Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to drive to NM next weekend for my daughters soccer tournament and thought about stopping by the Great Sand Dunes National Park near Alamosa - has anyone ever been there? I know this won't match what "Ahmed" gets to play in, but thought it would be a cool side trip.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have been there a couple of times and to the best of my knowledge you are not allowed to drive in the dunes. It is foot traffic an sledding only. Very neat place tho. Especially the disappearing river

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw later today that there is a "historic road" that is for high-clearance 4x4's only but is closed because of snow right now...still might go to let the kids, and me, play.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My buddy went camping there about a month ago and the park was still open but there is alot of snow on the roads. I forget what pass in the park he went through but he said it was kinda scary with the snow.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My buddy went camping there about a month ago and the park was still open but there is alot of snow on the roads. I forget what pass in the park he went through but he said it was kinda scary with the snow.
I'm thinking now that this trip might just be to the visitors center and snowboarding on the dunes with a side trip to the gator farm down the road...thanks.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
looks like a typical colorado day - snow on the ground and the sun shinning bright...i'll post some pics next week.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Last time I was at the dunes was in 2003. You were allowed to drive them, but you had to lower your tire pressure and have a tow strap. Then again that was 6 years ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts