Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here and I'm exploring the notion of buying a Commander.
Please tell me the horror stories i'm reading are the exception and not the rule...

For those who want to know, I'm a former KC-135 boom operator, so my handle "nkawtg" stands for "Nobody Kicks Ass Without Tanker Gas"

·
Registered
351 Posts
Any 10-14yo vehicle will have some problems. If you want a capable 4x4 that has character and soul, then you found the right place

·
Registered
157 Posts
All in all those "horror" stories are not common and not generally Jeep specific, but were more over MOPAR problems. The biggest being a dropped valve seat in the 5.7, happened on the other engines also just not as often. That has been correlated with an engine overheating first. The heads were redesigned in the later years and I haven't heard of any valve seats dropping in the 2009 and 2010 model years. I think a lot of people also have an unrealistic expectation, yes it is a very capable and rugged 4x4, but it's not going to like doing 30 through a bolder field.
For me it is the best combination of capability, room (I have 5 kids), and power (I tow a 30' travel trailer) that is on the market.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I noticed the dropped valve seat issue was typically after an overheat.
Was the failure shortly after the overheat?
Is there any way to discern if an engine had ever overheated?
If I can find a nice one I'm ripping out the third row to install drawers and a pull out galley.
Give it a mild lift (2") and decent tires.
I'm not rock climbing, somehow I don't find that enjoyable, I do enjoy getting out and away from the crowds.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thanks, I noticed the dropped valve seat issue was typically after an overheat.
Was the failure shortly after the overheat?
Is there any way to discern if an engine had ever overheated?
If I can find a nice one I'm ripping out the third row to install drawers and a pull out galley.
Give it a mild lift (2") and decent tires.
I'm not rock climbing, somehow I don't find that enjoyable, I do enjoy getting out and away from the crowds.
I can't say that there would be clear and direct evidence of overheating, but if it has a new radiator, hoses, and water pump beware.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New guy here and I'm exploring the notion of buying a Commander.
Please tell me the horror stories i'm reading are the exception and not the rule...

For those who want to know, I'm a former KC-135 boom operator, so my handle "nkawtg" stands for "Nobody Kicks Ass Without Tanker Gas"
I would steer clear of the 5.7L engine. My Overland dropped a valve seat at 111K miles. Replaced the engine through a Jeep dealer with a new Chrysler 5.7L. It dropped a valve seat at 60K but past the 36 month warranty. $20k later, the third engine has 36K miles on it and still running. I don't do anything exceptional load wise to get it hot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Make sure the a/c is in good working order...It's common to have an evaporator leak, which involves removing the entire dash to replace. My 2010 leaked and I refilled until the compressor locked up. I got it all back together and working great now. I have the 3.7 V6 2wd and have had no issues for 160k and get about 18 mpg on the highway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts