Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Current situation: I have a 2006 limited Hemi with the IV Tow package. Suspension parts feel like they are ready for replacement. Tires are due as well. As far as I can tell, the Jeep is not lifted, but it does have 245/70R17 tires.
The Jeep is our family car and no longer a daily driver. I don't use it for off-roading. We are thinking about getting a travel trailer. I'm thinking something that is 5000lbs loaded ? 18 feet or smaller. I don't want to get to close to the max.

For the back I was thinking Monroe 58646 Load adjust shock absorbers as a start.
Do you guys have any idea/insights?

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Current situation: I have a 2006 limited Hemi with the IV Tow package. Suspension parts feel like they are ready for replacement. Tires are due as well. As far as I can tell, the Jeep is not lifted, but it does have 245/70R17 tires.
The Jeep is our family car and no longer a daily driver. I don't use it for off-roading. We are thinking about getting a travel trailer. I'm thinking something that is 5000lbs loaded ? 18 feet or smaller. I don't want to get to close to the max.

For the back I was thinking Monroe 58646 Load adjust shock absorbers as a start.
Do you guys have any idea/insights?
You might consider replacing the rear springs.....how many miles are on your XK?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have between 150k and 160k miles on the xk. Unfortunately someone messed with the odometer before we bought it so we are not exactly sure but it's going to be around there. Rear springs sound good, any suggestions? I'll try to upload a picture of the xk tomorrow, just looking at it the rear seems higher as is. I think I got recommend to replace the lower control arms a while ago, I'm going to look into that as well.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I put in the "AirLift 1000 Load Assist Rear Spring Kit - 60811" and have been very happy with the ride and handling while towing our TT. If you haven't done it recently I would highly recommend having your transmission serviced (fluid and filters). The 545 is a good trany, but they do heat up a bit while towing especially in the mountains.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unloaded Jeep. Thanks for the advise, I'll have the trany serviced for sure. I didn't even know things like the airlift existed, I'm glad I asked on the forum first.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just by eyeball, may be the angle of the photo, the rear looks the correct height, the front looks to be sitting quite a bit low.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For sure there is far more clearance on the back. I am going to look for the lower control arms but I also need new shocks in the front. So far I haven't been able to find the front equivalents of the Monroes I want in the back

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I have between 150k and 160k miles on the xk. Unfortunately someone messed with the odometer before we bought it so we are not exactly sure but it's going to be around there. Rear springs sound good, any suggestions? I'll try to upload a picture of the xk tomorrow, just looking at it the rear seems higher as is. I think I got recommend to replace the lower control arms a while ago, I'm going to look into that as well.
I don't think you need to upgrade your rear springs per say, but, if you have 150,000 + miles on your current set up, a fresh set of rear springs would probably be a good idea, since you are planning on doing quite a bit of towing now.

·
Registered
147 Posts
For sure there is far more clearance on the back. I am going to look for the lower control arms but I also need new shocks in the front. So far I haven't been able to find the front equivalents of the Monroes I want in the back
There are many different mopar front springs listed , but aftermarket complete strut replacements seem to have one standard. The Hemi Commander with a factory tow package as the highest spring rate springs of the WK/XK line. I wonder if at some point in your commander's life a soft set of full strut replacements were put on causing the front to sag.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Once I have the replacements ready I'll let you know what the sag was. My mechanic was supposed to come over this week but it has been raining.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Once I have the replacements ready I'll let you know what the sag was. My mechanic was supposed to come over this week but it has been raining.
Looking at the pics you posted, your front end definitely looks to be drooping more than it should be with the factory set-up.

New front springs or a new set of front shock/strut combos would probably make a world of difference.

A leveling, spacer lift, like the 2 inch RC lift, is another reasonably priced option that would definitely lift up & level out that front end sag. I would still probably replace those front springs though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes I am going to take your recommendation and replace the front springs, shocks/struts. Driving the car I can feel they are worn out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts