Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious to see what everyone thinks about the future of the Commander? I know that I love mine but have recently read articles that it is a very poor seller for jeep, they are sitting on the lots and that DC is blaming it's poor reception as one of the reasons for their financial difficulties. Thoughts? Also, chances that they will stop being sold? Just curious.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
The timing of there introduction hit at the same time as $3.00 gas. It takes a while for the consumer to get accoustom to the higher prices. We have all see that in the past. Look what is happening to the truck market. Ford is closing 8 plants in the next few years.

·
Registered
541 Posts
MPG needs to be improved, I got a 27 lease with the hope that by the end of it the commander will be more efficient. It is one thirsty beast, and that doesn't help sales.

·
Registered
556 Posts
It catches a lot of eyes, yet eveyone squirms away from it thinking they cant afford the gas. Same as a couple of other vehicles I know of, but...
- Yet my rusted piece of crap '93 s10 blazer 4x4 gets 15-20 mpg. I think I would much rather drive my Commander.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Is the Commander really a poor seller? I thought they were selling well, especially considering the fact that almost all SUV sales are down due to the recent spikes in gas prices.

Well, one benefit of poor sales in deep discounts to the consumer. But gas prices have been declining steadily for a while now, and the most recent new article I read has the price of regular unleaded going under $2.00 by November. Maybe that news will help boost sales a bit....

·
Registered
142 Posts
While I suppose brisk sales of the Commander will/might help trade-in value down the line, I don't really care too much about that since I'm planning on keeping the vehicle for a LONG time. Assuming the worst, let's say gas goes back to $3 and beyond per gallon and Jeep, Ford, GM, etc are forced to either stop making vehicles this large or making them with smaller engines that get crappy performance. I don't care because I got my V-8 parked in the driveway and ready to go when I want to pull my boat or do another chore with my Commander. My annual mileage for the first year of operation is going to be around 5,000 miles and that's only because I drive it sometimes when I just FEEL like it while one of our higher mileage beaters sits in the driveway.

Long term mileage may drop to around 4000 miles down the road so gas at even $3 or more doesn't really effect me the way it does for those of you driving only the Commander at a rate of 15000 miles or more annually.

·
Registered
209 Posts
jeep cmdr...fortunately I am in the same situation you are in whereby the Commander is not driven a ton of miles each year. In fact I doubt I will hit 5,000 miles this year when all is said and done. There is no doubt the Hemi sucks gas but all in all I love the vehicle. As far as slow sales I think everyone said it right that the introduction of the Commander and high gas prices may have hurt it a bit. Heard the other day that Ford is talking to GM about merging....cannot imagine that one being allowed to happen. Of the big three or four (Toyota) I think Ford has the least to offer other then trucks and that is definitely hurting them. Toyota is definitely strong and seems to know what to offer the public at the right time.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Mango~Ridge said:
Introducing the new "Fordrolet" yuc, major electronic problems!
Not just electronic problems, problems all around!

As for the sales of the Commander, I have been told that the Commander is what really saved Jeep from getting into selling trouble. With all of the new jeeps that they are releasing this year, I hope that jeep will get back into the #1 spot of SUV's. Now if only Dodge and Chrysler would come out with some different vehicles. The only chrysler I like is the 300, and the Ram for the Dodge. I saw some sneak previews of the 2008 Caravan and it looks exactly like the Honda Minivan. Diamiler Chrysler needs to come out with some really different styling like the Commander so save the Company from becoming another "Fordolet".

As for the gas prices, I paid $1.98 here in Ohio, but now its back up to $2.04. I did look at the Commander mpg's since i drive 20,000 + miles a year, and since I drive so much, I wanted a nicer more comfortable vehicle than a little Honda, so the Commander it was!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Anybody see today's Wall Street Journal? Front page article about Chrysler's big problems, with the Commander and other Hemi's as the main cause. Says there is loads of excess inventory (Commanders) sitting on parking lots around detroit, waiting for dealers to take them.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Haags said:
Anybody see today's Wall Street Journal? Front page article about Chrysler's big problems, with the Commander and other Hemi's as the main cause. Says there is loads of excess inventory (Commanders) sitting on parking lots around detroit, waiting for dealers to take them.
GM has been having the same exact problem with the Hummer H2. Maybe the H3 is selling a bit better though...

·
Registered
396 Posts
Shame, since it's a nice, luxurious vehicle.

I like mine. It gets compliments and people seem intriqued by it.

It's been doing everything I expected for the most part.

I'm taking it to Vegas tomorrow.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My wife's uncle looked at our Commander, (he has a Mistubishi Montero) and said we got a good deal on it because "these" weren't selling well. I guess he's partly right, since when ever I go by the dealer, there are quite a few of them on the lot. Hey, I guess just like the current housing market, major purchases take a hit sometimes. Suffice it to say, high gas prices effect the SUV market significantly. But what I'd like to know is how much the entire SUV market or the entire automotive industry is affected? Let's explore that before we go jumping to conclusions that Jeep is in trouble and the Commander is to blame. DC has or will add three new models to its lineup (Commander, Patriot, and Compass) and a submodel (Wrangler 4-door) in the past two years. It's a major change for a company to double the size of its line. It goes without saying that Dr. Zetsche is doing something. They've tried to address the major issue that the market is asking for.

Compass (Small SUV styling with a generous MPG rating)
Patriot (Smaller than Liberty four-door SUV with a generous MPG rating)
Commander - the other end of the spectrum (Larger mor luxurious 7-seater SUV with a Hemi Option)
So how can you fault them when there response is as it should be?

The rumors of a Ford-Chevy merger are in response to a market that has seen the quality of American made cars drop or so it seems. DC's quality as far as I can tell from the build quality of my Commander, the 300 on the showroom, my inlaw's Town & Country I always borrow, and the Dodge Charger I test drove seem to be equal if not better than some of the Hondas and Toyotas my friends and relatives have let me drive. Contrary to popular opinion many so-called Japanese automobiles in the US are made in the US. It's just your money that's going overseas to the Japanese that don't pay taxes here (but that's another argument for another day).

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
The Commander may not be selling tons but they are currently beating the 70,000 units that they expected to sell per year.

That said, gas prices and the chicken littles of the world (people who think the sky is falling because gas prices increase) are no help.

The EPA is no help either as they are taking a lifetime to make some rulings on clean diesel technologies. I can guarantee you DCX sales would spike through the roof if they could offer a 50-state legal Bluetec or Bluetec Hydraulic Hybrid system in their bigger cars, trucks, and SUVs (who wouldn't want 450+ lb/ft torque at 30 - 40+ mpg?).

·
Registered
36 Posts
The talk that the Commander is a drag on DCX is pure media ignorance.

First, remember that the Commander is basically a Grand Cherokee underneath. With DCX's Flex Manufacturing, they can make the two vehicles side-by-side on the same assembly line.

Second, sales of the Commander and Grand Cherokee exceed that of the Grand Cherokee alone last year. That is important as that means the platform is being paid for at a more rapid pace.

Third, with the diesel version of the Grand Cherokee next spring, expect the Commander to get it in the fall. That will cure the fuel economy issue.

·
Registered
36 Posts
However, this thread is about the future of the Commander.

I expect to see it get bigger and more like the Rescue Concept. Diesel engines, more fuel efficient and powerful V6's. A new, smaller Hemi.

The Jeep lineup is growing quickly. Compass, Patriot, Wrangler Unlimited, Liberty, Grand Cherokee and Commander. Plus the possible Gladiator (on-again/off-again).

The Commander can distinguish itself by growing and becoming the top-of-the-line premium SUV it deserves.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm completely satisfied with my Commander - I'd love to see the model do well, but even if it doesn't, we'll all have a collector's item one day.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Collectors item? sort of like the big land boats of the 70's are collectors items?:)
I really do love my Commander but I don't think I will hold my breath waiting for the value to start increasing on it.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I plan to have many years of enjoyment on almost any terrain in any weather, tow what I want, camp on the beach..... :D Oh, you meant for teh commander in general, not just mine.

I think that the Commander is just off to a slow start. Sure a few teething pains and snafoos in build, but if I remember right, everyone hated the 84 Cherokee, even remember a news clip of the faithful Jeep crowd calling it an abomination..... Look what it went on to become. Yes, it is a differnt world now, and the commander is one among many, but compared side by side, I find it to be the best midsize for me out there period. I do wish I could have gotten my $$ deal on a diesel powered model, but couldnt wait. I think the commander will go on to carve out a nice slice, especially if Jeep jets its a$$ in gear with a decent Ad campain. NO ONE really knows about it.

But even if it doesnt catch on, I love the Commander, and think it is an outstanding vehicle on every level that matters to me:
Luxury, Quality, Performance on and off road, Safety, Durability, Utility, with a proven and solid engine and drive train. Anyone really ever look at the interior of the GM crappers? The Ford is OK, but the rest of it is Terrible. Ever look at a 2 year old Montero or Pilot? I have, and they wear terrible. I have been looking at used mid size sport utes for 2 years, and have found NOTHING I liked that I could afford. And the 4 Runner/Pathfinder while competetent, just feel cheap to me... MY neighbor has a V-8 06 4 Runner (15K miles), equipped almost exactly like my Commander, he took the commander out for a drive last weekend, and came back beging his wife to trade, he lost of course, for now at least :D In his words, "It just feels so much more solid, and higher quality, from the dash to the seats, and overall look. That is the way most Japanese cars are to me anyhow.

I do like the V-8 Volvo XC90, and Tourareg but they are in a differnet price range and catagory, and GM did an OK job on the Saab 9-7, but that doesnt have the Off Road ability the Jeep does.

The Commander has a future, but will probably not have Ford Explorer sales.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I like being one of the few with the commander. I have seen three in town in the last 6 months. It's like I'm driving an exotic. As far as the brand I will never buy anything else. I have drivin just about every type of auto produced and the commander has the speed, looks, and the quality to beat most of them. The interiors of chevy and ford are the same from the bottom of the line to the top. All chevy models have the same type of look to them. Stuck in a rut?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts