Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all i searched around on here but had no luck .....

I had a few questions regarding some "dealer recommendations"

trans service
-does the filter need to be changed too?
-can i get the service done at a local shop like midas or firestone ro does the dealer need to perform this?
-is it ok to have it done at a shop using the fluid swaping machine, vs manual drain and fill?

fuel induction service
-what does this entail ?
-is this something a local shop can do as well or is this best to have the dealer do this as well?

Thanks in advance,

Pablo

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
The trans should have its pan removed and filters exchanged.....not much point in changing fluid without filters.
Also, Chrysler has made rather specific instructions to its dealers and independent service facilities that the trans is NOT to be machine flushed.

As far as a 'Injection cleaning service' this is a dealer/repair shop created scam.
No where, in your owners manual or a service manual is this service ever called for.

Use a good brand of fuel, and, if you wish for maintenance of the system, run a fuel injection/fuel system cleaner through it twice a year.
Not necessary, but may head off a problem down the road.

Hope that helped,
Rob

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hey Robby, What about a fuel filter change?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Oh, heres a good one. I spent about 4-5 mins at the pump the other morning. At first i thought it read 11.45 and then I observed it was reading, one gallon and a .45 ! :)
I was like, take that pump out cause i dont want your 1000 gallon tank sludge in my truck :)
So now, with 53,000 miles, i wonder (A) where is my fuel filter and if its a simple change? My last fuel filter change was back about 1990, in my 1981 mustang :) Most of my cars never last this long.... :)

·
Super Moderator
14,964 Posts
Oh, heres a good one. I spent about 4-5 mins at the pump the other morning. At first i thought it read 11.45 and then I observed it was reading, one gallon and a .45 ! :)
I was like, take that pump out cause i dont want your 1000 gallon tank sludge in my truck :)
So now, with 53,000 miles, i wonder (A) where is my fuel filter and if its a simple change? My last fuel filter change was back about 1990, in my 1981 mustang :) Most of my cars never last this long.... :)
See this thread---> http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13708

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
...As far as a 'Injection cleaning service' this is a dealer/repair shop created scam.
No where, in your owners manual or a service manual is this service ever called for.

Use a good brand of fuel, and, if you wish for maintenance of the system, run a fuel injection/fuel system cleaner through it twice a year.
Not necessary, but may head off a problem down the road.

Hope that helped,
Rob
Just so people don't misunderstand, Fuel Injectors can get dirty and effect performance, BUT, I totally agree, expensive injector cleaner service is a scam. Totally agree with your advice aslo.

I've only noticed some possible symptoms as a vehicle get up past the 150k miles / 8-10 year mark in age, and even then, if it was dirty injectors (remember old spark plugs and ignition wire can give the same symptoms) running a bottle of Chevron Cleaner w/ Techron in the tank cured the problem.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
WileyNJ said:

See this thread---> http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13708

WileyNJ, sorry you were a little brief in you description, I don't really understood what happened or what you discovered while fueling your vehicle.

The U.S. Gasoline supply has improved in quality drastically over the last few decades. It is pretty uncommon to get bad gas now-a-days, if you you've ever seen the panel off a gas pump, you'd see water traps and filters in it, to do that one more time before finally going in your tank.

That is why manufacturers are NO longer recommending changing fuel filters, they likely can last the life of the vehicle. As well, fuel filter, along with the Engine's Electronic Brain, seems to be one of those that folks always want to jump to conclusions and blame as the problem as soon as they have troubles they can't figure out.

But, if you want to change it, Chrysler went to a fuel filter that is snap-in module on the fuel pump. It may be different on the Commander, so confirm this, but just about every Chrysler since 1999 has been this way.

The fuel filter snaps into fuel pump, on the portion that is on the outside of the fuel tank. So no, you don't have to remove the fuel pump to remove the filter. BUT, since the outer exposed portion of the fuel pump is on the top of the tank, you can't get to it easily.

On my '02 Mini-Van I had to loosen the straps and lower the gas tank quite a bit, before being to get enough room to reach in and unsnap the fuel filter and snap in a new one.

Looking at my Commander's fuel tank, it looks like you would have to do the same thing.

One more note of discouragement, this new kind of fuel filter design by Chrysler, the filter is one integral piece with fuel pressure regulator. So that means you have to pay for a filter and pressure regulator, and likely no aftermarket companies offer it, so you'll likely have to go to the Dealer and pay them $75 or more for a new fuel filter.

Of course, having said all that, I've never changed a Commander Fuel Filter, I'm guessing, if someone comes along and says they've done the job and I'm wrong, listen to them, NOT me.

·
Super Moderator
14,964 Posts
But, if you want to change it, Chrysler went to a fuel filter that is snap-in module on the fuel pump. It may be different on the Commander, so confirm this, but just about every Chrysler since 1999 has been this way.
IIRC someone said once that the fuel filter on the Commander was actually in the gas tank.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
IIRC someone said once that the fuel filter on the Commander was actually in the gas tank.
I'll double check.

Yea, I went through some parts catalogs, the poor copy of the service manual I have and it does indeed look like this is true. They have changed the general design again and it does appear the filter is internal inside the fuel pump.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts