Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Re: Hypertech power programmer

Matt, There are a few handheld programmers on the market, Hypertech, Superchips, SCT, Diablo to name a few, to my knowledge no one has produced a product for any of the power plants in the Commander yet, Many have the ability to hold custom tunes so should you say add a blower the fuel and timing curves can be adjusted for more power and stored in the tuner. I'm waiting for a tuner and a cat back exhaust to become available for the 4.7 when they do I'll be at the front of the line.:) Todd

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quite informative post there, Todd. Thanks very much.

I did find a tuner for the 5.7 hemi, but that's all. I'd really love to get one for myself, but like you, I guess I'll have to wait for someone to make one.

·
Registered
107 Posts

The problem is how new the vehicle model is, I usually take the aftermarket the better part of a year to catch up, unless it's a mustang or a vette those parts hit the street very quickly due the vehicles popularity.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Re: performance chips

My answer is NO. I wouldn't even entertain the seller. I don't have a logical reason for that answer except NO.:rolleyes: Maybe others here could expand on my logical reasoning:)

·
Registered
264 Posts

Answer? All are totally bogus! I did try one on my liberty once and it is just a resistor. Now, if you go under search, look for people that use other chips.

I use the Jet Chip and it works! Bitchin' power upgrade! However, that said, you do need a "cover" over the chip and module box. It seems on mine that a very slight amount of water dribbles down from the cowl and got on the chip connections. I returned it and they sent a new one then we solved the problem together.

As in the old adage though..... you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts

The chip/tuner brands to trust are Jet Chip, Hypertech, Superchips, and Edge Products. I know Jet Chip has Stage I and Stage II kits available. I am not sure about the other three.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts

RedCommander said:
Am I correct that only Jet Chip has a chip for the 4.7 Commander?
Are you asking if they are the only ones making one... not sure. Or are you asking if they only making it for the 4.7L and not the Hemi, etc... no, there is one available for the Hemi and I believe one for the 3.7L too.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Let me ask the same question differntly-I have seen several people running the Jet CHip and I am interested in putting in my 4.7 to change the shift points and give the truck some more "oomph" as it is way down on power in normal driving. Has anyone used it? Does it really make a difference and what does it to the engine wear and warranty on the truck. Love the truck, just hate the slow "get up" and constant shifting. Didnt want to Hijack the thread but seems as good a place as any to ask the question. Thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts

mine does better in tow/haul position and traction off.shifts well and no hesitation..not to hyjack but how does the traction control work on the commander.I.E.rear brake engagment or cylinder dropout?

·
Registered
107 Posts

In my opinion don't do it unless it's a know manfacturer and they recommend a local tuner to provide support for there product, spend some time on forums and get the inside info, the motor you save might be yours. I have an SCT handheld programmer I use in my summer toy with 2 custom tunes, race and street, both of which are dyno tested. A chip or handheld programmer can change multiple items including timing, fuel curves, trans shift points and duration ect.. while factory tunes are notoriously "fat" and improper tune can run you to "lean" read-B-O-O-M what you really need pro tuner that knows what your looking for and expect and can put you somewhere in the middle.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts

Stocker said:
what do the chips like jet chips do for your fuel mileage?
They are mainly geared for performance. I wouldn't expect more than 1mpg improvement in fuel economy (if that).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Has anyone tried a programmer. I haven't seen any posts on what they do or whether or not they are worth the $$$.

·
Registered
319 Posts
the following companies make programmers for the Commander's HEMI; Hypertech, Superchips, SCT, not sure bout' Diablo...The following company offers a chip for all 3 power plants available in the U.S.- JET. The following companies offer an exhaust systems for the Commander although some are HEMI only apps: Gibson, Magnaflow, and Dynomax...or you can just take your SUV down to the local muffler shop and add whatever muffler/exhaust you want...

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Todd's comments were made in April 2006, at that time they were probably correct.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Wrong...the following companies make programmers for the Commander's HEMI; Hypertech, Superchips, SCT, not sure bout' Diablo...The following company offers a chip for all 3 power plants available in the U.S.- JET. The following companies offer an exhaust systems for the Commander although some are HEMI only apps: Gibson, Magnaflow, and Dynomax...or you can just take your SUV down to the local muffler shop and add whatever muffler/exhaust you want...
I believe as of the date of that post there were no programmers.

I've been thinking about the Hypertech for my wife's 08 4.7. The stats look good.

http://www.hypertech-inc.com/media/dynocharts/aa/52001_2008 dakota_durango_ram_aspen_cherokee_command.pdf

1 - 20 of 50 Posts