Jeep Commander Forum banner

GPS Antenna

15K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Yeggster 
#1 ·
Where does Jeep/D/C install the GPS antenna for the in-dash navigation system? How is the cable routed?

#4 ·
Factory GPS Antenna location

I have a 08 Commander with MyGig, no navigation. I am thinking of buying a MyGig with navigation from ebay. I figured it would be plug and play but didn't think about the Gps antenna. Can anyone tell me where the GPS antenna goes and if it is an easy install? Also can I still use my free year of Sirius with the new radio? Thanks alot I have only had my Commander for 5 days and love it.

#5 ·
The GPS antenna mounts under the dash behind the radio. You can find them on ebay, but I ordered mine from the dealer so I'd get the correct one.

Can't answer your Sirius question, but I wouldn't think the head unit change would affect the subscription since its tied to the Sirius unit's serial number, not the head unit's.

#6 ·
nofooter said:
Also can I still use my free year of Sirius with the new radio?
You can call Sirius and ask them at 1-888-539-SIRIUS (7474).

#7 ·
nofooter said:
Also can I still use my free year of Sirius with the new radio? Thanks alot I have only had my Commander for 5 days and love it.
I traded my first Comander in the day after I baught it, Sirius transfered my free year to the new vehicle. The only issue I had was when I renewed at the end of the year they added the renewal to the origial unit and I lost service for a few days until we figured out what happened. All is good now.

#11 ·
Hemi-Overland said:
is the GPS antenna and the sirius antenna the same part? Just curious and not my area of expertise.
No they are not the same. The Sirius antenna is that black thing on top of the roof near the back.

#13 ·
REC navi antenna questions

I took delivery of a used 2007 Commander Overland today. It has the REC head unit with navi and backup camera.

When I press the navi button I get an error message that says the GPS antenna is not connected.

I don't have any hardcopy manuals for the vehicle (hope to buy some on eBay). I have a PDF of the Owner Manual. It doesn't mention this error.

Does anybody have any insight into this problem? Where is the GPS antenna located? What wiring harness(es) does it go through? How can I go about verifying that all the wiring is properly connected, i.e. that it hasn't vibrated loose? I'm an electrical engineer with some aptitude for this stuff, so I'm not opposed to pulling the head unit out to check wiring.

Thanks in advance for your help.

#14 ·
The GPS antenna is located under the dash behind the head unit. You need to remove the entire dash bezel, then the radio and you'll see the antenna. It's a separate single wire with a square white plug that plus into the back of the head unit.

#15 ·
Do I need a NAV antenna, too?

Greetings everyone!

I just purchased a 2008 Commander Sport w/o Nav and purchased an RB1 nav unit from Ebay. Since my current radio has Sirius installed, do I need another antenna for the Nav system to work? If so, where do I mount it? I'd hate to drill a hole in the roof of my Commander!

BTW, the Nav unit is an RER and the last 4 digits of the part number are 4401, which should be the slow CAN bus model.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dave

#16 ·
You will need an antenna, should have come with your NAV unit and you can install it on the dash.

#18 ·
So which unit is it ? Is it the RB1 or the RER (MyGIG) ?

#19 ·
RE: Do I need a separate Nav antenna?

Hey!

It's an RER unit. If I need an antenna, I'm just curious what other folks have done to not clutter their Commander. I saw one post that stated to put it on the dash.

Thanks for the guidance and also for welcoming me to the forum!

Dave

#20 ·
I thought the GPS Antennae is under the dash close to where the radio mounts? On the WK it's right behind the radio on a L bracket so it sees through the dash. RER GPS Antenna is going to run around $30 if memory serves correctly.

#21 ·
Yes that right GPS attennae mounts within the dash cavity with small brackets behind the radio ... it's not visable when the job is done and wiring is simple

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.