Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is issue #4. Ive had this jeep (Commander, 2006, 4.7, V8, 87000miles) for about 5 months now (30 day warranty is up). I have had a variety of issues that have been resolved up to this point.

-lights on dash
-Junk water pump/coolant leak
-Rear rotor trashed

Last problem was 4 days ago. Grinding on the rear "RIGHT" rotor. Had both rear rotors and pads replaced by my mechanic and the grinding on the "RIGHT" wheel was gone.

Within the next 24 hours, I noticed a new noise in the rear. This time it was (hard to explain, but...) a whirling kind of whining, metalic sounding whoo whoo whoo whoo on what sounds like the rear "LEFT" section of the vehicle when making a "LEFT" turn. Its kind of comparable to a pulsating squeal but with a lower end tone/frequency.

Breaks on or off, it makes the same noise and is seemingly more obvious when everything is warmed up. I dont think it makes the sound for the first few minutes or so of driving, if so, its more subtle.

Im scared to death that its an issue with the rear axle, diff, bearings, hub...

Or it could have something to do with the new rotors? Ive put something like 150 miles on since the rotor job a few days ago, so I would assume that they are pretty broken in. Ton of highway trips over the weekend and everything else seems perfect. Just while making left turns.

Hope its something simple but if this sounds familiar to anyone, please chime in. Thanks! (Still in love with this beast by the way)

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Did it make the sound prior to the new brakes? If not then odd are its something to do with the install/parts that your mechanic just performed. Or maybe its just a bad wheel bearing/hub assembly. Thats an easy fix if that the problem.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, and no, the sound was not there at all prior to having the new rear breaks and rotors installed.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So this is a little random, but while outside having my morning coffee, I hear this:

The sound is just about exactly the same but at a faster rate, when I take a left turn...

I doubt I have a morning dove stuck in my rotor, but that's what it sounds like.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Thats typically the problem when you hear noise coming from a tire when a rock is stuck. I wasnt able to view the video. At work and youtube isnt allowed. lol

·
Registered
554 Posts
Wheel bearings usually vibrate and/or have more of a grinding sound. I've had the pebble in the front brake shield, and it sounds like a pebble in the shield!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Wheel bearings usually vibrate and/or have more of a grinding sound. I've had the pebble in the front brake shield, and it sounds like a pebble in the shield!
Yeah either that or the shield is bent in towards the rotor causing contact. I've seen that before. But most likey just a rock or something stuck in there.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had the same issue about a year back after replacing my rear brakes, pads and rotors, and what it was in my case, they put on a bad rotor that was warped. Once I got rolling it would heat up and expand, eventually making contact with the pad at certain spots as it would spin. Once the rotor was replaced with a good one, the noise was gone.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really appreciate the feedback. So Im almost positive, at this point, that its either a warped rotor or the break pad sheild. Thanks guys. I will update when I get it figured out. I love this ****ing jeep though!!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts