Jeep Commander Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
6,288 Posts
I know 1 bad cylinder in the v8 runs like total crap....IF you can even get it started. So no doubt coolant in 1 cylinder of a v6 would have the same effect you're getting! Of course....if you didn't know the previous owner personally....who knows what the REAL story is....:LOL:
This is so true, that's what stinks about being the 3rd or 4th owner of an XK.

Even 2nd owners are often left a bunch of problems to discover & fix.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
if you didn't know the previous owner personally....who knows what the REAL story is....:LOL:
Yeah, he seemed alright enough. He came down to $350 on it though (same as the scrapyard offered) so I can't say I'm surprised. I assumed I'd be running into something major sooner or later, guess it's better now than somewhere between PA and MA.

·
Administrator
6,288 Posts
Yeah, he seemed alright enough. He came down to $350 on it though (same as the scrapyard offered) so I can't say I'm surprised. I assumed I'd be running into something major sooner or later, guess it's better now than somewhere between PA and MA.
It absolutely is. I hope you get it sorted out.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Ha....for sure!
$350 ain't so bad, all things considered. Even if worse case you have to replace the heads and get it running (doing the work yourself), you'd still be ahead on costs!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So I've been doing some work to get down to the head. I see in the service manual, to remove the intake manifold, you have to lower the right side of the engine by removing the bolt at the mount, supporting the engine with a special tool to lift it back in to place...it looks kind of like an engine leveler on some square stock braced on the engine bay. Any tips on getting the intake off without dropping the engine? Would a leveler and some square stock work, or should I shell out for a shop crane for like $200?

It looks like it's the right side head, and I'm considering just picking up a complete reman head with cams and all. I'm just going to assume there's going to be issues there, and pulling the cams looks like a whole lot of fun. Anything I should be on the lookout for?

·
Registered
194 Posts
So I've been doing some work to get down to the head. I see in the service manual, to remove the intake manifold, you have to lower the right side of the engine by removing the bolt at the mount, supporting the engine with a special tool to lift it back in to place...it looks kind of like an engine leveler on some square stock braced on the engine bay. Any tips on getting the intake off without dropping the engine? Would a leveler and some square stock work, or should I shell out for a shop crane for like $200?

It looks like it's the right side head, and I'm considering just picking up a complete reman head with cams and all. I'm just going to assume there's going to be issues there, and pulling the cams looks like a whole lot of fun. Anything I should be on the lookout for?
One thing I learned while rebuilding my 5.7.....if the manual says you gotta do something that seems really excessive, then there's no way around it. I tried to outsmart the manual so many times, and ended up in defeat with a lot of wasted time than had i just followed the instructions correctly the first time 😄 😄
For example: In order to remove the oil pump on the 5.7, you have to remove the oil pan, which requires removing the entire front axle/diff assembly (not just dropping, you have to COMPLETELY REMOVE IT) AND unbolt and raise the entire engine 3"....😩

SOO.....since it's telling you that you gotta move the engine, I would suggest the Engine Support Bar from Harbor Freight....it's only $80 unless you can add a coupon to it...of course 4th of July sales JUST ended, lol. LINK: 1000 lb. Capacity Engine Support Bar Once supported, you can raise and lower the engine easily with this thing.
It doesn't take up nearly as much space as a cherry picker and costs way less....unless you're planning on actually removing the engine, or just want a full hoist anyways.
Another thing....if you are considering replacing one head, it's usually a good idea to do both at the same time. Especially considering the condition of that engine....just a thought ;)
Here's mine in action:

21 - 27 of 27 Posts