Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So its night time. I live in a basic City, nothing like the size of Chicago but not Farm Country. I am driving down the road with my normal lights on. No brights, no fog lights, just normal driving lights. And sure enough, some jackass flashes his brights at me.

2 minutes later, It happens again.

In a given night I get flashed about 3 times in a 30 minute drive (usually more).

Does this happen to other people? Is it because we are higher? Are our light naturally brighter?

I really just wanna get roof rack lights so blind these bastards that flash me

·
Registered
258 Posts
hmmm...I haven't noticed that yet. I would say that maybe they were warning you of a smokey sitting running radar...but if get that often. Dunno.

Were you loaded down in the back? Different head light bulbs? ie: SilverStar

·
Registered
79 Posts
I replaced my low beam bulbs from stock to the sylvania silverstar ultras and I never got flashed before or after the upgrade. I am thinking maybe you had some extra load in your trunk or maybe the angle of the bulbs might be altered slightly higher.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
LuckyAx2 said:
I really just wanna get roof rack lights so blind these bastards that flash me
That's not very nice. I have never been flashed to dim my lights in my Commander.. Your lights must be too bright or they wouldn't be flashing you like that. Maybe your lights need to be re-aimed or maybe the Smart Beam ain't being so smart and needs to be adjusted.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I put brighter lights (HIR's) in mine. I put out between 40% more light on low beam than stock. I have never been flashed to dim my lights. If they do though, they really ain't gonna like it when i turn on the Highs. BWAHAHAHAHA With those on I'm at 75% more light output.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Might just need to get the headlight alignment checked out. I know mine doesn't have smart beam. But I do highly recommend the headlight upgrade too. I took mine out of my Magnum when I traded it off and put them in the Jeep.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey Red!! Did you have to do any mods for the HIR bulbs or was it just a simple swap of the stock to HIR? WHat kind did you use and if you can post any pics of the light output.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I did have to mod the tabs on the new Toshiba bulbs so the tabs matched the factory headlight bulbs. Other than that, no. I used Toshiba light bulbs, I'll try to find the info again. I posted it here once but everyone just kept going on and on about how great silverstars are so I gave up. If I can find it, I'll post a link or shot you a PM.

I do not have pics to post, I can just tell you it's further, wider, and brighter. But not annoying to oncoming traffic. Well worth the $90 I spend for all 4 bulbs (purchased on a group buy)

Here's some more info: http://hirheadlights.com/

http://shnu.us/HIR Trimming Stock.htm

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
I get the same problem, and I keep meaning to lower the angel - because it is very high. But, I'm lazy after the sun goes down.

·
Registered
195 Posts
This was discussed last year with the '06 Cmdrs. Some of the cars produced early in the model year had the low beams set too high. I adjusted mine myself using the garage wall & a yard stick, set 'em to 30".

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Jim Archer said:
This was discussed last year with the '06 Cmdrs. Some of the cars produced early in the model year had the low beams set too high. I adjusted mine myself using the garage wall & a yard stick, set 'em to 30".
Top or bottom of the light pattern? At what distance from the wall?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
RedCommander said:
I put brighter lights (HIR's) in mine. I put out between 40% more light on low beam than stock. I have never been flashed to dim my lights. If they do though, they really ain't gonna like it when i turn on the Highs. BWAHAHAHAHA With those on I'm at 75% more light output.
I had some fool flash me in my Cherokee (on a road where there is never radar so it wasn't for that) which has DOT-approved replacement housings and the Silverstar bulbs. I was like WTF, and flipped to my high beams and then reached down and hit the switch for my fog lights which have a modified reflector. I swear I could hear his screams of agony ringing through the night.

Moral of the story NEVER flash someone for having their high beams on unless you are really sure that they have their high beams on. I would have hated to be that guy if I had HIRs (or if I ever get around to install the HID driving lights I purchased to replace the fogs).

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've been flashed, I've had someone turn around and follow me, I've gotten the finger. I took my XK in to have them checked and they were adjusted correctly.:confused:

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Correctly may mean factory settings, which for me, are definitely high. I get flashed by truckers on the interstate too.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I've always wanted to be flashed by a woma...ohh sorry, misunderstood the thread..lol

·
Registered
588 Posts
I WAS flashed once by an attractive blond woman once. I guess she like my nicely modified TJ, she was driving a stock TJ. john

1 - 20 of 41 Posts