Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Daily driving and weekend trail rides easy to moderate difficulty? (265/70/17 or 255/75/17).

Having a tough time choosing so pics and or stories would be great!

Thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just my .02 on the subject...you'll have a greater selection if you go with 265/70. Unless you can get a deal on some JK take offs which would be 255/75. Personally I'd stick to an AT tire, or an AT/MT hybrid like Duratracs (which is what I have). Depends on your preference and how much noise you can put up with. The Duratracs you def hear & feel they're there if you've been riding on the stockers for a while. It's not bad though. From a looks standpoint they're awesome, but they're pricey so if budget is a concern you may want to consider other options.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I love my 265/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. They are a great offroad tire with an aggressive look, while still having the tread wear and on road handling of an all-terrain. I've been able to get through quite the mud in 'em haha.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Go with the duratrac's. I know a lot of guys running them and they absolutely love them. Great tire in the snow too! I personally swear by the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar but they are expensive and probably way more agressive than what you are looking for

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I have BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain T/A's on my Commander. Love them.

They are NOT as smooth as the OEM tires on the Freeway at Highway speeds, but they really aren't much rougher, and most people wouldn't even notice.

Road Noise at high speed, is noticeably higher than OEM, but still very tolerable, might have to turn up the stereo an additional notch.

I suspect the Duratrac's have the same characteristics, judging by the same large block tread.

Honestly, I think its a great compromise for so much better snow/mud off road capability, the large block tread for those abilities make for rougher and noisier ride at high speeds. My BFG Rugged Terrain T/A, and I suspect the same for the GY Duratrac's, make a great compromise by only reducing the Smooth Road High Speed characteristics a bit, but still very much in the comfortable and tolerable range.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Daily driving and weekend trail rides easy to moderate difficulty? (265/70/17 or 255/75/17).

Having a tough time choosing so pics and or stories would be great!

Thanks
I would do the 265/70s for choice, which I did, as others have said but there are also a lot of good ones in 255/75.

I have ran the following brands and types in the past 5 years on 3 different vehicles (& in various sizes) so keep in mind road manners change depending the vehicle:
Firestone Destination AT, General Grabber AT2, Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ (two sets), Duratracs, Pro Comp ATs.

I would say on the XK run the Duratracs or Grabber AT2s out of the ones I've tried. The MTZs are by far and wide the better off road tire however. Probably the best tire I've owned and I've ran two different sets, 33x12.5 and 35x12.5.

All around the Duratracs and Grabber AT2s would be the best from what I've owned with the Duratracs being better offroad. The Grabbers are noisy at 45-65 kph. Between those two it just depends how aggressive you want them and how good off road, on the road they are generally about the same.

Also, for review purposes check out places like http://www.1010tires.com/ but always call the forum sponsors first when ready to purchase, of course. :) Some sites like 1010 just have a ton of user reviews. Or...http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f211/

·
Registered
1 Posts
The nice thing about 255/75 is that you can usually find great deals on Craigslist for wrangler take-offs. Not uncommon to find full sets of 5 Goodyear Wranglers (with wheels), almost new for $350 - $400. Spring is the best time of the year for these deals though. It seems as everyone wants to lift their Jeeps for the summer and then are trying to give away the old wheel and tire sets.
I like the look of a more aggressive tire, but I whenever I contemplate changing, I fall into another set of practically new Wranglers that I can't pass up.
Also, if you have spacers, there are no issues running those wheel sets either.

Saw one set of new anniversary Rubicon wheels and tires go for $650 a few weeks ago. (Unfortunately I was not fast enough for that one though. Think those wheels would look great on a Commander.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have had four sets of toyo open country h/t on suvs that had a thousand pounds on any Commander. Great tire. Got 65k to 70k on each set. Tires really show their best in bad weather. Track thru rain better than any other tire I have used in 35 years. Good snow and ice traction even in a 2wd vehicle. No notable road noise.Have them Currently on my commander and it amazes me on the cornering and ride.

But why trust me?
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/wheels-tires/129-0805-toyo-open-country-ht-tire-test/

if these are too mild you could go A/T or M/T.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I recently got Duratracts which I like.
Previously I had Goodyear Silent Armors. Both great tires. Silent armors were a little less aggressive than the Duratracts but they were great in snow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts