Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear All:

1st, thank you for this forum and valuable info here. If this thread is in wrong location, I trust the moderator wil delete or move. Sorry i am new to the FORUM format.

2nd, Like the title states we are one week from owning a 2009 XK 5.7 limited 4X4. Living in the NYC region, i am wondering what the commander is roughly going for. We were given a price of $38,000 for a $42,500 MSRP vehicle on the lot.

Is this too much? or is this the going price?

3rd, we make 2-3 cross country trips per year, has anyone taken the XK on trips longer than 3,000 miles. Besides broken windshields : ) how did the XK perform? MPH? etc...

Thank you in advance:bowdown:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I couldn't bring myself to buy a new one. I would have lost 20k in 2 years....who needs to do that?

My Jeep Certified 2007 Hemi Limited with 32k miles cost me 23k out the door.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
There are MANY deals out there, I would certainly shop around for the best one.

I took mine on a 1,500 mile trip once with no problems, I will be heading out in a few weeks for a 6,000 road trip and I do not expect it to be any different.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I just had a quick look on autotrader.com, and you can get a 2008 Limited with ~ 5,000 miles for < $29,000 in the NYC area. You just may have to take a 50 mile trip to get it. In my opinion, a 50 mile drive to pick up a Commander with 5,000 miles on the ticker is worth saving $10,000.

:banana_hitit:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Make the 50 mile drive... save the cash... 5000 miles will still have that new to you car smell.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I couldn't bring myself to buy a new one. I would have lost 20k in 2 years....who needs to do that?

My Jeep Certified 2007 Hemi Limited with 32k miles cost me 23k out the door.
Thanks MtnGrge:

How i look at it at this point is ANY vehicle that we purchase will be worth only 20% of the value. The o% APR they are offering is VERY appealing as well as the LIFETIME warranty! Lifetime warranty is important to us cuz we plan to KEEP this XK well after the loan is paid off. used certified vehicle isnt available for lifetime warranty. you make sense but from where i stand i need to dump my 2007 ford explorer which is fallin apart. thanks

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
As far as long trips go - I purchased my 06 XK in Colorado Springs. Twice a year (winter and summer) we would drive up to Washington State to visit family. We took a summer vacation to Disneyland and the Grand Canyon in a big circle from Colorado Springs. Then we moved to Georgia and drove it there. Then we moved from Georgia to Montana and drove it here. Last summer we went to the coast of Washington, down to Oregon and back to Montana. Over the extended driving, we've had no issues to speak of. I have a total of three chips in the windshield (all from driving in Montana).

On the Interstate, I keep it at about 67.3 mph. I bring it up to about 73, set the cruise and then "decel" slowly until it changes gear and the RPMs drop to 1700 or so. On the Interstate I get about 15mpg with the roof-rack and additional weight of bumpers, rails, wife, five kids and luggage on top.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just had a quick look on autotrader.com, and you can get a 2008 Limited with ~ 5,000 miles for < $29,000 in the NYC area. You just may have to take a 50 mile trip to get it. In my opinion, a 50 mile drive to pick up a Commander with 5,000 miles on the ticker is worth saving $10,000.

:banana_hitit:

indeed true... i would love to save money.... but now i am lookin to dump a POS 07 explorer thats fallin apart (will take a loss on a trade in too) for a 0%APR and lifetime drivetrain warranty. Our Explorer was a used certified and its not the same as BRAND new... no demo model no previous owners... is the way i am goin with this Commander. Hoping to keep it til i die : ) with the lifetime warranty

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On the Interstate, I keep it at about 67.3 mph. I bring it up to about 73, set the cruise and then "decel" slowly until it changes gear and the RPMs drop to 1700 or so. On the Interstate I get about 15mpg with the roof-rack and additional weight of bumpers, rails, wife, five kids and luggage on top.
Nice, you guys drive/get around alot too. thanks for the feed back. our annual trips are NY-Cali and back across I80 and or NY-FLA-TX-Cali-NY

have you ever towed anything?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Used Certified doesnt offer Drivetrain lifetime warranty... i want to take advantage of it as the Commander will be a KEEPER... hopefully : )

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Nice, you guys drive/get around alot too. thanks for the feed back. our annual trips are NY-Cali and back across I80 and or NY-FLA-TX-Cali-NY

have you ever towed anything?
We towed our Taurus from Colorado to Georgia. No issues except that gas mileage sucked a bit more. Handled fine, stopped fine, went fine. We're military, so we do have a tendency to get around. In the past 7 years, I haven't had a New Years Day in the same place twice in a row! =)

·
Registered
136 Posts
We just finished a 4800 mile trip to Texas via I-80. We averaged 70 mph with 6 total passengers and a Thule Ascent on top. We earned 18 mpg. Now on the way back we had a strong headwind and the return trip was an uphill on I-80 with some Rt 66 diverts. We also did some fire road driving as well as some off road driving from the Bristle Cone to Bishop, CA. (HDC was a godsend and operated flawlessly!). Finally we returned home via Tioga pass. I am not sure what the avg MPH would be but we ended up with 16 mpg on the return. What did I like most about the Hemi powertrain? Passing power and decent shifting, what an improvement over my 3.7 Libby.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We towed our Taurus from Colorado to Georgia. No issues except that gas mileage sucked a bit more. Handled fine, stopped fine, went fine. We're military, so we do have a tendency to get around. In the past 7 years, I haven't had a New Years Day in the same place twice in a row! =)

Hehehehe yup the Service will do that to you! I served a lifetime ago... and still traveling all over this globe ever since. Thanks for the INFO and MOST of all:

Thanks for serving this Country Brother!

!!!REMEMBER THE TROOPS!!!

·
2,248 Posts
There are a few others on this site that wander around a bit also. I have not traveled as much in the last few years but I am getting ready to get back on the road some more. Some of us tow our Commanders around also.

Welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I heard it str8 from President Obama's mouth:

All warranties will be covered should any auto manufacturer go bust.

thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lifetime warranty is on the powertrain only, right? Even that is only good if Chrysler is still around.
Yeah powertrain/drivetrain only... i am happy with that.

I heard it str8 from President Obama's mouth:

All warranties will be covered should any American auto manufacturer go bust.

thanks

1 - 20 of 83 Posts