Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Folks, forgive me if I have posted this thread incorrectly or in the wrong place but I recently had my local Jeep dealer install the Polar Bear grille guard onto the front of my 2006 Commander. As I was leaving the dealer I asked my friend to look in the back and see if they left any packaging or such behind and he said,"nothing except 2 hooks"

So I was wondering if the design of the Commander prevents you from having both on the same hook up/mount point or is the delaer just ill-informed or not properly trained in these installs.....?

Thanks Folks'

·
Super Moderator
14,912 Posts
I've been on the Forum for almost 5 years and have never heard of the Polar Bear grille guard. Got any pics ?

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
I believe its very similar to a " Westin " grill guard like I have on my 93 ZJ.

See; http://www.google.com/images?q=Polar+Bear+grille+guard&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7GGLF_en&prmd=ivns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&wrapid=tlif130123254838510&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&sa=X&ei=uDuPTYX1C7KF0QHJ_fGbCw&ved=0CFcQsAQ4Cg&biw=1132&bih=565

I was originally looking for one like this for my Commander. I couldn't find an app for mine and I have only seen one photo of this type on a Commander before.

IAMTHECOMMANDER, I would also like to see your photos, sorry I can't help with your question about the mount points.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
From what I understand, these grill guards use the same mounting holes as the tow hooks. The only one that I know of that doesn't use the tow hook holes is the Mopar Grill Guard made specifically for the Commander. Along with your hooks, there should be 2 mounting blocks as well as the bolts, unless the dealer used them to mount the guard. But, it would seem to me that the kit would have included all of the necessary installation hardware, to install on a Commander without hooks. If you plan to sell your hooks, they are worthless without the mounting blocks. If installed without the mounting blocks, the bolts would pull right through the sheetmetal without the blocks. Thus, they would only function as appearance only. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK Guys, once again I apologize if I am replying incorrectly or in the wrong place but I think I have this thing down right now(As I am a new member effective only yesterday)
OK so there are a couple of you that have asked for photos which I have just taken with my Blackberry. If you supply me with email addresses I will forward them or I expect there is a way for me to post them to my profile but need a little guidance on how to do so.

Thanks for the info and I guess it appears as this is not a Mopar, the hooks must go right....? Unless I can have them mounted somewhere else that is stil functional yet safe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK USMC, I just emailed you what I believe to be a good quality photo so let me know what You think.

·
Super Moderator
14,912 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The brush guards Do use the same mounting locations as the tow hooks. I didnt have hooks to begin with but I would like to see if the hooks would fit along with the guard. In theory, if the hooks fit into the space, on top of the brush guard mounting plate, then you could use longer bolts and it would be all good. Someone send me some free hooks and I will try it. :)

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Got your photo,,,

·
Super Moderator
14,912 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts