Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a glasspack from summit cause my stock muffler had a hole punched in it. Has anyone done this? does it sound good? let me know please.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
I ordered a glasspack from summit cause my stock muffler had a hole punched in it. Has anyone done this? does it sound good? let me know please.
If you have already ordered it, it's kinda' late to be asking don't you think ? I would think a glasspack will be rather loud.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've not heard it or seen it in searches.

I do think it would be quite loud. Depends on preference, though. I think it would be louder than I prefer.

I have a Flowmaster Super 50. Nice "presence" of volume, but not too loud for my tastes.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
A glass pack is usually just a straight perforated pipe with fiberglass wrapped around it, it allows some expansion and noise absorption, but its almost more of a resonator than a muffler, it barely does anything to reduce the noise level.

The Catalytic Converters do a lot to muffle the sound of the exhaust, but still a glass pack is going to be loud, NOT as loud as 60's/70's muscle cars that had straight pipes all the way through. But perhaps loud enough to annoy neighbors and get you ticket from cops in some areas.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all the input. Got it yesterday and installed it today. sounds pretty good. somewhat noticeable sound inside. will post video soon. I fired it up dumping at the cats and it had a pretty rough sound. put the glasspack on and it cleaned it up alot but with the same sound

·
Registered
167 Posts
Glad you like it! Look forward to the video. The Commander needs a bit more presence of sound so it doesn't come across as another "grocery getter".

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
....I fired it up dumping at the cats and it had a pretty rough sound. put the glasspack on and it cleaned it up alot but with the same sound
So are you saying, the volume/level of the sound is about the same as open pipes after the Cat's, but with the Glass Packs its changed the tone of the exhaust?

Goes along with my speculation, but things like exhaust and mufflers vary greatly amongst different engines and cars.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Video should be up today. Taking it on a 2 hr highway trip today. gonna get footage of outside revs inside revs and some cruising sound. was driving last night cruising at 40 and it wasnt noticeable inside. could easily hear everyone and the radio.... Should be interesting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well after 9 months its not to bad. shes been on a few 10+ hr road trips and we could all have a conversation and we didnt have to shout...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well its been a while since ive been on here. computer crashed and just got it back. have a short video of it that is uploading right now. will link when its up

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am currently out of town without the jeep. when i get back i will film a few drive by's and downshifts, and the sound from all rpm ranges. it really screams in the higher rpms. yet she still cruises and is reasonable. cant be heard with the radio on 12 unless your really getting on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts