Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
GoodYear Silent Armor

Hi everyone I love this forum, always al lot of help! So I have read a lot about this tire and I think I have narrowed it down to getting this tire soon. I have owned the jeep 2 years and have waited to do anything to it. When I get the new tires I plan on lifting it, I have already purchased the RC 2" lift, I will not be running wheel spacers for now, maybe next summer I will purchase some. My main question is I have narrowed it down to getting a 255/75/17. Will this be a good choice on size? Do I need spacers right away, or should I be ok? Or should I run a different size? I have read so many threads my head is spinning. Please help and sorry if this is somewhere else I have searched but I am only trying to find out about the silent armor, not all of the other options out there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry about the title now I look dumb. Goodyear silent armor. I posted it before checking it!

·
Super Moderator
15,101 Posts
Sorry about the title now I look dumb. Goodyear silent armor. I posted it before checking it!
That's ok. I think we all knew what you meant.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
You might be very close to the upper control arm ball joint bolt with that size. I do know that you would be fine with a 255/70r17 though without wheel spacers.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You will definitely the tire with the UCA bolt with 255/75, with any brand tire. The biggest tires you can put with no spacers are 255/70 if you want added height, or 265/65 if you want added width.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply's, I guess I'll have to get the wheel spacers now then to run that size tire. Will a 1" spacer work or should I just go with the 1.5"? Does anyone have a pic if this setup 2" lift silent armors and the wheel spacers? Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Thanks for the reply's, I guess I'll have to get the wheel spacers now then to run that size tire. Will a 1" spacer work or should I just go with the 1.5"? Does anyone have a pic if this setup 2" lift silent armors and the wheel spacers? Thanks guys!
I ran 1.25 inch Spidertrax wheel spacer listed for a 1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee without any issues for several years. Both vehicles share the same bolt pattern. As far as the 1 inch spacers, I believe that you would need to grind down the end of the studs on the wheel bearing/hub assembly because they are a a hair longer then 1 inch. Check out member hoaxci5. He has the Old Man Emu lift running (If I recall correctly) 255/75R17 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor's and 1.5 inch wheel spacers.

·
Registered
117 Posts
255/75 will fit without hitting the uca bolt, but on my jeep it rubbed on the inner frame at full lock so I got spacers, then with the spacers I had to do the pinch weld. This was all before going to OME, so I was running a RRO spacer lift.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
255/75 will fit without hitting the uca bolt, but on my jeep it rubbed on the inner frame at full lock so I got spacers, then with the spacers I had to do the pinch weld. This was all before going to OME, so I was running a RRO spacer lift.
So you are running 255/75's?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
This might be a bit late but ...

I have 255/75/17 GY Silent Armor. I have a 2" lift and put on the 1.5 inch Spyder Trax wheel spacers. But I think the 1.25 would have worked. I did the wheel pinch clearancing and cut the plastic wheel liner. I wish I would have not cut them but rather used heat to bend them back out of the way.

Here's a pic. There are more on my album on my profile page. I posted a thread about the upgrade a couple of years ago. A search should locate it.

P.S. You'll need a spare of the same size. I didn't do the hitch mod so I keep my spare either in the back or mounted on my roof rack. Have a thread about my roof rack too.

These have been great tires btw. And the looks are great.

P.P.S. Here's a link to pinch weld mod done right. http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showthread.php?1263-Matt-s-Pinch-Weld-quot-How-To-quot&highlight=pinch+weld

1 - 11 of 11 Posts