+4, that even if they are NOT certified because they are slightly off the actual ATF+4 spec, they exceed the critical spec and last longer and operate at least as well as actual ATF+4.

I dealt with a Mini-Van for many years and have been on boards talking about the notorious 41TE/A604 that ate itself every 30k miles for many people. Lots acounts of how using anything but ATF+4 resulted in eventual death, except for those that used ASMOIL Synthetic ATF, the few that did said they never ran into any problems many times longer than the others.

What I'm saying, I'm probably right that AMSOIL doesn't really meet every spec for the multiple fluids they claim their Synthetic ATF does. BUT, it exceeds them in the specs that count and I think its probably reasonable to assume you can safely use AMSOIL Synthetic ATF as a replacement for ATF+4. Don't take that to mean other fluids, i.e. use ATF+4 or AMSOIL Synthetic ATF, nothing else.

Of course a Dealer or Warranty Company could argue using AMSOIL Synthetic ATF will void your warranty, and seeing how Chrysler does NOT certify it to carry the ATF+4 Label, they likely are right.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Autozone lists the wrong filter for the 2007 Commander 4wd, 3.7. Their part is TF98, which is wrong. This part has 2 filters and I think is for the 545RFE trans they put on the v8's.

Anyone, have first hand knowledge of autozone's filter for the 3.7?

[edit]Best I can tell is the OEM part is 52108325AA and the Autozone part is T873. I guess I will have first hand experience after tomorrow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Anyone know which end of the pan the magnet goes? I took it out to clean off the metal paste and didn't note which end of the pan it was on....... :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts