Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 07" XK is white with black side moldings, roof rails, and rear moldings, does anyone think it would be possible to paint these moldings with some sort of glossy clear coat to make them glossy looking like the paint?

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
My 07" XK is white with black side moldings, roof rails, and rear moldings, does anyone think it would be possible to paint these moldings with some sort of glossy clear coat to make them glossy looking like the paint?
The side and rear moldings are plastic, and the roof rails are metal. If you prepared the surfaces correctly, I believe you could get a high gloss clear coat to adhere to them. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
34 Posts

I think painting them white would look better. It is possible to paint the plastic trim. You would need to prime them first with an adhesion promoter based primer then paint and clear. I own a white limited and I painted the black plastic rocker molding to a gloss white to match the rest of the white on my Commander. It turned out great.

Marc

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I think painting them white would look better. It is possible to paint the plastic trim. You would need to prime them first with an adhesion promoter based primer then paint and clear. I own a white limited and I painted the black plastic rocker molding to a gloss white to match the rest of the white on my Commander. It turned out great.

Marc

I would definitely go this route^^^^^^^

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I'd like to see what they would look like painted white on a white XK.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My original thought was to remove mine until I learned that there are holes in the doors where they mount. I also whited out the black trim that goes around the hitch in the back bumper.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
My original thought was to remove mine until I learned that there are holes in the doors where they mount. I also whited out the black trim that goes round the hitch in the back bumper.

pics???? :ugh2:

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
He was asking for suggestions. Of course he isnt going to have any pics yet.

·
Registered
77 Posts
i was thinking of color matching the plastic trim myself, but honestly it's better the way it is. the door trim keeps cars parked beside you from denting and scratching your rig when they open their doors, the plastic on the mirrors keeps them from getting scratched when they get bumped into stuff (a common problem when your wife is driving and not paying attention, lol), and if you actually use your roof rails then you will scratch them if they're painted. the plastic holds up way better than paint. now if i could only coat the rest of my rig to match that plastic lol

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'll try to get some picks this weekend. My Commander was a salvage that was involved in a fire. I just got it back today from the dealership. They had it for almost 2 weeks tracing down from electrical issues with the drivetrain. My wife hopped in and headed down the road. If she parks it at all I will snap some pics. I still need to mount the trim around the hitch that I painted white. It requires some special fastners that I need to get from the dealer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Here are some pics that I promised.

Lastly her is the rear bumper trim that I painted. I need special clips before I can install it.

Since I have pics it must mean that happen......

Marc

1 - 12 of 12 Posts