Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GetLost 4x4 hitch tire carrier is still working fine. However, I sold the tent trailer and moved up to a bigger trailer. I'm convinced that the tire carrier has to reduce my towing capacity somewhat, but how much?

So far I haven't tried towing with the carrier installed. It only takes about 10 minutes to take it off, but then I'm left without a spare. So my options seem to be:
-try towing with the carrier (also a pain unless I use a hitch extension also).
-remove it for each trip (a minor pain).
-sell it and put the tire back up top on the cargo rack.
-live life on the edge and drive around without a spare tire.

My trailer GVW is 5600 lbs. What's the heaviest you pull with anything else attached to the hitch?

·
2,248 Posts
I have the 4X4 spare tire carrier and I tow a bracket race car on a full size flatbed trailer. I use a weight distributing hitch and it does not interfere in any way with the tire carrier. It sounds like your concern is with the junction of the area where the receiver is extended due to the original receiver being used to mount the tire carrier. Ross reinforced the new receiver and the entire assembly is also stronger because of the subframe connections under the rear bumper. The important issue is probably the tongue weight. If you use a weight distributing hitch you can equalize and spread the weight toward the front tires and also toward the trailer tires. I actually saw an ad years ago that used a front wheel drive Toronado to pull a trailer with the rear wheels removed.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I agree with Huey, it is the tongue weight to be concerned about. Get a good weight distributing tow hitch and certainly take it easy while towing. Also, when you load extra stuff in your new trailer, put the heaviest stuff over the trailer axles if you can to keep it more balanced. You should do this whether you remove the tire carrier or not.

That said, I don't have a rear tire carrier so I have my spare mounted on my roof basket. That works fine for me. And you don't really need access to the spare very often. I made a tire mount for the roof rack for about $10 bucks worth of materials.
Posted in #162 and 163 in the following thread.

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4810&page=17

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just saw a copy of that ad online, now I can't find it. I have a Reese WD setup. Total hitch weight is going to be around 400 lbs once I get everything loaded. I'm just worried about putting too much stress on the hitch. I guess I'm comparing it to hitch extension bars, some of them I've seen have warnings that they cut the hitch capacity by 2/3!

I had my spare up top before, just using some u-bolts through the rack. I couldn't seem to keep a cover on it, I'm a bit more worried about sun damage here in southern California. (probably not much of a difference vertical or horizontal on the back, I suppose).

·
Super Moderator
15,108 Posts
I just saw a copy of that ad online, now I can't find it. I have a Reese WD setup. Total hitch weight is going to be around 400 lbs once I get everything loaded. I'm just worried about putting too much stress on the hitch. I guess I'm comparing it to hitch extension bars, some of them I've seen have warnings that they cut the hitch capacity by 2/3!

I had my spare up top before, just using some u-bolts through the rack. I couldn't seem to keep a cover on it, I'm a bit more worried about sun damage here in southern California. (probably not much of a difference vertical or horizontal on the back, I suppose).
Towing capacity is not determined by the hitch alone, but also the strain on the drivetrain.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
He has a Hemi, so I think he pull the weight. For sure if he has the factory tow option.

I was concerned about the UV damage to my tire on the roof but I do a 5 tire rotation so a given tire is not up there very long. But I guess it would be better to cover it...if you can keep it from blowing off.

·
2,248 Posts
The Safe Cracker comes thru with the picture....

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Just a quick a google search! :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, so for the first towing I chickened out and took the carrier off. It doesn't take that long. I leave the side braces attached. There's enough other tripping hazards hanging off the back already.

So I put it all back together today, and just for fun stuck the hitch back in. If I go with this route I'll have to get a hitch bar with more adjustment holes, this will make the trailer ride nose high. Putting riser blocks on the trailer is an eventual goal, but not soon. (One friend commented, "Do you have to lift everything?")

So then I pull out my trusty Draw-tite hitch extender, that I use with the bike carrier to clear the tire. This just doesn't look safe to me...

Comments?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
That is a long distance away from the back of the vehicle. Any chance you can hook up a trailer and take a picture of what it does to the nose of the Commander?

·
2,248 Posts
I think that I would avoid using the extender because of the amount of leverage induced by that much length. The only good thin is that you would not hit your rear corners in a tight turn or jackknife with that much extension...lol.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is a long distance away from the back of the vehicle. Any chance you can hook up a trailer and take a picture of what it does to the nose of the Commander?
With the weight distribution bars I have it adjusted so the front only rises by 1/4 inch. But I haven't tried it with the extension. I have towed a small utility trailer with that extension bar, it does make tight turns possible!

I think the plan is to take the carrier off when towing the big trailer.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I think taking the tire carrier off with the big trailer is a good idea. Better safe than sorry. What are you going to do with the spare?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What are you going to do with the spare?
Well, I have 3 choices:

1) Leave it home (not a good solution)

2) put it on the roof rack (really can't hurt gas mileage any more)

3) Toss it in the trailer (plenty of storage space for such).

Probably put it in the trailer unless the bikes are coming along, then it goes on top.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts