Jeep Commander Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone interested in joining us on this camping trip is welcome just let me know, We will leave northern Va on Thursday 04/30 and will pack up after lunch Sunday 05/03 to head back :)

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Didnt they just close a lot of GWNF down due to under age drinking and what not?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Didnt they just close a lot of GWNF down due to under age drinking and what not?
How does that affect the forum get together in August?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
How does that affect the forum get together in August?
Im not sure if it will effect the forum get together in August as i'm not sure exactly what parts they closed down. I'd definately look into it though if you guys still plan to go down there! I remember reading something about it either on this forum or one of the Wrangler forums.

Maybe he likes to drink.........
All I said is that I think they closed down parts of GWNF for off roading due to under age kids out there drinking and wheeling. That and damaging the property. What does that have to do with me and drinking?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
All I said is that I think they closed down parts of GWNF for off roading due to under age kids out there drinking and wheeling. That and damaging the property. What does that have to do with me and drinking?
I do believe this is what we call a joke comment. Relax man.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
March 25, 2009

George Washington & Jefferson National Forests
5162 Valleypointe Parkway
Roanoke, VA 24019

(540) 265-5100

PATTERSON ROAD CLOSED DUE TO OFF-ROAD DAMAGE

New Castle, VA --- The Forest Service has placed an emergency road closure on Patterson Creek Road
in Craig and Botetourt counties. Over the past two weekends, people driving off-road vehicles have
caused approximately $30,000 worth of damage. Law Enforcement Officers have cited 39 individuals
for multiple illegal offenses. John Price, the Law Enforcement Officer on scene, assures the public “We
are committed to stopping this abuse of the national forest and we intend to make those convicted pay to

repair the damage.”

The damage to the environment is extensive. Illegal cross-country travel has destroyed vegetation and
wildlife openings. Mud-bogging in the creek, riparian areas, and on the road itself caused extensive
erosion. Five days after the damage occurred, the creek remained cloudy from sedimentation affecting
water quality in Patterson Creek. It will take 6-12 months before the area will once again provide food
and nesting benefits for wildlife. Eastern Divide District Ranger Cindy Schiffer states “We are deeply

saddened that people would destroy our public lands and we will implement measures to ensure this
doesn’t happen again.”

Locked gates, restricting 6.5 miles of Patterson Creek Road (FDR 184) in Botetourt County, are now in
place near the intersection of SR 612 and on the O & I Road (FDR 5020) near the intersection with SR
818. Gates will remain locked until further notice.

Damage to roads during the winter and spring is a long-standing problem. Most road damage occurs in
January, February and March when roads are soft from freeze/thaw patterns followed by spring rains.

Even legal activities and proper use of the roads may cause damage during this time period. Ranger

Schiffer is considering implementing seasonal road closures on most Forest Service roads on the Eastern
Divide Ranger District from January through March of each year.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Cico7!!!!!!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Where do you plan on camping....wife would like to know where as we were planing on camping that weekend. We could make a road trip up to meet some forum members.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I do believe this is what we call a joke comment. Relax man.
Haha I know, I was just messing around. Do you sense the sarcasim :stickpoke:

AKFossil,

Are you really Air Assault? Im Airborne, and was just curious!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I am retired now but yes I was Air Assault :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We will be entering G.W.N.P. from West Augusta here is a meeting spot where we get gas and supplies
Mountain View Country Store

162 Shenandoah Mountain Dr
West Augusta, VA 24485-2002
(540) 939-4650

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes some of the Trails are closed but where we camp is not and there are allot of other trails that are open, the area we enter is pretty quiet so we should be OK, We went there last month but did not have time to post an invite since it was a last moment excursion

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Take pics! So I can live through you :D and I hope its a awesome weekend weather wise.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
So how did the trip go?

You should be banned for not posting pics as soon as you got home!

Haha jk

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have been tryin to post the pics up but some how having an issue, yes we had lots of fun, we got there around 8 pm on Thursday and set camp also did not rain till Sunday morning so 3 days and 2 nights with no rain and cool weather was not bad

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.