• April 5 or 12

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about a trip to the bottom of the Grand Canyon? I have been thinking about this for a while and thought it would be a fun trip with some more Commanders.

There is a road to the bottom of the Grand Canyon from Peach Springs, AZ (Radiator Springs in the movie cars) and you can even camp there if you wanted to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQvK9_AYRxI

The Road: The track down to the Colorado starts from the end of a residential street at the northeast edge of town; for the first few miles, the road passes along a dry, dusty stream bed in a small canyon, past clumps of trees and bushes, and then crosses more open land with scattered cacti - close to the springs after which canyon and town are named. The canyon proper starts 6 miles from town - the road through it is quite straight and the surface is fine for normal cars although a bit uneven in places. As the canyon deepens, the types of cacti and other plants change noticeably, especially in early summer when they are in flower. There are distinct bands of large white lilies, clusters of purple echinocacti, various colors of opuntia, and finally ocotillo and large ferocacti at the lowest elevations near the river.

Diamond Creek: The surrounding cliffs become steadily higher and more impressive, and several side canyons join from both sides, including the ominous-sounding Hells Canyon. The last branch is Diamond Creek Canyon, which has water flowing through all year round. The road then crosses the creek about 6 times, and for a short distance runs along the streambed. The water was at most 4 inches deep in late June, but may of course be much deeper at other times. There is a car park and camping area just before the first stream crossing. 1.5 miles after the creek is first encountered, the road emerges onto a wide, sandy beach beside the Colorado river, a total journey time of almost 2 hours.

Permits:
All travel off the main road into the Hualapai Reservation requires a permit; the cost was increased in 2008 to $16 per person. They may be purchased from the Hualapai Lodge, in the center of Peach Springs on US 66.

Anyone interested?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sounds fun...Dont know if I will have time but keep me posted on dates if you can get enough people interested. Im thinking about going through that way to Colorado in July, but could possible get down there before that :)

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Sounds like fun, never been down there. Have to see how the job & money are then, but if they're good, I'm in!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Aw, nuts... Why is everything so far away...? :mofo:

·
Registered
181 Posts
That's not too far from here. I'd be up for it! I voted for the March dates, but would be available most weekends. Maybe I could round up the other Vegas guys and we could caravan down!

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My shift changed at work (I get to set my own schedule) So almost any weekend would work and as I said you can camp at the river so an overnight would be great.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm in. Sounds like a blast.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Sounds awesome... my dad and I have been talking about me making a road trip your way to haul a trailer for him, I will keep checking the thread in case by some chance I can make it I will.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I think I have to move down there in AZ so that I can join!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I called the lodge to get info for july and the permits are $20.00 a person now. Let us know what weekend you guys are planning on going :)

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I called the lodge to get info for july and the permits are $20.00 a person now. Let us know what weekend you guys are planning on going :)
Right now it looks like a toss up between March & May, Maybe May is best so people can make plans?

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How about May 2 & 3?

The following weekend ( 9th & 10th) works also but it is Mother's day weekend.

The third weekend there is another Jeep group going in so it could be crowded and the 4th weekend is the holiday

·
Super Moderator
14,916 Posts
I can't do May 2nd. It's my birthday.

·
Registered
228 Posts
great place to have a birthday party!

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Anyone interested in May 2 & 3 (camping overnite at the bottom of the Grand Canyon on the night of the 2nd) ?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts

Anyone interested in May 2 & 3 (camping overnite at the bottom of the Grand Canyon on the night of the 2nd) ?
I'm going to talk to my wife. We've talked about a trip to the Canyon from time to time. I've never been there. If we go, we'll want to see some other stuff out west too. However I had been thinking of a fall trip after the sailboat is put away. I'll let you know. If we can't make this trip, maybe some folks will want to go (again) this fall.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If we can't make this trip, maybe some folks will want to go (again) this fall.
That would be good too, you just dont want to go during the summer as it is REAL HOT down there.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
That would be good too, you just dont want to go during the summer as it is REAL HOT down there.
Yah, that's what my wife said last time we talked about it.

49'er, the more I think about it, I think this fall will work better for us. With my wife's mother being sick (probably going home from the hospital this weekend), then opening the cabin up north this spring and my (new to me) sailboat, I think we'll have plenty to occupy us. I'm not complaining. It is nice to have too many toys -- ha ha. But Fall will be more relaxing for us.

Wishing all who go, lot's of safe fun!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts