Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of these major brands of aftermarket performance exhausts, which is the highest quality and sounds closer to stock...i.e. not noisy?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Re: Gibson, Bora, Magaflow...which is better and why?

I used to build custom exhaust for a few years and we always preferred to install the Magnaflow over most anything else. The main reason was its smooth deep sound that typically did not resonate into the cab as much as the others. As far as the quality I never saw anything better than the Borla but you definitely pay for it and I was never a fan of their sound. (it always sounded choked to me.) The Gibson systems always fit nicely but they usually were a little louder due to their muffler design. Because of the SUV body a louder muffler may become annoying by creating a loud droaning (sp?) sound in the back section of the cabin. But this is all personal preference. Let me know what you go with, I would love to do a system, but if Mama isn't happy the wedding may be off.:D Good luck.

·
Registered
110 Posts

Commander said:
I would love to do a system, but if Mama isn't happy the wedding may be off.:D Good luck.
That is a great line and it is so true!!

When I was single and I wanted something, I got it. Married w/ kids I've always needed a good excuse to get anything I wanted. On this note, I met an old second generation farmer years ago while on a hunting trip. He had been attempting to plow a rocky strip of dirt with his tractor when I felt sympathy and gave him my last cold drink. We struck up a conversation that came around to marriage. He had been married to the same woman since they were teenagers and had many successful children. As payment for the cold drink he gave me this sage advice:

- It's okay to chase women and sow wild oats, just stay single.
- It's great to find a good woman and get married, but you can no longer chase women.
- When married anything you want to buy will cost twice as much as it did when you were single, because you must always buy something of equal or greater value for your wife.

He said if you follow these rules, don't let drink disturb your home or work, and you go to church on Sundays......then you'll live long and happy, get the things you need and will quite often get most of what you want.

XKPearl:)

·
Registered
122 Posts

I'm on the waiting list for an exhaust system also ... put forth by my wife :)

With another kid on the way .. all the planned mods are put on hold.

The Magnaflow seems to sound the best for me + wife. Cost is around $539
The Borla seems a bit louder from what I hear ... Cost is $599 from Crutchfield ... and you thought they only sell stereos :)

·
Registered
79 Posts

I found the Magnaflow at $450 to my door from performancepeddler.com.

-mike

·
Registered
20 Posts

Has anyone modified the V6 exhaust? I'm definitely interested and just wondered what was out there and how much it costs.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts

As payment for the cold drink he gave me this sage advice:

So true, I will have to remember that one.

·
Registered
396 Posts

Love my Gibson:

·
Registered
89 Posts

I ordered the Magnaflow and should get it installed by this weekend. I'll try to find some way of posting how it sounds on my JC V8 Hemi. Do any of you know what file formats the attachments accept?

Thanks!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Looking for a Dual Outlet Exhaust

I know that a true dual is not practical right now, but would love the look of a dual outlet exhaust. I may go for a flow master 40, and have a local speed shop bend me up some 3" stainless tubing with chrome tips to go straight out the back. This would look and sound sweet. I have this setup on my 442 and it cost $650, and that was with a Y pipe cat back with two Flowmasters. Anyone mess like this on the JC?

·
Registered
527 Posts

I dont know much about the gibson, but I've put Borla on some cars, and they are pretty high quality, great workmanship, abut a bit pricy. Not impressed with magna-flow. Prefer Flowmaster or Hooker Systems.

·
Registered
79 Posts

I've been very satisfied with the Magnaflow. I was concerned about the noise level and wanted it to be quiet until you got on it. Well it is precisely that, very nice around town and on the highway but opens up nicely when yo hit it. Also the fit and stainless steel finish is solid as well.

-mike

·
Registered
120 Posts
The only thing that i don't like, is they all seem to hang down lower than the rear under body skid. I like how the stock pipe is tucked up underneath the vehicle, never was a fan of big pipes sticking out. although the chrome looks nice. I'm afraid it would get crushed.

·
Registered
79 Posts

I agree that it would be better if it was tucked up under more, but it is what it is. I think from a performance perspective the less bend the better the performance. I vote for performance and sound quality though, and like the clean lines of the pipe design.

Actually, I really like the way it looks but you are correct; I lost some departure angle but I also gained with an additional 3 ½” of ground clearance.:D I haven't seen another stainless aftermarket design tucked up any better.

·
Registered
89 Posts

Daytomann said:
Is the Magnaflow just a muffler or is it a cat back system??
It comes as a cat-back system.

·
Registered
6 Posts

If your Cmdr has the Hemi..consider the Flowmaster 50HD series. I put one (cat back system) on my 05 Dodge Ram...nice deep yet mellow sound and is highly recommended due to it was designed for the Hemi to properly scavenge exhaust pulses. I also noticed a slight performance gain...total cost for system and labor was $550.

Boyscout

·
Registered
122 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts

No experience with that, but in regards to the Borla which is top of the line. I put mine on today and it looks super sharp... the looks are the same as the Magnaflow pics posted earlier in this thread except it says Borla. But where it really counts it performs and sounds really great.... no drone sound or resonating sounds at all. It puts out a mellow deep tone and is nearly factory quiet at idle, and somewhat quiet unless you are stepping on it a little. I absolutely am thrilled with the tone and performance. I can already see I am going to have a mileage difference. It offers a nice throaty tone and not the brapppp that you get with glass packs and some of those exhausts you often hear. Got it at performancecenter for about $560 delivered. Do your homework on what the systems are actually made of (interior). Go to the web sites such as Borla and read the FAQ section. I think you will find a bunch that claim Stainless Steel but pretty much leave that at the exterior w/o ever telling you what is on the inside. The outside really is irrelevant as to how much shine is on it as it will never show other than the tip. To each his own but I must say I couldn't be happier.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts