Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did an extensive search on the forum and didn't see much discussion on these. TireRack is having a sale on the 265/70/17's Goodyear AT/S and Goodyear GSA. I figure they will most likely need some cutting but I think saving the extra $100 plus is worth it. I was wondering what your thoughts were, it looks like the AT/S are the better way to go.

TireRack is in my town, and I don't know if I will find a better buy for $105. I see people are moving to the 255/70/17's but again, for the cost this just seems like a better buy. Notes on me: Live in Northern Indiana with frequent of snow and rain, 2.25" Rocky road lift with spidertrax spacers

I welcome your thoughts, particularly on quality.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I did an extensive search on the forum and didn't see much discussion on these.
TireRack is having a sale on the 265/70/17's. I figure they will most likely need some cutting but I think saving the extra $100 plus is worth it. I was wondering what your thoughts were, it looks like the AT/S are the better way to go.

TireRack is in my town, and I don't know if I will find a better buy for $105. I see people are moving to the 255/70/17's but again, for the cost this just seems like a better buy. Notes on me: Live in Northern Indiana with frequent of snow and rain, 2.25" Rocky road lift with spidertrax spacers

I welcome your thoughts, particularly on quality.
That does seem like a really good price. That is the same size (265/70/17) I'm looking at to run with a 2 inch lift and same spacers. I would buy from Tire Rack if I lived close to them. I've been considering the GY Wrangler Silent Armor. From what I hear they might be a better tire but they are also about $70 more per tire than the AT/S. That's a big price difference. So you might want to go with the AT/S. Others may have more information or experience with quality of the AT/S.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Those should work fine with a 2" lift and spacers, I am running the 255/75/17' and only had to trip the front which I ended up removing since I installed the Get Lost 4X4 bumper.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you say
only had to trip the front which I ended up removing since I installed the Get Lost 4X4 bumper.
were you referring to cutting the bumper and pinch welds? Also, were you saying the 265/70/17's should work fine?

Thanks! I need to check out some new pics of your XK with the new get lost bumper too. I have been kinda inactive on here the last couple months and have some catching up to do!

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Look at the pictures on any of the XKs with the new bumper, we trimmed off the front side of the plastic wheel well, I did not have to do anything with the metal anywhere.

Click the link to my garage to see the new bumper on mine.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Look at the pictures on any of the XKs with the new bumper, we trimmed off the front side of the plastic wheel well, I did not have to do anything with the metal anywhere.

Click the link to my garage to see the new bumper on mine.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I had the AT/S on my 97 Grand Cherokee and I thought it was a great tire. That being said, it's a dated technology and IMHO I think that the Wrangler Silent Armors would be a better choice. Just my thoughts....

·
Registered
807 Posts
I had the AT/S on my 97 Grand Cherokee and I thought it was a great tire. That being said, it's a dated technology and IMHO I think that the Wrangler Silent Armors would be a better choice. Just my thoughts....
I think would echo that. I think it was probably a good tire when it came out but the wrangler silent armors are a better over all tire. I have the AT/S on a wrangler and they do ok, but nothing like the Silent armors on my commander.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have no doubt that the Silent Armor are a better tire, but right now I can't justify the extra $60 - $75 a tire, if the AT/S is indeed a good tire. Now, if you said the AT/S was junk I would think otherwise.

If all things go well with my new job, I would like to bump up to the 4" Superlift in a year or two so I would most likely go with a new set of tires then too. But again, if you think it is a good tire for $105 I may just go with this for now. The customer reviews seem good (cant say that for the GSA)

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WOW! I am so glad you all mentioned the Silent Armors because it delayed my impulse buy on the AS/T's!!! Browsing the forum I decided to check out the discount tire section and saw this, Get 30% Off Your Discount Tire Direct Purchase. At first I thought, too good to be true, right? After the long process of signing up (I already had an Live.com account and lost my password), making the correct clicks, I found 4 Goodyear Silent Armor 255/75/17's with free shipping for $592.00. You are probably thinking "well that's not that good of deal".

I got $177.60 CASH BACK! So that puts me at under $105 a tire, shipped, no tax!!! They have 14 sets available still, as of 12/12/08 and I reccomend looking into this. Yes there will be wheel well modifications, but if this tires are as nice as you all say they are I think it is worth it!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
WOW! I am so glad you all mentioned the Silent Armors because it delayed my impulse buy on the AS/T's!!! Browsing the forum I decided to check out the discount tire section and saw this, Get 30% Off Your Discount Tire Direct Purchase. At first I thought, too good to be true, right? After the long process of signing up (I already had an Live.com account and lost my password), making the correct clicks, I found 4 Goodyear Silent Armor 255/75/17's with free shipping for $592.00. You are probably thinking "well that's not that good of deal".

I got $177.60 CASH BACK! So that puts me at under $105 a tire, shipped, no tax!!! They have 14 sets available still, as of 12/12/08 and I reccomend looking into this. Yes there will be wheel well modifications, but if this tires are as nice as you all say they are I think it is worth it!
How do you receive the $177.60 cash back? It sounds like it is not an immediate discount but you get a check later. Is that the case? Who issues the check? My wife had a bad experience with a Cashback offer on a sewing machine in which she never received it.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
You will not regret getting the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors. I know that I don't.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Now that I have mine balanced out properly, I don't either! Good save on the rebate check through the MSN Cash Back (?) program too.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How do you receive the $177.60 cash back? It sounds like it is not an immediate discount but you get a check later. Is that the case? Who issues the check? My wife had a bad experience with a Cashback offer on a sewing machine in which she never received it.
I was very leery about this and did a great deal of research before committing to buy. After following all steps outlined in the actual Microsoft Live eBay buying terms and setting up my account, I was still a little cautious. Nevertheless, this is a legitimate good deal. The cash back options have PayPal, check, and bank account as options, but to be safe and ensure the refund I had it deposit to my PayPal, which I can now either use my PayPal debit or wire it into my checking account. This is not a rip off like Amazon Prime, but I do not know if you receive any support from your local Discount Tire (I am interested in purchasing the road hazard plan) which might be Okay since they will not do the install on spacers anyway.

It took about an hour for everything to process, but the $177.77 is already in my Microsoft LiveSearch Cashback Account! It is still pending, which is legitimate for return reasons and considering that I just paid for it. I may utilize this program a little more for my holiday shopping! Much better than rebates, I am still waiting for my free iPod from when I bought my MacBook Pro from Apple last year:2232censored:!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I was very leery about this and did a great deal of research before committing to buy. After following all steps outlined in the actual Microsoft Live eBay buying terms and setting up my account, I was still a little cautious. Nevertheless, this is a legitimate good deal. The cash back options have PayPal, check, and bank account as options, but to be safe and ensure the refund I had it deposit to my PayPal, which I can now either use my PayPal debit or wire it into my checking account. This is not a rip off like Amazon Prime, but I do not know if you receive any support from your local Discount Tire (I am interested in purchasing the road hazard plan) which might be Okay since they will not do the install on spacers anyway.

It took about an hour for everything to process, but the $177.77 is already in my Microsoft LiveSearch Cashback Account! It is still pending, which is legitimate for return reasons and considering that I just paid for it. I may utilize this program a little more for my holiday shopping! Much better than rebates, I am still waiting for my free iPod from when I bought my MacBook Pro from Apple last year:2232censored:!
OK, thanks. I justs wasn't sure if it was legit. Who are you going to use dismount the old tires and put your new ones on...and balance etc.?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts

Thanks for trail blazing on this LuckyAx2! I just ordered the same as you and I have the cashback pending in my account too. Can't wait to get everything installed (2 inch Rusty's lift, 1.5inch Spidertrax wheel spacers and these 32" tires) and hit the trails.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Per the install questions: A buddy of mine is a mechanic at a local mom and pop shop and we are just going to do the switch on a weekend, where he will mount and balance the tires as well as the TPMS switch. While it is on the lift I am going to go ahead and hammer down the pinch welds just incase.
I can't wait to get the new tires either, it should feel like a new Jeep. You definitely will experience this when you get your lift on too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts