Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were out by Cattaraugus Creek clearing out some over grown trails and when we were leaving the Commander got sucked into a mud hole. I was almost able to get myself out by rocking back and forth but ended up bottoming out. I need more lift and bigger tires. A rear locker would be nice too!

Sorry about the cell phone pics. We really didnt plan on going off roading or getting stuck.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Holy crow i guess you got stuck big time there :) ... I'm not sure even QDII would have helped .. thanks for the pics

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the only thing that would have really helped me is more ground clearance. I also wish that the XK wasnt so heavy. It sinks like a tank. To bad there wasnt a way to shed abot 1,000 lbs.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I think the only thing that would have really helped me is more ground clearance. I also wish that the XK wasnt so heavy. It sinks like a tank. To bad there wasnt a way to shed abot 1,000 lbs.
It IS a 7 passenger vehicle :) it's tough to keep it as light as a YJ ...

there's not too many surplus removable parts either :) ... it might be doable to make the second and third row removable ? ... that's lose quite a few pounds for off road use, and put them back in when needed

You coud lose the spare tire and go with 4 run flats for a few more (but do any run flats have a decent tread pattern for offroad?) .. but I don't think it's going to add up to 1000 pounds

How heavy are the third row seats guys? .. the second row seats would be quite a bit heavier I think

·
Registered
451 Posts
Wow. That mud hole was very misleading!!! Sure didn't look that deep!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
NICE! Is that little bro pulling you out?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At this time I'd like to offer my sawsall skills to your next project. :rofl:
Once I get another daily driver and can devote the XK to off road use only Ill let you know!

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Still looks like a better way to spend the day then in the office :)

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im probablly going to head back over there tomorrow afternoon to clear some more trails out. It's been raining ever since we left yesterday so Im sure its really muddy. Ill make sure to bring my camera thise time.

Im trying to get my buddy to come down there and go through the mud hole with his FJ Cruiser. He has a lot better chance of making it through then I did because he has a 6 inch lift and 35 inch Nitto Mud Grapplers. Ill get it on video if he goes with me.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Bigger tires and a lift?!? In chocolate pudding mud like that you need hovercraft skirting and a blower fan. :D I'm not sure tracks would've got you thru THAT stuff. :D

As for the third row seat, I can tell you it's heavy. I removed mine and built a storage area instead. (I posted a thread with photos a while back) I'd love to put it up into the rafters of the shop, but I can barely lift it despite being 6' 6'' and 325 lbs. :) I'm guessing the seat weighs at least 150 lbs.

On edit... there's a reason we always pack walking sticks along. At spots like that, you get out and check it with the stick... if it sinks in all the way to the hilt, do NOT drive thru it!! Another primary use when hiking is to flip rattlesnakes out of the way. :)

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I knew how deep the mud hole was but didint plan on going through the middle of it. I had put my passenger side tires on dry dirt and only the drivers side tires were in the mud hole. Due to the angle I was at and the weight of the Commander, the mud hole just sucked me right in. Like I said earlier, I was almost able to get out but ended up bottoming out on the front cross member.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
That thing was pretty deep...

P.S. No one plans on getting stuck!!!:rofl:

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The guy with the FJ wasnt able to make it out there today due to work. So basically we just went back there and cleared a few more trails out. No pictures were taken since no one attempted to go through the mud hole today. Once we get the FJ down there Ill post pics and video.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We headed back over to Cattaraugus Creek again and brought Shawn with his lifted FJ Cruiser. A few weeks ago the creek had flooded really bad due to the heavy rains leaving the entire area nothing but mud!

I had gone down there a few days ago and was to lazy to air down and ended up getting burried in one of the mud holes. Once I got pulled out I still couldnt get traction in the deep mud since I had 40 psi in the tires. THis time I aired down to 15 psi and was able to get amazing traction.

I went around the mud hole that I got stuck in the other day and convinced Shawn that he should go through it and that he would have no problems making it through since his truck was so much bigger then mine. Well I was wrong. He got his truck burried and the water was up to his door handle on the passenger side of his FJ. He ended up taking in a lot of water on the passenger side. I took a few pictures with my phone but it was so dark that you can barely seen anything. In the first picture you can see that the water was up to his yellow marker lights and in the second picture you can see how high his marker lights sit. His FJ is huge.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I bet that made Shawn happy, he didn't seem to like mud too much. That thing was in deep!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts