Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had an issue with the tail pipe tip cover not fitting (or melting plastic in my case), and/or a strange vibration from the rear at idle? Just installed last night and have to say that I am not too impressed w fitment of this product. Finally cut the bolts off only to discover that the bolts Gibson sent to mount the head pipe up were WAY too long. Figured out a temporary fix since the hardware store had already closed.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I took a while to decide if I wanted the tip or not, but I did put it on, and it did rub and melt the very underside of the plastic on the bumper. I remember I put a small piece of rock between the tip and the bumper for a few days originally to help the plastic bend up and out of the way when it got warm from the exhaust. I don't have any rattling, etc. Mine went on pretty easy too, but I bought mine used from a guy on this forum, so maybe he had already made some adjustments. Sorry your not very happy now, but I bet in a few weeks you will love it, I know I do!
-JJ

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh I love the result on the sound and on the performance...was last thing in needed after CAI and performance chip. I just wished these folks would have been a little more diligent on the parts they sent.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I bent my tip on the very first outing, it might be okay for street use but off road it is too big.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I also like the sound but I have to agree about the fitment and minor quality issues, including the exhaust tip as it melted my bumper cover too. I finally had to get under the truck with a mallet while I ad it on a lift and beat the muffler into position, then it stopped rattling and hitting the bumper cover.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally got this thing fitting the right way. Needed to experiment with the angle of the final pipe run - note that expansion due to heat is significant in this exhaust. The noise I was getting came from the pipe expanding and barely hitting the front of the spare tire support. I also ended up cutting some of the bumper underneath to account for the larger tip and it now can be tucked away nicely w minimal hangout. You cannot see the cuts from anywhere but under the truck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gibson Exhaust 4.7L

Gibson only lists a cat-back system for a 2WD 4.7L. Has anyone purchased the Gibson #17402 and had a successful install on the 4WD 4.7L Commander?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts