Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

This is all very new for me. Ive never been one to be completely "obsessed" with my vehicle...until now. I bought my jeep at the beginning of February, completely in love with it, but knowing nothing about it, the second day in it ran hot (after a heater hose busted) and BOOM there goes the engine! SO, we decided to go ahead with finding someone to rebuild the engine, which was quite the process as well, but i've learned quite a bit in the last 4 months! There is still so many questions and concerns that i have, she is quite a temperamental thing.

2008 Jeep Commander Limited
2WD 5.7L V8 Hemi

·
Super Moderator
15,091 Posts
@jess.schwind Welcome to the forum! WOW! That wasn't a good start to Commander ownership! Glad you didn't give up on her.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@jess.schwind Welcome to the forum! WOW! That wasn't a good start to Commander ownership! Glad you didn't give up on her.

I just couldn’t! I do have a question for you, since I see you have a HEMI, too, I’m SUPER SUPER SUPER paranoid about two things.

first, the water temp, for obvious reasons. Haha. What temp, roughly, would you say your engine runs at?

second would the where the oil level reads on the dipstick. There are so many mixed opinions. The mechanic that rebuilt the engine says it will ALWAYS read low, but it just makes me so nervous!

·
Super Moderator
15,091 Posts
first, the water temp, for obvious reasons. Haha. What temp, roughly, would you say your engine runs at?
My water temperature gauge is always ever so slightly on the cold side of the midway point. I have never seen it deviate from that position.

second would the where the oil level reads on the dipstick. There are so many mixed opinions. The mechanic that rebuilt the engine says it will ALWAYS read low, but it just makes me so nervous!
Mine does not read low. I don't know why he would say that.

·
Super Moderator
15,091 Posts
And in case you don't know, you need to use 5W-20 weight oil. I use Mobil 1 full synthetic.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Also the HEMI uses 7 quarts of oil with oil and filter change. Also mine runs the same on dipstick and temp as Jeep 5253

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just couldn’t! I do have a question for you, since I see you have a HEMI, too, I’m SUPER SUPER SUPER paranoid about two things.

Mine is usually within a flew clicks of direct center. I have a leak somewhere and constantly have to refill it, and even still the engine rarely runs hot, even here in Florida. As far as oil, mine also always reads low. My next big project is to replace all the valve cover gaskets because I suspect there's some engine oil leakage coming from there (mechanic buddy of mine thinks so too), but even after a fresh oil change, it reads low.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts