Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about ordering the gibson exhaust for my 4.7l commander. I am just wondering the difference between Aluminized and the Stainless and wondering if anyone has any sound clips? I know they are 2 different metals, but what would you guys recommned and why? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
What's the cost difference, and where do you live?

Aluminum will be cheaper, but more prone to corrosion from road salt and such. Aluminum can't be welded to steel pipes, so the system is clamped together.

Stainless steel is more corrosion resistant, but more rust prone from water condensation in the muffler if it sits for a long time. It can be welded to other pipes in the exhaust, eliminating possible leaks and separations in the system.

Bottom line: its your call, especially in the wallet and for how long you plan to keep the truck. I'd go steel, but I live in a snow zone and will be keeping the truck for a long time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i live in missouri and we get our fair share of snow. i think there is about $150 difference between the 2. i plan on keeping my cmdr until the wheels fall off of it...haha. i think that i may just save up for the steel because we have tons of salt on the roads during the winter. i would like to hear what it will sound like if anyone has a clip. thanks.

·
Registered
184 Posts
There will not be much difference in sound between the Stainless Steel and Aluminum exhausts. As far as sound clips, here is some clips of the Gibson on a 5.7. Don't know if there are any clips of the 4.7.

http://gibsonexhaust.com/sounds/mp3/album2/jeep_commander_57L_s.mp3
http://gibsonexhaust.com/sounds/mp3/album2/jeep_commander_57L_flyby.mp3

Also, Magnaflow has some media files on there site... Scroll down to the Jeep section and you can hear their catback on a GC 5.7 (Which would sound exatly the same on a Commander...)

http://www.magnaflow.com/04sound/04trucks.asp

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the clips. is there any other brands of exhaust for the 4.7L? i havnt been able to find any yet. I figured that there would be more, but i guess that the HEMI may take all of our noise...haha.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I live in Southern CA, so salt and moisture is not much of an issue.

I went with the aluminized Gibson.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've not tried any of Magnaflow products, but I have had both Stainless Steel and Aluminized Steel cat-backs, the aluminized steel one was a Flowmaster Force 2 on a '91 Chevy Z/71, it was still in fine shape when I sold the truck 7 years after I installed the system, the SS systems are certainly more bullet proof, but I think if your out of the rust-belt the aluminized systems will probably outlast your ownership of the vehicle, at least that was my experience anyways.

·
Registered
157 Posts
question for CAI owners with exhaust systems. How laud is it when you drive. I am going to be getting both put in 2 weeks. I ask because I have been in some friends pick up trucks with CAI's and it is so laud while driving almost anoying. thanks

·
Registered
577 Posts
The sound is not even noticeable at highway cruising speeds ... nearly like stock. At moderate acceleration, and mid-throttle situations, the sound gets louder and really throaty. At WOT, yeah, it's pretty damn loud. If you are looking at cai and exhaust, though, I believe that is one of the desired effects = sounding like you have a V8 under the hood.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I only have a cold air intake at the moment (don't know why we call them that, they are not true cold air intakes...) anyway as many others have said so far, the CAI does add more sound to the engine. The OEM intake has a resonation chamber that really quiets the engine down. With an aftermarket system there is no "muffler" effect so you really hear a deep throaty growl at RPM's approaching 3000, then it roars when you drop the hammer. Very noticeable in the cabin, the first time you hear it you will smile I guarantee it! For those required quite times, just drive normal and it sounds no different than stock (Keep the RPM’s under 2500).

·
Registered
396 Posts
donutz said:
question for CAI owners with exhaust systems. How laud is it when you drive. I am going to be getting both put in 2 weeks. I ask because I have been in some friends pick up trucks with CAI's and it is so laud while driving almost anoying. thanks
Sounds great with the K&N CAI. I don't think it's objectionable in any way. Sure it's louder, but not in a bad way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts