Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Limited HEMI 4x4
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am just now getting around to posting but I've utilized this forum and have learned a ton since I got my XK almost a year ago. My boyfriend has worked on a few cars before and has a jeep himself, so when I decided to buy the Commander I knew we would be putting some work into it. And oh boy, it definitely needed a lot of work! We've replaced the entire front suspension and most of the back, all fluids except for rear dif, front wheel hub/bearings, brakes, sunroof seal, starter, driver and passenger interior door handles, serpentine belt, a couple pulleys, air intake, stereo, all front dif bushings (using jeeperf for pinion bushing) and the steering rack also with jeeperf upgrades. We had trans fluid and coolant leaks to deal with right away (thank you, Chrysler, for the shoddy design/engineering) and replaced the heater hose plastic t-fittings with brass, as well as the transmission cooler lines with regular hose and clamps(due to leaking at original clamps). I've done a few things cosmetically but most of the money has gone where you can't see it.

Unfortunately, when I was driving from Southern California to Arizona a few months ago pretty much the worst thing that could've happened, happened. It was a long drive, I was driving alone, had to pee, and totally forgot to let my car cool down before shutting it off at a rest stop to use the restroom. It was May and pretty damn hot in El Centro and I knew immediately when I shut my engine off that it was the wrong thing to do. I had even watched (months before) a YouTube video of a guy with a Charger explaining the valve seat dropping issue and what you need to do to prevent it..sigh... I didn't know right away what was wrong with my car. When it didn't start at first I thought it was just from my weakening fuel pump and being low-ish on fuel. Some nice people tried helping out but ultimately I got her towed into a shop in Calexico and that's where they confirmed the dropped valve seat the next day. So, got her towed again to Tucson where I reside now and she's been sitting for the past 4 months in my garage. I've decided to purchase a reman engine and I'm going to have a shop install it. Hoping to finally get that done in the next month. While they're at it I have a set of 6.1 headers that I've been waiting to put on and also a Flowmaster 50 series muffler. I absolutely cannot wait to bring her back to life!

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Car

Car Steering part Automotive design Satellite radio Vehicle

Car Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light Vehicle

Reactions: jeep5253

·
Administrator
16,114 Posts
@jeepjeephooray Welcome to the forum! You have a nice looking Commander. It's a shame you put all that work into it and then have the dropped valve seat. I have never heard of having to let it cool down before shutting off. Unless it was overheating there should not have been a problem.

·
Registered
2008 XK 4.7L 4x4 (QT1) Flex-Fuel Sport
14 Posts
Geez. I just started in this forum, but have also been skulking around the boards without an account for a while - and never saw anything about letting it cool down to avoid this. Now I'm paranoid. If anyone has more info on this phenom, enquiring minds want to know!

I wanted to ask on your sys rebuild, what did you do for your LCA's. I was torn between getting a pair of Proforged, or just rebuilding the originals, and decided on the latter, so I got a pair of Mevotech TTX ball joint ordered, and was going to splurge on the Jeeperf bushings, but I have heard from a couple folks they are more of a gimmick, and that even the soft bushings transferred a lot more through them than the standard rubber ones.
Was wondering if you had any thoughts on them, since you used Jeeperf products in your rebuild - at least for the steering.
Thanks, cheers, and good luck!
AP

·
Registered
2006 Limited HEMI 4x4
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Geez. I just started in this forum, but have also been skulking around the boards without an account for a while - and never saw anything about letting it cool down to avoid this. Now I'm paranoid. If anyone has more info on this phenom, enquiring minds want to know!

I wanted to ask on your sys rebuild, what did you do for your LCA's. I was torn between getting a pair of Proforged, or just rebuilding the originals, and decided on the latter, so I got a pair of Mevotech TTX ball joint ordered, and was going to splurge on the Jeeperf bushings, but I have heard from a couple folks they are more of a gimmick, and that even the soft bushings transferred a lot more through them than the standard rubber ones.
Was wondering if you had any thoughts on them, since you used Jeeperf products in your rebuild - at least for the steering.
Thanks, cheers, and good luck!
AP
You should check out this video! This is how I learned about the valveseat dropping issue before it ended up happening to me. This guy explains it all really well! If you don't live in a super hot environment I wouldn't be too worried. I had just driven 2.5 hours going 80-90mph, it was 90-something degrees and I had just come out of a mountainous region so the engine was running super hot.

I would say good choice on rebuilding the original LCA! That's what we did. It was a lot of work to pull/press the bushings but I didn't see a point in wasting the perfectly good cast iron. I'm not sure I would go with jeeperf for LCA. I liked their front differential pinion bushing because that seems to be a problem area for commanders. Seems like jeeperf bushings might be a tad excessive for this application. I went with Moog for the bushings and ACDelco for the ball joints and spent about $130. I got Mevotech for upper control arms and had a good experience with those (after having a TERRIBLE experience with SKP brand--I would never recommend them). I drove for about 5 months on those new parts before my engine failed but everything felt great. She was an absolute beast the one time we got to go off-roading!

Oh and @Papakava I forgot to mention, the video refers mainly to hemis probably because it's more prone to happen to the 5.7 due to its power, but I have read some accounts of it happening to 4.7s. It won't happen though without a certain set of circumstances and biggest thing is overheating. Not trying to scare you. Just good to know!

·
Registered
2006 Limited HEMI 4x4
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@jeepjeephooray Welcome to the forum! You have a nice looking Commander. It's a shame you put all that work into it and then have the dropped valve seat. I have never heard of having to let it cool down before shutting off. Unless it was overheating there should not have been a problem.
@jeep5253 Thank you! I know, it was so heartbreaking. I had just gotten a professional alignment done and that drive was feeling amazing!
I'm assuming overheating was what led to the failure. I had just been driving for a couple hours going 80-90mph and had just exited a mountainous area and entered the lovely 90-something degree desert. The engine was definitely running very hot when I shut it down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts