Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
08 commander limited 5.7 quadtrac 2
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car never used to go into 4low when I first got it. I would just get the service 4wd system message when I pulled the t handle.
Took it to the dealer for the flash recall heard that supposedly fixs the issue.
It made it worst.
Now the car will randomly shift into and out of 4low when driving and stopped or sitting overnight. The odd thing is, it never shows on the dash when it is engaged that it is in 4low but you can hear it engage and feel the tires skipping and popping on turns.
I can sometimes clear the codes using jscan and it'll disengage once I turn the key back off after clearing. Sometimes it doesn't clear the codes and turn it off.
Seems to happen more often then not when it rains and the car gets wet.
Dealer wants money to "diagnose" the problem before they take responsibility for it being their **** up. Any help is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
2,008 Posts
@Kiliker30
Welcome to the forum. Please read this and fill in some of your details and make a signature with your Commander details. (year, model trim, engine, 4wd system, etc.) It is nice for us know what your Commander has in it so we can better help you.

NEW MEMBER REQUIRED READING!!! Important New Member information, Forum requirements & Forum rules. | Jeep Commander Forum

To make a Signature click here - Signature - How to make or modify

To get the list of everything built into your Commander when built at the factory - have your VIN number (case sensitive) and go here Chrysler Build sheet - Equipment Listing Not necessarily for your signature but so you know what you have.

Also post an introduction in the "New Member" section. New Member Section

You can download a free Owner's Manual here--->Owner's Manual

Reactions: Kiliker30

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
An update to the issues I'm having with this as of last night.

Driving down the block from my house the car put itself into neutral while the shifter was still in the drive position. I come to a stop and try to shift the gears and all I hear is this horrible gringing noises coming from under the car. I slap it into park put the ebrake up.
Turn the car off and turn it back on and the problem is fixed I am able to drive again.
Is this a computer issue you think or is my transfer case the blame? I'm gonna take it to a private mechanic who deals with this sort of stuff because the truck is under warrenty but if anyone has had any experience with the cause of this I'd rather help pinpoint the issue so he doesn't need to keep my car any longer than it needs to be. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
Dallas TX
576 Posts
really difficult to tell whats going on. is the shifter lndicator on the instrument cluster correct with the shifter position? There is a circuit board in the shifter that is known to need cleaning once in a while. from there I'd follow the cable from the shifter down to the transmission and make sure its all secure. lastly the PCM TCM all in one computer... may need an updated unit there

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
really difficult to tell whats going on. is the shifter lndicator on the instrument cluster correct with the shifter position? There is a circuit board in the shifter that is known to need cleaning once in a while. from there I'd follow the cable from the shifter down to the transmission and make sure its all secure. lastly the PCM TCM all in one computer... may need an updated unit there
Yeah im questioning whether that issue is even related to my 4low issue.
I just got under the car pulled the plug off the actuator motor (which was like pulling candy from a baby mind you) I had to pry it off using screwdrivers and wd40 it was pretty much rusted on.
Sprayed it with electronic cleaner let it sit and plugged it in. Cleared all the codes using my jscan app and restarted the car, im able to go into 4low now using the t-handle.
How long it'll stay like this is anyone's guess but I'll update if the issue comes back but for now that seemed to fix it.

Reactions: Stircrayzy

·
Super Moderator
2,008 Posts
Kiliker - very good. Let us know how it goes in the next few weeks or months.

Reactions: Kiliker30

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So one day later and the issue has returned. I will be taking it back to the dealer as the issue seems to be either with their software they flashed or with the motor itself.
It's covered under a warranty I have so I'll see what they say in a few weeks.

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
So one day later and the issue has returned. I will be taking it back to the dealer as the issue seems to be either with their software they flashed or with the motor itself.
It's covered under a warranty I have so I'll see what they say in a few weeks.
@Kiliker30 ;

There are 2 actuator motors on the transfer case an upper & a lower;

The lower one is easy to get to - and is probably the one you serviced;

The upper one is quite a bit more difficult to reach, so I'm told.

Did you ever have the P73 campaign completed - which involves having the Final Drive Control Module re-flashed/re-programmed?

I've been told in the past, by reputable forum members that I trust, that on some occasions, the FDCM re-flash has to be done 3 times consecutively, for the re-flash to take properly;

If you haven't done so already, I'd highly recommend that you plug your VIN in below and see if you have any open recalls or campaigns pertaining to your Commander;

Official Mopar Site | Service, Parts, Accessories & More

The N23 safety recall in particular (which also involves reprogramming the FDCM), sounds a lot like what you have going on;

I've attached the N23 recall notice if you want to give it a read;

Here is a quick summary of the problem;

The problem is... The Final Drive Controller Module (FDCM) software on your vehicle (VIN: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) may unintentionally cause the transfer case to shift into the neutral position without input from the driver. This condition could allow the vehicle to roll away inadvertently while the vehicle is parked and cause a crash without warning.

Also keep in mind, there is also the very real possibility, that one of the actuator motors on your transfer case is bad and could need to be replaced & not just cleaned.

These actuator motors are known to fail, I had my lower actuator motor replaced, probably 4 or 5 years ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Kiliker30 ;

There are 2 actuator motors on the transfer case an upper & a lower;

The lower one is easy to get to - and is probably the one you serviced;

The upper one is quite a bit more difficult to reach, so I'm told.

Did you ever have the P73 campaign completed - which involves having the Final Drive Control Module re-flashed/re-programmed?

I've been told in the past, by reputable forum members that I trust, that on some occasions, the FDCM re-flash has to be done 3 times consecutively, for the re-flash to take properly;

If you haven't done so already, I'd highly recommend that you plug your VIN in below and see if you have any open recalls or campaigns pertaining to your Commander;

Official Mopar Site | Service, Parts, Accessories & More

The N23 safety recall in particular (which also involves reprogramming the FDCM), sounds a lot like what you have going on;

I've attached the N23 recall notice if you want to give it a read;

Here is a quick summary of the problem;

The problem is... The Final Drive Controller Module (FDCM) software on your vehicle (VIN: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) may unintentionally cause the transfer case to shift into the neutral position without input from the driver. This condition could allow the vehicle to roll away inadvertently while the vehicle is parked and cause a crash without warning.

Also keep in mind, there is also the very real possibility, that one of the actuator motors on your transfer case is bad and could need to be replaced & not just cleaned.

These actuator motors are known to fail, I had my lower actuator motor replaced, probably 4 or 5 years ago.
I had this done last year around november..
As soon as I got it back the service 4wd system light stayed on and wouldn't go away and the car started making loud popping noises when full turn like it was in 4low but nothing showed on the dash it was in 4low which i found odd. I explained all of this to the dealer and took it back in, they explained it was done properly and that it has to be an issue that has nothing to do with anything they did...rolls eyes.
Reluctantly they said they would flash it again just to be sure.
Not surprisingly I got the car back in the same condition I gave it to them in. They then said, well for 175 bucks we can look at it again and diagnose the issue.
So I drove it home and just deal with it since.
It's messing **** up on my front end though and my one driver side front tire is balding on the edge to the point its gonna expose wire so I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and take it back in and see if they can reflash and then diagnose the issue again. I will bring what you mentioned to their attention about doing it 3 times consecutively though, maybe it'll work maybe not. I'm sure at this point the damn things probably broke from driving it like that for months. I guess I'll find out in a few weeks and I'll update here with what they find.

Reactions: Big Blue

·
Super Moderator
2,008 Posts
I wonder if the transfer case can be locked in 4WD high all the time? I have only used 4 Low a couple times and think they were to see if the 4 Lo worked, not to actually use the 4 Lo to drive anywhere.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wonder if the transfer case can be locked in 4WD high all the time? I have only used 4 Low a couple times and think they were to see if the 4 Lo worked, not to actually use the 4 Lo to drive anywhere.
I was honestly just thinking this, I never use it I live in New York at this point I'd rather just permanently disable it if it meant the tire skipping and popping noise would stop lol

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
Commanders that are 4WD capable are in 4-HIGH all the time, unless placed into 4-LOW.

4-HIGH is their default mode of operation.

So the answer to your question (If I understand it correctly) is yes, thats how 4WD Commanders are designed to operate.

4-HIGH all the time, unless placed into 4-LOW.

If you lose the ability to shift into 4-LOW, its usually the result of one of 3 things;

A final drive control module that needs to be reprogrammed, an actuator motor that has failed, or, a transfer case that has failed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Commanders that are 4WD capable are in 4-HIGH all the time, unless placed into 4-LOW.

4-HIGH is their default mode of operation.

So the answer to your question (If I understand it correctly) is yes, thats how 4WD Commanders are designed to operate.

4-HIGH all the time, unless placed into 4-LOW.

If you lose the ability to shift into 4-LOW, its usually the result of one of 3 things;

A final drive control module that needs to be reprogrammed, an actuator motor that has failed, or, a transfer case that has failed.
Idk which one mine is to be honest lol.
If I clear all the codes using jscan app it'll clear all the transfer case fault codes and 50/50 chance it won't come back on right away and I'm able to actually use the 4low for a little while. I can turn it on and off properly and can hear it engaging with no issue. Which leaves me to believe it's not the motor and more of a computer or wire issue. Esp cause the fact it'll just randomly engage while I'm driving and not even show on the dash its engaged except chime the service 4wd system message and you can hear it pop and motor start activating under the car. It's freaky got a mind of its own.

·
Super Moderator
2,008 Posts
I know 4WD high is the default operation, but if you have one that is popping into 4 low for some reason I would like to disable 4 low or lock it into 4 Hi.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@Kiliker30 ;

Plug in your VIN below and you'll know exactly what you have;

FCA RAM
Sorry I should've been more specific.
I meant I don't know what one mine is, as in what is causing my issue out of the things you described could be the cause.
I have a QT2 full time 4wd hi with 4low optional.

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
I know 4WD high is the default operation, but if you have one that is popping into 4 low for some reason I would like to disable 4 low or lock it into 4 Hi.
I understand, but, I don't know if that's possible.

You could try disconnecting the 2 transfer case actuator motors, that could, in theory, work.

But, that would probably generate some DTC's in the EVIC.

·
Super Moderator
2,008 Posts
Yea - the "service 4 wheel drive" would be permanent !

1 - 20 of 25 Posts