Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a getlost 10 bolt rear diff cover for sale. I will have a picture of it shortly.

This is the one that requires the spacer because it is not deep enough to bolt on.

It is quite heavy. Make a good paper weight or wheel chalk.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here it is:

The 10 bolt differential cover that isnt. For the cost of shipping, you could
have this hanging in your garage!

·
2,248 Posts
Or you could add a spacer and use it like it was supposed to be used. I donated one of them at Silverton. Tymac won it in the drawing. I wonder if he got it mounted on his rear end, or at least on his differential. It needed the spacer also. I think he also got some synthetic gear lube, but I might be wrong about that.

Tymac.....did you get it to work?

When we mounted them the pinion gear would touch the inside of the cover. It was not deep enough and needed a spacer to be welded to the mating surface and then ground off level to extend the cover farther out.

It should not be to hard to make the spacer.

·
2,248 Posts
Mr Psycho,

You might ask Tymac about making a spacer and then you two could donate it to the next trail ride that you attend.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I would use it if I had a spacer for it. How deep does it need to be?
Last I spoke to Tymac, he said he had not received the spacer. But it has been several months.

I know nothing about welding, though I can use a soldering iron. Is that close?

I am sure I can find a machine shop to do it.

Tymac, did you get a spacer?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
You guys need to get these mounted to cover your rear ends. Enough of the plumber's crack, already.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
No spacer. Ross was moving into his new digs when I won it. I was supposed to get back with him to see if he found it. By then work was getting real busy again so goes my initiative.

Don, hold onto yours and I'll make us a pair of the spacers needed. I bought a new welder and Chuck has been bragging about his "mad" welding skills. Let me know if you want to do that or just off it. I'll take it. Then I could have matching book ends.

Thanks again Bill for the generous donation to the camp raffle fund last year.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Can one of you guys measure the inside depth of your cover? I might need a spacer too, I have not tried to install mine yet.

·
2,248 Posts
I remember that the gear did not hit the inside of the cover by much. It made the cover rocks slightly on its axis. It would be safer and better to make the spacer a little to thick than to thin. The extra space would just add a little more capacity to the fluid. I would estimate that a 1/2 inch flat ring would be enough. Also remember to use longer bolts to install the cover. You could use the cover as a pattern and sit it on top of a piece of flat stock and trace the outer edges. Then cut out the inside circle and weld it by running a bead arount the outside and inside where the two pieces meet leaving the mating surface flat and clean. The bolt hole would provice pilot holes for drilling the holes in the spacer.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will await your spacers! And I look forward to seeing Chucks' skill at that.
Can we put a gas tank skid plate on my XK? I'll come up some weekend with Beer, Steaks, and skid plates....if/when you have the time.......

No spacer. Ross was moving into his new digs when I won it. I was supposed to get back with him to see if he found it. By then work was getting real busy again so goes my initiative.

Don, hold onto yours and I'll make us a pair of the spacers needed. I bought a new welder and Chuck has been bragging about his "mad" welding skills. Let me know if you want to do that or just off it. I'll take it. Then I could have matching book ends.

Thanks again Bill for the generous donation to the camp raffle fund last year.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
So you guys were all sold differential covers that didnt fit properly. I assume you were refunded your money right?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
So you guys were all sold differential covers that didnt fit properly. I assume you were refunded your money right?
I do not know if mine fits or not, I was afraid to try it if it too was to short. Need a measurement from the other two that I can compare to mine.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I had a different issue with mine - the bolt holes didn't line up on the original one, but Ross sent out the correct one for mine. The problem I have/had was that the drain plug was leaking - but since I had a shop put it on for me when they did the rear diff service, I don't know if it was design error or they mis-threaded it. I put the old diff cover back on just recently and am going to see if it is fixable with my "lack of mad mechanical skills" unlike so many of you here on the forum that make MacGyver look like a boy scout!

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think TYMAC won his and I traded a $12 light for mine. So I cant speak to refunds.

49er I will measure mine when i get home tonight.

But I didnt try mine to see if it would fit. I read about the others with depth issues and the bolts issue, and then I had my own event when I was going to replace it....had the wrong oil and not enough of it....That is in another post...I never got to try it to see if it fits. At $18 a bottle for the synthetic lube, I dont want to try it too often.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
49er I will measure mine when i get home tonight.

But I didnt try mine to see if it would fit. I read about the others with depth issues and the bolts issue, and then I had my own event when I was going to replace it....had the wrong oil and not enough of it....That is in another post...I never got to try it to see if it fits. At $18 a bottle for the synthetic lube, I dont want to try it too often.
I will measure mine tonight too and let you guys know that depth of it as well.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did this in Xcel then made it into a picture. If you add up the width diminsions, the numbers don't take the thickness of the metal into consideration. The width of the lip is 1" inside ...Oh crap, that 7 is really 6.75 I will do this over tonight. I hope you get the idea though.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Sorry guys I just got back in town yesterday morning then was way busy with the family. I will pull my cover in the next day or so and measure the additional clearance needed and let you know.

There is a member from this site that has access to pattern cutting and he doesn't live far.

So far a running total is 3 spacers:

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
So far a running total is 3 spacers:
I will measure the depth of my cover and let you know. I forgot where I put it :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts