Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined the forum and looking forward to learning from the experience of other members. I have been lurking about the site without being a member.

I have a 2010 Commander Limited, 5.7ltr hemi, QTII, whch i have owned since 2015.

Stock now, except for Bilstein 4600 shocks. I finally have some $$ and so am thinking about installing a 2" inch lift.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I just joined the forum and looking forward to learning from the experience of other members. I have been lurking about the site without being a member.

I have a 2010 Commander Limited, 5.7ltr hemi, QTII, whch i have owned since 2015.

Stock now, except for Bilstein 4600 shocks. I finally have some $$ and so am thinking about installing a 2" inch lift.
Welcome to the forum @CaptainJeepCommando;

Post some pics of your Commander when you can; Here are some links to help you look for lifts - or any other parts for repairs or upgrades to your XK;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: https://www.factorychryslerparts.com/

North American Parts: https://northamericanparts.rpmware.com/store/account/login.aspx

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - https://www.justforjeeps.com/

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - https://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjwiYG9BRCkgK-G45S323oSJABnykKAhh8eDfktvKOcXIbZZtyM9MiasWVk-Mba45s2yxNrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

JeepSteel Custom Bumpers - https://www.jeepsteel.com/

4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/jeep,2006?a=Referer+www.google.com+URL+/en/catalog/jeep

Also, please read the new member required reading below if you haven't done so already; lots of good information in here;

REQUIRED READING!!! New Member Introduction post & other important new member info.

Thanks and again, welcome aboard.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you also for the greeting jeep 5253.

I apologize for a stupid question -- how do you subscribe to a thread? I don't see any obvious "subscribe" button. Also, is there a "help" section on the website that explains how to do basic things in the forum?

Forgive me for my inexperience. I am pretty new to internet forums, but am amazed at the amount of information this site has, particularly after wrenching on my own for so many years.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Thank you also for the greeting jeep 5253.

I apologize for a stupid question -- how do you subscribe to a thread? I don't see any obvious "subscribe" button. Also, is there a "help" section on the website that explains how to do basic things in the forum?

Forgive me for my inexperience. I am pretty new to internet forums, but am amazed at the amount of information this site has, particularly after wrenching on my own for so many years.

@CaptainJeepCommando, to subscribe to a thread click on "Thread Tools" at the top of the thread and select "Subscribe to Thread." There is a "User CP" button in the top right corner of the page (I'm on a computer so it may be different on a mobile device) where you can change things related to your member account. Other than that if you just poke around and click on the various buttons things should be pretty clear. But if you have trouble with something or don't understand something don't hesitate to ask.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, I see it now. Part of my problem is that I was trying to do this on my cellphone, where the functionality seems to be less than on the desktop.

There is great stuff in these forums. Looking through the discussions the past several days, I feel like I am re-living many of the issues that I have had over the last 5 years -- the 0456 diagnostic code, the service 4wd light, the leaky sunroof. But those all little issues -- the Commander is a great vehicle.

My newbie question phase should now be ending. Sorry for the trouble.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Thank you, I see it now. Part of my problem is that I was trying to do this on my cellphone, where the functionality seems to be less than on the desktop.

There is great stuff in these forums. Looking through the discussions the past several days, I feel like I am re-living many of the issues that I have had over the last 5 years -- the 0456 diagnostic code, the service 4wd light, the leaky sunroof. But those all little issues -- the Commander is a great vehicle.

Yes, the Commander is a great vehicle! I have had mine for 12 years now. And yes, there are common problems that they all seem to have sooner or later. I get the P0456 (evap leak) from time to time and just ignore it. Eventually it will go away for several months or longer and then show up again (?). Who knows? It doesn't seem to affect anything. No trouble at all, @CaptainJeepCommando, that is what we are here for.:smile2:

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts

That's a fact @CaptainJeepCommando; That's why I recommend in the New Member Required Reading that you log-in from a Desktop or Laptop computer when logging into the forum for the first time, if at all possible;

No matter what the make & model of Smart phone you use, you simply can not access the full functionality - or all the options the forum has to offer from a Smart phone; I just bought a Samsung Galaxy S10 + and I still can't access the full functionality of the forum; It's due to the limitations of Smart Phone/Mobile-View Web APP.

I've brought this up with the Administrators on more than one occasion and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On the 00456 code issue, my wife complains when the engine light is on and says the gas mileage is worse (and wives are always correct). So I have to get out the code reader and clear the code, and then the light turns back on after a few weeks. I have been replacing parts in the evap system one by one and also took it to a mechanic once, who ran a smoke test but couldn’t find an issue. I am going to next try to replace the fuel inlet hose, but I think that will require a lift to drop the gas tank.

One more issue —my state has emissions testing and I assume they would fail the Jeep if this code appeared. And I learned that you can’t take it for testing right after clearing the code (I tried and the Jeep failed) because the vehicle has to go through a complete cycle. I got it through last year by waiting and praying but the Jeep must pass the test every two years. Would be nice to disable the evap system but I guess we need clean air to breathe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Big Blue

It is pretty amazing that we can even do this on our cellphones so I am not complaining about the reduced functionality on the cellphone now that I understand it. This would be like Star Trek stuff when I was a kid, and now we take it for granted.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
On the 00456 code issue, my wife complains when the engine light is on and says the gas mileage is worse (and wives are always correct). So I have to get out the code reader and clear the code, and then the light turns back on after a few weeks. I have been replacing parts in the evap system one by one and also took it to a mechanic once, who ran a smoke test but couldn’t find an issue. I am going to next try to replace the fuel inlet hose, but I think that will require a lift to drop the gas tank.

One more issue —my state has emissions testing and I assume they would fail the Jeep if this code appeared. And I learned that you can’t take it for testing right after clearing the code (I tried and the Jeep failed) because the vehicle has to go through a complete cycle. I got it through last year by waiting and praying but the Jeep must pass the test every two years. Would be nice to disable the evap system but I guess we need clean air to breathe.

This may be helpful;

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/58-diagnostic-trouble-codes-dtc/7381-code-p0456-%3D-evaporative-emissions-system-small-leak-detected.html

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/9-problems-dealer-service/74743-new-owner-new-problem.html

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts

Have you tried a new gas cap?

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Big Blue

It is pretty amazing that we can even do this on our cellphones so I am not complaining about the reduced functionality on the cellphone now that I understand it. This would be like Star Trek stuff when I was a kid, and now we take it for granted.

Yep, I'm right there with you CJC;

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jeep 5253

Yes, I have tried replacing the gas cap several times and even tried putting petroleum jelly on the threads, thinking that could help prevent a leak. I last tried buying a MOPAR OEM gas cap from the dealer thinking that the cheap Autozone gas caps were the problem, and that seemed to work for awhile (about two months).

I have also noticed that keeping the gas level above one half seems to keep the code from showing. It is like a detective mystery

Maybe I will just put a piece of duct tape over the engine light.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts