Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here it is, about 6:45 am and I am stopped in traffic.

I see this pickup truck coming rather fast in my rearview mirror when I saw and heard him trying desprately to stop.

Screeeeeech! BAM!

Just like that.

I aske my nephew, who was sitting in the back seat if he was okay. He was fine.

I got out to see the massive amounts of damage. Except there was none.

The driver of the truck that hit me got out and looked. He said, "Wow! That's one tough truck you got there!" I replied, "Well, yeah. It's a Jeep."

We moved off the road and exchanged information. I took pictures.

You can see some buckling and some deformation in the plastic. The two black spots were there already.

Now his truck. It is a Dodge Ram 2500 with turbodiesel.

Note: His grill was already missing but he has severe bumper issues and no Air Conditioning as his coolant line was cut by his bumper.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Oops. I can guess where that happened too. At least you and your kid weren't hurt. Does the other guy have insurance?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. He is insured. I called his insurance this morning already.

I'm glad my two year old was not with me this morning. She screamed how she wanted to go in mommy's car so that's what we did.

I believe God was looking out for her.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Glad you're okay. The damage looks very minor... just a total replacement of the bumper cover (and possibly a cushion piece underneath), prime, and paint job. Hardly doubt it harmed your frame at all. At first glance, I was like 'where's the damage?'.

So yeah, Jeeps are built to withstand quite some punishment...now, get her fixed up and back to her clean look.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
Don't forget to check your backup sensors. Maybe your hitch took the brunt of the hit?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Glad you are OK. I also believe in Divine intervention. I cannot count how many times I have pulled off for one reason or another and when getting back on the road finding a just occurred accident I probably would have been involved with.

My wife and I just look at each other now with a knowing expression.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
jeep5253 said:
Don't forget to check your backup sensors. Maybe your hitch took the brunt of the hit?
If so, make sure that it is fully inspected by a mechanic to ensure it has damaged any of the mounting hardware. If it has, replace -- don't repair.

·
Registered
807 Posts
glad no body was hurt. It looks like youre hitch took most of it. I got hit right be fore thanksgiving in the front corner by a drunk driver while i was at a stop sign. It did $3000 in damage. there is a lot of plastic up there. but it was still drivable, atleast to get home and to the repair shops. I took mine to the Jeep Dealer body shop and had them fix it. I have mopar parts and wanted it fixed with authentic part, not after markets....they did a good job.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just got back from a repair shop my dealer farms their work to.

$643.76

Not that far off from what the guy that hit me said. He said about $600.

His insurance wants me to have it inspected by them on the 19th.

Should I bring this quote with me and present it if it is less? I don't want to screw the guy that hit me. It was just an accident. It's not like he was screwing around and being stupid. This is purely a case of Poo Poo happens.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I got in one a while back as well... With a TAXI. I'll have to upload pictures soon. Did a little more damage but it was just because of her car's bumper crushing and being able to get far enough up to dent my liftgate. Repair would of been $1400 @ Jeep. Replaced everything though and it was $2100. Gotta love The Sunshine State. Right.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Fohn_Jargo said:

$643.76

Should I bring this quote with me and present it if it is less? I don't want to screw the guy that hit me. It was just an accident. It's not like he was screwing around and being stupid. This is purely a case of Poo Poo happens.
Why do they want to wait a week? I'd want it fixed in that amount of time. Yes, take the quote with you, they may be missing something. Also, they need to provide you with a rental while yours is in the shop. Not your fault their insured made you be without a vehicle for 4 days.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My first post.

Only have had my used 2007 Overland for 2.5 weeks. Within a week, 1st snowfall, with my wife almost 8 months pregnant and 2.5 year on board she got rear ended at a stoplight.

Family fine, a bit more damage than the other poster - a couple radar sensors popped out. Taking it in Friday, will report back.

Ironically, several people made comments about buying another heavy truck and fuel costs when I bought it, and at the time I replied that my wife and kids will be in it most of the time, so who really cares? Who knew how fast I would find out. If she had been driving a Prius we could have lost a baby and/or crippled a toddler.

Will probably lock a hitch with a shackle into the receiver when I get her back!

CG
2007 Commander Overland 20K

·
Registered
30 Posts
glad to hear u guys r fine :). that dodge isn't lookin so hot

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Welcometothe new comer

Welcome cguthrie!
Glad to hear everyone is ok.
Take your estimates and compare to make sure nothing is missed.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Fohn_Jargo said:

$643.76

You can bring the quote, and if it's not much more they may just pay it on the spot. If it's one of the mobile vans they'll try and work some numbers in ADP; but if it is quite a bit more, they'll pay you for the amount they valued it at and will give the shop a supplemental.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts