Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
08 commander limited 5.7 quadtrac 2
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car never used to go into 4low when I first got it. I would just get the service 4wd system message when I pulled the t handle.
Took it to the dealer for the flash recall heard that supposedly fixs the issue.
It made it worst.
Now the car will randomly shift into and out of 4low when driving and stopped or sitting overnight. The odd thing is, it never shows on the dash when it is engaged that it is in 4low but you can hear it engage and feel the tires skipping and popping on turns.
I can sometimes clear the codes using jscan and it'll disengage once I turn the key back off after clearing. Sometimes it doesn't clear the codes and turn it off.
Seems to happen more often then not when it rains and the car gets wet.
Dealer wants money to "diagnose" the problem before they take responsibility for it being their **** up. Any help is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,881 Posts
@Kiliker30
Welcome to the forum. Please read this and fill in some of your details and make a signature with your Commander details. (year, model trim, engine, 4wd system, etc.) It is nice for us know what your Commander has in it so we can better help you.

NEW MEMBER REQUIRED READING!!! Important New Member information, Forum requirements & Forum rules. | Jeep Commander Forum

To make a Signature click here - Signature - How to make or modify

To get the list of everything built into your Commander when built at the factory - have your VIN number (case sensitive) and go here Chrysler Build sheet - Equipment Listing Not necessarily for your signature but so you know what you have.

Also post an introduction in the "New Member" section. New Member Section

You can download a free Owner's Manual here--->Owner's Manual

Reactions: Kiliker30

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
An update to the issues I'm having with this as of last night.

Driving down the block from my house the car put itself into neutral while the shifter was still in the drive position. I come to a stop and try to shift the gears and all I hear is this horrible gringing noises coming from under the car. I slap it into park put the ebrake up.
Turn the car off and turn it back on and the problem is fixed I am able to drive again.
Is this a computer issue you think or is my transfer case the blame? I'm gonna take it to a private mechanic who deals with this sort of stuff because the truck is under warrenty but if anyone has had any experience with the cause of this I'd rather help pinpoint the issue so he doesn't need to keep my car any longer than it needs to be. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
Dallas TX
449 Posts
really difficult to tell whats going on. is the shifter lndicator on the instrument cluster correct with the shifter position? There is a circuit board in the shifter that is known to need cleaning once in a while. from there I'd follow the cable from the shifter down to the transmission and make sure its all secure. lastly the PCM TCM all in one computer... may need an updated unit there

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
really difficult to tell whats going on. is the shifter lndicator on the instrument cluster correct with the shifter position? There is a circuit board in the shifter that is known to need cleaning once in a while. from there I'd follow the cable from the shifter down to the transmission and make sure its all secure. lastly the PCM TCM all in one computer... may need an updated unit there
Yeah im questioning whether that issue is even related to my 4low issue.
I just got under the car pulled the plug off the actuator motor (which was like pulling candy from a baby mind you) I had to pry it off using screwdrivers and wd40 it was pretty much rusted on.
Sprayed it with electronic cleaner let it sit and plugged it in. Cleared all the codes using my jscan app and restarted the car, im able to go into 4low now using the t-handle.
How long it'll stay like this is anyone's guess but I'll update if the issue comes back but for now that seemed to fix it.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,881 Posts
Kiliker - very good. Let us know how it goes in the next few weeks or months.

Reactions: Kiliker30

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So one day later and the issue has returned. I will be taking it back to the dealer as the issue seems to be either with their software they flashed or with the motor itself.
It's covered under a warranty I have so I'll see what they say in a few weeks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts