Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for those of you that have had your commander for last winter-how did the Fortura tires work? I live in the adirondacks, purchased my commander in early April and didnt use it for winter (mud and dirt, yes, snow, no). Was looking at the tires last night and was wondering whether I needed winter tires for it. Live on a dirt road and actually need the 4wd to get out of my driveway and get to work. Thanks

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
The Forteras are a respectable tire but are biased toward comfort and low-noise. I switched to Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor tires. These are a fairly quiet tire and are supposed to have great traction on and off road on dry, wet, and snow covered surfaces. I can't tell you for sure because I haven't driven in the snow with them yet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I Live In Buffalo Ny "snow Capital Of The World" :D Drove In The Big Storm We Had Here With My Goodyears And It Plowed Right Down The Road With No Problems.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
JEEPPARTSMAN said:
I Live In Buffalo Ny "snow Capital Of The World" :D Drove In The Big Storm We Had Here With My Goodyears And It Plowed Right Down The Road With No Problems.
I thought Syracuse was the snowiest city in NY.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
JEEPPARTSMAN said:
Syracuse May Get A Lot Over The Season We Get It All At Once.and We Love It.
Really? My brother went to college in Buffalo, and he claims that you guys get lake-effect snow throughout the winter, but don't get many big blizzards. I have a cabin just outside of Syracuse, and although lake-effect snow doesn't happen there, it sure does snow a lot.

Maybe I'll have to look up the snowfall numbers and see how they compare.

·
Registered
22 Posts
WE JUST HAD A 3 FOOT SNOW STORM ON OCT. 11. SYRACUSE KNOWTHING.PEOPLE AROUND HERE CALLED IT A BLIZZARD. JUST BECAUSE SYRACUSE GET SNOW ALL WINTER LONG TRY AND GET 8 FT IN 24hr. DEC 23 2001.JUST BECAUSE ITS NOT CALL A BLIZZARD AROUND THE COUNTRY DOSEN'T MEAN IT'S NOT KNOW."BUFFALO SNOW CAPITAL OF THE WORLD."

·
Registered
240 Posts
I did not have my Jeep last winter but I did have an expedition with goodyear all season tires on it. I don't remember exactly what model they were but they werevery similar to what's on the new Commander. I never had any trouble in the snow or ice at all. Quite honestly, I don't think that any tire you may choose will slow you down. The big problem is stopping in the snow and ice. I know this is one of those subjects that everybody has a different opinion on, I just thought I would throw mine out there. I sure wouldn't get rid of a good set of tires just to switch models. If the tires were worn out and needed replaced then I could see going with whatever tire you personally prefer. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts